The Truth Behind the Lies

Guest Cat123

Story title: The Truth Behind the Lies

Type of story: Long fic

Main characters: Charlie, Brax, Ruby. (also Heath, Casey, Darcy, Tegan, Jake, Inspector Joyce)

BTTB rating: PG to be safe, but I’m trying to make it as much like and episode of the show as possible

Genre: Drama, Romance

Does story include spoilers?: If you’ve seen last weeks episodes (22nd-26th August) then no.

Any warnings?: Not at the moment.

Summary: Why was Inspector Joyce so willing to let Charlie’s confession go? When Heath inadvertantly discovers the truth, events spiral out of control and have far reaching consequences for all involved.

As promised, here's the start to an idea that's been floating around in my head. I have it planned out to some extent but I'm mostly just seeing where it goes. Been a bit frustrated with some event in the show lately, this is just my take on one direction this storyline could go.

Chapter 1

Running along the beach was the only place that Charlie Buckton’s life seemed to make sense. With only the sound of the waves and her foot falls as her shoes hit the sand, she was able to pretend, if only for a while, that she was someone else. This early in the morning she only had the seagulls for company and she felt that all her problems didn’t belong to her.

Her life was a mess and she had no one to blame but herself. Being in denial and ignoring the fundamental fact that actions have consequences had only made her troubles deepen. She thought she’d found a way out. Admitting her affair to Inspector Joyce was supposed to be the beginning of the end. When she walked in that office she was ready to accept whatever punishment was coming her way and she felt an enormous sense of relief. But he brushed it aside as if it was nothing and now she was more confused that ever.

The simple fact was that Brax messed with her head. Not in a manipulative, scheming way, but in the way that whenever she was around him she couldn’t think straight. There was no bigger picture when she was in his arms. When he kissed her, she wasn’t a police officer and he wasn’t someone she was supossed to be putting behind bars. When their bodies met in the heat of passion they were the only two people in the world.

When she was with him, she pushed all the dangers she knew existed to the back of her mind. But in the unforgiving morning light, everyone else came back into view. His brothers, her daughter, her job and both gangs… They were all there to remind her that there was more at stake than her feelings. And now that Heath knew about her relationship with Brax, she felt like she had lost control of her life.

Charlie was not someone who liked losing control. When she was with Brax, that’s exactly what happened. If she was really honest with herself, it was part of the thrill, at least att he beginning. The tale of forbidden love it the oldest cliché in the book, but it was intense and exciting and that’s what made it dangerous.

But now that danger was real, not just a possible senario that had felt far in the future and might not happen at all. Heath knew, who knew what he would do with that information, and she didn’t trust that Brax would be able to keep his brother in check forever.

Charlie expelled one last burst of energy, sprinting to the rocks at the end of the beach and stopped, doubled over and breathing heavily. She slumped down on the sand, watching the waves lap the shore.

Brax watched Charlie as she jogged down the beach. He wasn’t spying her, he had gone for a walk that morning to try and clear his head but then spotted her and now stood transfixed, he couldn’t take his eyes off her. They had not parted last night unter under the best of circumstances. Brax should have expected the reaction he’d got when he told her to quit the force. Charlie was focussed and headstrong and it was one of her qualities he found most attractive, but it was also infuriating. He knew how his request had come across to her, she probably thought he was being pig headed and trying to control her, but the truth was, he was worried.

Charlie had come clean to her boss and he had all but pretended she hadn’t said a thing. Brax had been around cops enough to know that’s not how they thought, not the decent ones anyway. The more he thought about it, the more suspicious he grew, but he knew better than to admit what he was thinking to Charlie, it would only cause her to shut down from him even more and that was the last thing he wanted.

They had tried being appart, it didn’t work. Their ‘break ups’ never lasted longer than a few days and Brax was miserable until they were together again. It was like being in High School. Brax never had much patience for hassle when it came to women, but Charlie was one girl that was worth the drama. He just needed to figure out his next move.

Brax felt someome walk up next to him and took his eyes of Charlie long enough to see Heath lean on the fence beside him and follow his gaze towards Charlie. He let out a long sigh and shook his head, but there was no anger in the action as Brax had expected, only disbelief and resignation.

“I can’t believe you” Heath said, turning his head to face Brax. “No chick’s worth putting so much at risk for.”

Brax looked Heath in the eye, they way he always had to get his little brother to do what he wanted, but every day now he could sense Heath growing more and more immune to his influence. It scared him. “It’s none of your business Heath” he replied. “I can handle it.”

“Can you? From where I’m standing it doesn’t look like you’re thinking with your head. She’s hot, for a cop. But you must realise how much is at stake. Your safety, for one. If Jake’s boys found out who knows what they’d do.”

