License to Dive

Guest ScreamingQueen2006

Story Title: License to Dive

Type of story: Short/Medium Fic - Two Shot

Main characters: Dexter, Dallas, Xavier, Heath, John, Gina, Ruby and April.

BTTB rating: T

Genre: Comedy,

Spoilers: None

Warnings: None

Summary: Xavier is desperate to pass his driving test, but he also wants to get the girl of his dreams. When things don't quite go to plan he decides to do things his way. What could possibly go wrong?

Author's Note: Just a little story I thought about writing. I decided to make it a two shot as I'm still busy writing pieces for TAF. This is my fourth fanfic and I'm having alot of fun. Hope you guys enjoy this.

Chapter 1

“Hey Dex, I keep wondering. Is anything gonna get better for me?” Xavier watched enviously as Dallas climbed into Heath Braxton’s car.

“You know Xave.” Dexter said, as he looked on too. “The very big difference between you and that guy who wears tats for clothes is, he has a license, and you don’t.”

“Yeah, but by passing my test, I can win the virgin slayer.” Xavier stepped off the curb to cross the road, as a set of headlights came careering toward them.

“Look out!” Dexter tugged on Xavier’s sleeve and pulled him back.

The car screeched to a halt. “What’cha doing? You playing dodge the traffic or something?” Heath’s voice yelled from the driver’s window.

“Watch where you’re going you tooly.” Xavier spat.

Heath leaned his head out the open window. “Maybe next time I won’t bother hitting the brakes.”

“Wouldn’t put it past him.” Dexter whispered into his friend’s ear.

Heath wasted no time in slamming on the accelerator and driving away.

“I think Dallas is already having the ride of her life.” Dexter said. “No pun intended. Still I wonder where he got his license? ebay? a cereal box?”

Xavier shrugged.

Dexter patted the padded crossbar. “Hop on I’ll give you a lift home.”

Xavier screwed up his face. “I’ve got my driving exam later. I really don’t want to be late.”

“It’ll beat travelling on the bus.”

“Ok, but just this once.” Xavier jumped on the bike.

Dexter took off down the road, picking up speed, whizzing by people who kept jumping out of their way. Xavier hung on tightly and breathed a sigh of relief when the Austin’s front lawn came into view.

Dexter braked suddenly which resulted in Xavier falling off and rolling onto the soft grassy ground.

“There you go door to door service.” Dexter spotted the yellow V8 parked in the driveway. “Wow, this is the car you’ve been working on?”

“Yeah.” Xavier smiled. “Well me and John.”

“I didn’t know John was into cars. Do you think he’d let us take it for a spin?”

“There’s lots of things about me people don’t know, but you’re looking at a 1978 Ford Falcon V8 Dex.” John caught both of them off guard as he approached. “And no you two can’t take it out. Remember Xavier, I said when you get your license we can talk.”

“I know.”

“Now I’ve moved in Gina’s got me clearing up the removal boxes. Fancy giving me a hand?” John asked.

Dexter pretended to act as if he had a chronic cough. “I’ve just remembered I’ve got asthma, you know dust isn’t good for the lungs. I’ve gotta go, the children need me.”

“I’ll tune into Playschool tonight then.” Xavier said waving his friend goodbye.

The television studio remained quiet as the last scene rapped up.

“That’s it for today kiddos and remember don’t eat the glue.” Dexter gave a cheesy smile and wave into the camera.

“You must be Dexter?” A voice spoke from behind him.

Dexter turned round to see Dallas and swallowed hard. “Oh my.”

“My son loves you.”

Dexter gave a slight laugh. “Children usually do.”

“Well his name’s William and he won’t even let me turn off the TV when you’re on Playschool. Remind me to get your autograph for him. I think you’re his first idol.”

“That’s really awesome, maybe you could bring him in sometime and I’ll give him that autograph.”

“He’d love that, but how about we make it more personal.”

Dexter’s eyes nearly popped out of his head. “Erm…personal?”

“Yeah. Go for a milkshake at the surf club.”

Dexter smiled awkwardly. “Sure.”

“Great. See you there at 7.”

There was no way Dexter could go on a date, certainly not with the girl his friend liked. He pulled out the mobile from his pocket and dialled.

“Hey, how you doing? You’ve reached Xave. Sorry you can’t get through, but if you leave a message I’ll get back to you.”

---------

Xavier looked out of the windscreen, his hands at quarter two on the steering wheel as he sat outside the driving school. He watched as the examiner slammed the passenger door.

“You’re all rage and no road. I’m afraid you’re going to need another go.” He said.

“Whatever.” Xavier replied. “I’m not taking any more of your stupid tests.”

“Then you won’t pass.” The man grinned evilly. “It’s people like you Austin the paramedics end up scraping off the roads. For your sake and the safety of others, not to mention my reputation, I hope you forget about trying to pass you’re driving test.”

Xavier locked the driver door. “Well then I’ll go somewhere else. Somewhere I’m not destined to fail by bigot idiots like you.” He stormed off kicking up dirt as he left the examiner behind.

Later that day Xavier found John and Gina in the kitchen, busily preparing the evening meal, possibly a celebratory dinner for passing his test he thought. He felt his stomach tighten as he walked through the door.

“Well don’t keep us in suspense Xave.” Gina began instantly. “Did you pass?”

“Xave, am I glad to see you. I’ve been trying to call.” Dexter interrupted them as he walked into the house, a big cheesy grin plastered on his face. “I see the cheering squad is here.”

Xavier hesitated for a moment, and decided to tell them what they wanted to hear. “I….PASSED!”

“So tell us. Was it tough or a cinch?” John asked.

“It was like riding a bike.”

Dexter patted Xavier on the back. “Knew you’d ace it, you know they should so give licenses away.”

“You know what this means.” John spoke. “As promised.” He threw the keys to the V8 toward Xavier.

“Awesome.” Xavier said a little deflated, as he caught them in his hands.

“I thought you’d at least show a little more enthusiasm.” John added.

Xavier was about to speak but Dexter cut him off. “He’s nervous about finally being able to drive Dallas about on a date.” He handed his friend the phone. “Come on Xave, you’re a free man now, take advantage and ask her.”

Xavier dialled the number slowly and waited. “Hey, Dallas? It’s Xavier, the guy from the dance, I was wondering if…” Suddenly a worried expression spread across his face which gave everyone cause for concern, but before they could say anything Xavier said into the phone. “It’s ok don’t cry. I’ll be over there in a few minutes.”

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, so here's the last chapter of this story. I really hope you guys like it.

Chapter 2

Xavier closed the door of the driver’s side of the V8. He pulled down the visor to check himself in the mirror. “I don’t think I’ve ever been this nervous.”

“No dandruff, check. Sweaty palms, check. ” Dexter joked from the passenger seat.

Xavier turned to face his friend. “Dallas isn’t the only reason I’m nervous. She was crying, something about Heath dumping her.”

“What crazy and possibly dangerous plan do you have to go where Heath is sure to be?” Dexter asked. “That’s like suicide.”

“I say we get to the Surf Club and find her and leave, as quickly as possible.”

“Ok boss.” Dexter put on his seatbelt. “You’re not too nervous to drive are you?”

Xavier looked more guilty then nervous right now. He couldn’t hide the truth from his best friend. “About that. I failed my test.”

Dexter looked gobsmacked. “Are you serious? You’d risk lives just to save a bit of male pride?”

“I know it was dumb.”

“On the other hand Dallas might be in trouble, and you promised her you’d be there and help.” Dexter said thoughtfully. “She’ll really like prince charming saving her and kicking big bad Heath into touch.”

“Yeah, you’re right. I did promise her didn’t I?” Xavier thought for a moment, and then began to turn the key in the ignition.

---------

Dexter and Xavier pulled up outside the Surf Club. The place was plastered with ice cream and milkshake advertisements and had a slightly back in the day feeling to it. The building had recently added a drive thru window that served coffee and doughnuts in the mornings. Now though, the employees merely wore roller skates to take customers’ orders.

“Wait here Dex, while I go look for Dallas.” Xavier said before getting out the car.

April skated smooth and fast toward Dexter, in her 80s inspired roller skates. “Welcome to the Surf Club, home of the deluxe burger. May I take your order? We have ice cream sundaes, chocolate shakes, and the all new flavour burst. Oh, and my personal favourite crunchy-crème.” She said smiling at him through the window of the V8.

Dexter looked puzzled. “What happened to you? You’ve definitely injected some disco glamour into your fashion style.”

April looked at him amused. “This was Alf’s idea. He thought it would be good for business. I can’t complain. I like whizzing around on these.” She pointed to her skates. “So what will it be?”

“Erm… I’ll get a chocolate milkshake. Thanks.”

“Coming right up.” April jotted the order down and sped away.

Dallas approached the car from the passenger side and as she neared, placed her hands over Dexter’s eyes. “Guess who?”

Dexter turned round in his seat to face her, and his jaw dropped. “Oh holy mother of Jesus.”

“Ready for our date?” She smiled at him.

“Erm…” Dexter tried to find the right words, but he had become tongue tied.

“It’s ok. I know you’re nervous, but you don’t have to be.”

“Wait. Quick question. How did you know I’d be here? How did you know I’d be in this exact vehicle? Didn’t you tell Xavier that Heath dumped you? I mean he said you were hysterical over the phone.”

“That’s three. I saw you from the beach, but yeah Heath did dump me, and I was upset, for about five minutes, but so what. We arranged to meet and that’s what got me through. Don’t you listen in conversations dummy?”

“Never mind then.”

“So aren’t you gonna let me in the car?”

“Sure.” Dexter unlocked the latch and moved over to give her room to sit. “It’s a bit cramped.”