Brax stood up and took a step closer to Heath. “We’ll just have to make sure they don’t then, won’t we?”

Heath stood up too, but more casually than Brax. The irony of this didn’t escape Brax, Heath had always been the hothead in the family, and now it was him being the voice of reason? Everything about this whole situation was messed up.

“Relax Bro, I said I wouldn’t say anything and I meant it. But if you’re gonna stand on a public beach all puppy-dog eyed someone’s gonna see you and work it out.”

Brax dropped his gaze to the ground, but didn’t want to admit aloud that his brother had a point. He knew he was right, but he simply couldn’t stay away from Charlie. He wasn’t thinking about the consequences, he just needed to see her.

“What are you doing up this early anyway?”

Heath saw right through Brax’s blatent attempt to change the subject but let it go. “Just going for a drive.”

“A drive?” Brax raised an eyebrow. “You’re not going to do anything stupid are you?”

Heath let out a laugh. “Look who’s talking.”

“I mean it Heath. If you’re thinking of going to see Darcy I would seriously reconsider.”

Now it was Heath’s turn to get defensive. “She’s my kid Brax, I have a right to see her. Jake doesn’t own her, or Tegan. I have every right.”

“And barging round his place, letting him know that Darcy’s your daughter, you think that’s the best thing for her safety?”

“He knows already. Tegan called me last night. It’s killing me Brax, she doesn’t even know I’m her Dad, it’s been too long, I wanna be there for her.”

Brax relaxed and put his hand on his brother’s shoulder. He was surprised when Heath didn’t push him away. “Believe me mate, I understand. When I thought she was mine I felt exactly the same. But the last place you should be right now it the Pirovic house, they don’t need any more reason to come after us.”

When Heath spoke again, his tone was far less defensive. “I can’t stand the thought of Darcy being there. No kid should be involved in this mess. He’s just going to use her to get to me, I know it.”

“Jake may be a thug, but even he’s not low enough to hurt a kid.”

Heath backed away, Brax’s hand falling by his side. “I’m not taking that chance. I’ll see you later.”

“Be careful” Brax called to Heath’s retreating figure, but if he heard him, he didn’t acknowledge it. When Heath’s car had roared out of sight, Brax turned back to the beach. Charlie had gone.

Charlie didn’t know how long she’d been standing under the hot shower, she closed her eyes and let the steaming water splash her face. Her mind was somewhere else entirely. She was only pulled from her thoughts by a sharp knocking at the door.

“Charlie, are you gonna be much longer? I’ll be late for school.”

Charlie shut off the water, and reached for a towel, wrapping it around herself as she unbolted the door.

“I’m sorry Rubes, I zoned out completely.”

Ruby’s brow furrowed. “I was knocking for a while, are you ok?”

“I’m fine” Charlie smiled, but she had no doubt Ruby could see through her vague attempts to deflect questions.

“Were you thinking about Brax?” Charlie’s silence was the only answer Ruby needed. Ruby walked into the bathroom took her toothbrush from the shelf. Charlie watched her from the doorway. Ruby paused and turned to her mother. “I’ve been thinking a lot about you two. I want you to be happy, but I realise what you meant now about it being dangerous. I really think you did the right thing when you told him you needed space.”

Charlie said nothing, she didn’t want to admit that she had backtracked on something she’d been so sure about earlier in the week. She hated how indecisive this whole situation made her when she was usually so headstrong and stuck to her guns.

“I like Brax” Ruby clarified, “it’s just everyone else I’m worried about.”

Charlie smiled. “You don’t need to worry about me.”

“But that’s what families do” Ruby countered with a lop-sided grin.

Charlie stood behind Ruby and wrapped her arms around her daughter’s neck. “And I love you for it. But everything’s under control.” Charlie looked at Ruby’s face in the mirror and could see that she was far from convinced but she didn’t say so.

“I’ll leave you too it. Have a good day.” She kissed Ruby on the head and left the room.

Tegan saw Heath’s car pull up and opened the front door before he’d even got half way up the path.

“You’re lucky Jake’s out.” She said, leaning on the door frame and fixing him with her glare. “Do you know what he would do if he found a River Boy on his property? Things are hard enough as it is, you don’t need to be throwing fuel on the fire.”

Heath reached the front porch and leant against the wall. “What’s wrong? Has he hurt you?”

Tegan shook her head. “No, he’s not hurt me.” Heath opened his mouth to say something but she cut him off. “And Darcy’s fine.”

“Is she here? I need to see her.” Heath made a move to enter the house but Tegan blocked his way with her arm.

“She’s in bed. I’m not sending her to school today, she’s not feeling well.”