“That’s how you like it though hey Dex.” Dallas looked at him seductively. She placed her hand on his face, and began to caress his jawline.

At that moment April had skated across the parking lot toward the car when she saw Dexter and Dallas. She couldn’t make out too much because he had his back to her, but from what she could see it looked as though he and Dallas were together. She coughed loudly, distracting both of them. “Your chocolate milkshake.” April passed him the plastic carton. “I didn’t know you two were an item.”

Dexter was about to answer when Xavier emerged from the side of the car. He immediately saw Dallas sat comfortably inside and opened the door. “Hey. So you found Dallas? Where was she? I looked everywhere.”

“I didn’t find her exactly. She found me.” Dexter gave Xavier a guilty sideways glance.

“What do you mean?” He asked.

“What he means is he and Dallas are on a date.” April chimed in. “Three’s a crowd and all that.”

Dexter looked at April and shook his head.

Xavier frowned at his friend. “What? Is this true?”

“I was going to tell you.” Dexter popped his head out the window and shouted. “But now April has gone and opened her big mouth!”

“Really mature Dex.” April said before skating away.

“I can’t believe you would actually try and take your mates crush. Right. Get out of the car.” Xavier demanded.

“What?” Dexter exclaimed.

“Just do it!”

“Like Nike, yes?”

“Don’t get smart Dex. Well I haven’t got all night. I want to get the car home now.”

Ruby and Casey parked a short distance from the V8, but could hear the commotion of the confrontation between Dexter and Xavier.

“I wonder what’s going off there.” Ruby said.

“Beats me.” Casey replied.

“Do you think we should go over and say something to them?” She asked.

“Leave them to it. They’ll only have a go at us if we do.”

“I guess you’re right.” Ruby clasped Casey’s hand as they headed toward the Surf Club, where they bumped into Heath, who had finished a game of pool.

“Hey Bro. We just saw Dexter and Xavier having a right go at each other.” Casey said.

“Oh yeah. Who cares anyway? They’re nothing but wimps.” Heath replied.

“I think I saw Dallas with them.” Ruby said.

“What? That Austin guy doesn’t miss a trick does he?” Heath bolted out of the Surf Club, and over to the V8. “Who’s gonna be first to get a knuckle sandwich?” He said with gritted teeth.

Dexter and Xavier’s argument was soon forgotten when they saw Heath arrive. They both dived into the V8 and locked the doors.

“You’re not gonna get away with stealing my girl, you hear that Austin.” Heath threatened.

Xavier turned the key and the car sputtered into life. He backed up and began to drive away.

---------

Meanwhile back at the Austin family home. Gina stood in the kitchen sifting through the dirty laundry basket. She pulled out a piece of paper from one of Xavier’s trouser pockets. “I keep telling Xave to check for any paper or tissues before he gives me his washing, and then I have to go about picking all the tiny bits off his clothes.”

“Why don’t you make him do it next time?” John asked from the couch, his feet up and a remote at hand.

“Not such a bad idea. He’s become so lazy. I still think you let him have the V8 too early.” Gina opened up the folded piece of paper.

“Yeah, but seeing as I promised him once he’d passed his test. He’d only moan at me if I hadn’t.” John changed to the sports channel.

Gina read the letter, her face sour as ever. “John, I think we’ve been severely lied to.” She placed Xavier’s failed test paper into John’s lap. “Take a look at that.”

---------

Xavier had driven Dexter and Dallas to a place close to Stewart’s Point. He turned on the car’s stereo and pressed the play button on the cassette.

Get outta my dreams

Get into my car

Get outta my dreams

Get in the back seat baby

Get into my car

Beep beep, yeah

“Who listens to this stuff?” Dexter asked.

“John I guess.” Xavier said.

“Do you wanna dance?” Dallas asked Xavier.

“Where?”

“Up here.” Dallas clambered up onto the bonnet.

“Hey, I don’t think that’s a good idea.” Xavier watched Dallas, turning and spinning, as her heels scraped across the paintwork.

“Don’t you like romantic settings?”

“Yeah…it’s just. You’re scratching the paintwork. Get off the car.” Xavier grabbed her and then heard a loud pop. “It’s caving in.” He hauled Dallas off. “You’ve had too much to drink.”

“Sorry. I don’t usually act like this.” She said glumly.

“Don’t worry about it.” Xavier said calming down, leaning against the car, not realising it was beginning to roll.

“Xave! The handbrake!” Dexter shouted, as he saw the car plunge over the cliff-top.

Xavier looked over the edge of the cliff and almost died. He was horrified at what he saw. The car lay at the bottom of the ravine, smoke rising from the engine.

“You killed the car.” Dexter said.

“How am I going to explain this to mum and John?” Xavier moaned.

Dexter patted him on the shoulder and motioned for him to look behind them. John and Gina stood a few steps away. “Better start thinking of something right now Xave.”

Comments

Archived