“You can’t keep her away from me forever” Heath said, raising his voice. “8 years is long enough, Iw ant to be a father to her.”

“Will you keep your voice down? Jake could be back any minute.”

“Does she even know I’m her Dad?”

“No, not yet. I’ll tell her, but it’s not the right time.”

Heath took a step forward. “You were only too quick to lie to her about Brax being her father, what’s different?”

Tegan didn’t answer, only stepped back inside and start to close the door. “Please, just go. Jake’s gunning for you, if he finds out you were here….”

Heath relented and stepped off the porch. “Don’t think I’ll give up Tegan” he shouted to the closed front door. “I have every right to see my kid.”

As Heath walked back towards his car, he took a last look up att he house. He saw Darcy in the window, the morning sunshine catching her hair, and knew that she had heard every word. It broke his heart. After the way he and his brothers had been treated by their father he wanted to do the right thing, he hoped she understood that it wasn’t his choice to stay away. He blew her a kiss and smiled, before closing the gate behind him and walking back to his car.

Charlie sat at the garden table clutching a large mug of coffee, thinking over and over about her conversation with Ruby this morning. She knew her daughter was right. Staying away from Brax was the logical thing to do, it was why she hadn’t said anything to Ruby about going back to him. She hated lying to her, she’d doine enough of that in her life. But she also couldn’t handle the look of disapointment on her face.

At that moment, Brax appeared in front of her. Charlie looked up and met his gaze. She placed her mug down on the table but made no move to stand up. “What are you doing here?” Her tone was abrupt and detached. She was still mad at him for the other night.

“I saw you on the beach this morning.” He admitted, stepping onto the decking. He stopped a few feet from where Charlie was sitting. “I had to talk to you.”

“If you’re going to tell me to quit my job again Brax, I don’t want to hear it.”

“I came to appologise.”

He smiled at her, and her defenses crumbled instantly. Now she was just mad at herself for giving in so easily. She didn’t understand the power he helf over her feelingsbut the longer she was in his presence, the harder it was to stay angry.

“I was out of line” Brax continued, “I should never have asked you to quit your job. I’m just sick of all these obstacles in our way. I just want to be with you without everything else getting in the way.”

“I want to be with you too” Charlie found herself saying, even though at the back of her mind she could still hear Ruby’s warning. “But it isn’t that simple.”

Brax took Charlie’s hand and she stood up, letting his arms snake around her waist. “We’ll find a way to be together if we’re meant to be, Charlie. I wasn’t lying when I said I love you.”

He stared into her beautiful brown eyes for a moment, trying to let her see that he was serious. All the questions he had about her boss, and about what trouble Heath would get into seemed a million miles away from this porch. It was just the two of them.

“We have to think about what will happen sooner of later” Charlie protested, but didn’t break his gaze. “Just because my boss was ok…”

Brax had to summon all his self control not to voice his suspiciouns, and instead pulled her into a kiss, more to silence himself than anything. He pulled away from a brief second. “We don’t have to talk now though do we?”

Charlie let him lead her inside, her half-drunk mug of coffee completely forgotten.

At the end of the lane, Heath saw two figures standing behind a shed, partially obscured from view. Something about the way they were standing made Heath take notice, and he realised after a moment that one of them was Jake Pirovic. He slowed his car, and wound down the window to try and hear what they were saying. There was a definite tension in the air.

“I want my money Pirovic, we had a deal.”

Heath recognised the other man’s voice, but couldn’t place it. Now it was Jake’s turn to speak. “Careful how you speak to me man” he said, menace in his voice. “You’ve got a lot more at stake than me.”

“If it wasn’t for me, you’d be in prison for a very long time. Don’t t think I’m keeping you free out of the goodness of my heart.”

Heath stiffened. He knew who it was. He shut of the engine and sat perfectly still, watching from a good distance back. His heart began to quicken.

The older man continued, his voice growing louder. “Do you really think any of my officers will believe you over me? Believe me, if you blow the whistle on our little arrangement, you will come off far worse.”

Heath could see that Jake was seething, he hadn’t seen anyone speak to the gang leader in that tone before and get away with it

“Relax, you’ll get your money. If you keep your cops occupied tomorrow night and the drugs get moved without any problems.”

Their voices grew quieter again, and Heath could no longer hear what they were saying. He carried on driving, his head swimming with questions. He reached for his phone and dialed Brax’s number.

Jake heard a car excellerate down the street, and looked up just in time to see the number plate as it vanished round the corner. Inspector Joyce followed his stare. “Who was that? Who heard us?”

Jake’s mouth twisted into a threatening grin. “Don’t worry, I’ll take care of it.”

Archived