The Hardest Part - Saying Goodbye

Guest katieabandon

This is my first fan fiction for Charlie and Brax so please be kind and tell me honestly what you think. I have written this as an AU so the character's and the setting may not be like it is in the show.

Title: The Hardest Part - Saying Goodbye

Type of story: S/M

Main Characters : Charlie and Brax

BTTB Rating: G/T - Suitable for teenagers

Genre: Romance, General

Any warning: Very mild sexual content

Does story include spoilers: No

Summary: What happens when Brax moves away? How will their relationship survive?

It was late at night when Charlie was lying on Brax’s bed beside him watching a movie and for all they knew it would be their last night together before Brax left for the US. As they lie on the bed talking about their relationship Charlie says, “Well, you can't keep it a secret forever, Brax.”

“What's that?” Brax queried.

“How incredible you are.” They look at one another awkwardly before Brax sits up on the bed “Ok... all-time favourite movie.”

“You want to play that game?” Charlie looks at Brax surprised

“Mm-hmm.” he said hugging his legs with his arms

There was a small pause before she answered “Love Actually. You, all-time favourite song?”

“Day Dream Believer”

There was a small pause as they couldn’t think of anything to say as they both thought about their on-off relationship over the past few years. This song has meant a lot to them both as it pretty much summed up their relationship over that time.

Brax shuffled on the bed and turned to Charlie and asked, “All-time most life altering moment?”

“Ever?”

“Ever.” he clarified

“Well... there are a lot of winners there.” Charllie sighs. “But, you know, there was this one moment, um... a couple years ago... I standing outside the surf club and, uh... and you kissed me” Charlie said with a smile appearing on her lips and as she looked up at Brax, he had the same expression. “It changed everything. It's a pretty powerful thing when you get your biggest wish in one moment.” There was a long pause while they just think about everything that’s happened over the past 3 years.

“Oh, better not forget that one.” Charlie points to the photo of him, Caesy and Heath when they were first arrived in the bay.

“Gee, I almost forgot.” Brax got of the bed and walked over and picked it up thinking back to all the good times he had with his brothers. He felt as though he could tell her anything. Not that she didn’t feel the same way about Brax

Deep down he knows that this is best and they should go their separate ways after all these years angsting over each other and their realtionship. He knew this day would finally come. It has just come a lot sooner than either of them thought.

What do you all think? I will update later today if you guys like it.

Thanks so much for the comments. i didnt think how this story will go. Thanks for sticking with it. Get ready for the tissues! Heres part 2

“Brax... I want you to stay.” she finally said when he turned to face her

“Excuse me?” Brax asked shocked at what he said.

“I said, I want you to stay.” he repeated. “And there, I said it, “Standing awkwardly in his bedroom

“You don't think you could have maybe said something before I packed?” Brax

said, still shocked at what she confessed

“No, I said it, and now I want you to forget it.” Charlie jumped in quick before he started to unpack.

“Forget it? Charlie, how do I forget that?” Brax wondered.

Charlie started to ramble, “Well, it's just something that I've been thinking about, and I wanted you to know that I was thinking about it. You know, I was just gonna... keep my mouth shut and let you go... but...” she sighs... “It's not me. That's some merchant ivory movie, you know, where people suffer in silence, and you're supposed to be so impressed by their restraint.”she continues. “Well... you know... sorry, but screw that.” She can feel his eyes filling up with tears as they started to roll down her cheeks, her voice hoarse as she struggles to keep it together. “My best friend in the whole world is leaving tomorrow, and a big part of me wants him to stay... so I hope you don't hate me.”

I could never hate you, Charlie... and not for lack of trying, either.” Brax said and then looked down.

“These past couple of years, it's been one big soap opera. I wouldn't take it back. I wouldn't... take any of it back, but... I'm glad that it's over. 'Cause I like the way things are now. My life being the cruel joke that it is, now that things are so nice... you're leaving.” she walked over to the edge of the bed at sat down.

Brax walked over to join her and sat on a chair opposite her so they were facing each other.

“Charlie... if I thought for one second it was the right thing to do, I would stay, but it's time to go. It's time for me to get out of this town, and it's time for you to discover who you are without us. This chapter's over, Charlie. He paused for a moment and then said “I can feel it.”

As Charlie sat on the edge of the bed, she looked into Brax’ eyes with tears rolling down her face and said, “Do you believe in magic?” Brax looks at her confused. She continues, “I never used to. I mean, how could I? 16, your mum dies. You hope against hope for--for magic, something to make it all better. It never comes, and, you know, you look to your sister who's unable to overcome all of her tragic flaws. Well, no abracadabra there. And then there's Angelo. Well... any magic that was there, that ran out, didn't it? But, uh, then there's you. There's proof that someone out there is thinking of me... my friend who was with me always. It's pure magic. I guess this is pretty much just a long-winded way of saying that, um... I'm gonna miss you, Brax.

“I'm gonna miss you, too, Charlie.” They both look at each other for a moment

“Well, I guess it's getting late, and you need to rest, so...” she says as she gets up of the bed and slowly puts her jacket on. She turns to face Brax with tears in her eyes.

Brax took a deep breath and said, “Wow. I guess this is, uh... this is really it, huh?” It has only just hit him that he may never see her again.

“See you, Brax.”

“I'll see you, Charlie”

They lean in for a hug and after a moment Brax said, “So what was yours, by the way?” Charlie pulls away but they don’t let go of each other

“What was my what?” Brax asked curiously as he had forgotten about the game they were playing

“Your all-time most life altering moment?” Charlie reminded him

“For all I know, it could be this one right now... saying good-bye to you.” he said with tears rolling down his cheeks.

There was a long pause as they look into each other's tearful eyes. They still hold each other as they lean in for a kiss. Charlie can feel Brax’ delicate lips on hers and he could feel the same sensation on his. He pulled away only for her to pull him in tighter and allowed him to deepen the kiss.

Thank you to everyone who has read and commented on this. I dont think im very good at this bit im glad everyone seems to like it. Warning: Talk of sex but nothing graphic

Hope your not disappointed.

Part 3 Flashback

It was lunch time and Charlie was in the library with some of her friends. Charlie was sitting alone at the table feeling sick at the conversation between Brax and his girlfriend only a few feet away from her.

“The thought crosses my mind, “ he told her, “about a thousand times a day” with a smile on his face

Jens reply was, “a thousand? That’s nothing.” Both of them look at each other feeling quite happy. Brax looks over to where id best friend Jack was sitting and apologies to him. “Jack, I’ve been a real jerk. Jack had an expression on his face which showed Brax he was forgiven and Jack put his hands up in defeat, “Ahh ehh….” Brax continues, I’m really sorry about your nose and everything else. I can get quite fired up when I want to but I didn’t mean it and I’m sorry” Brax apologised.

“I’m sorry too” Jack concurred.” Brax, your my best friend, man and I don’t want to screw that up” Brax listened to what his best friend said and both agreed to call it a truce.

Charlie listened to the whole conversation but never said anything as she looked as though she was about to burst into tears. Suddenly she spoke and everyone looked to where she sat.

“You know, when did everyone become so obsessed with sex?!” she wanted to know, tears on her eyes” and now you to Brax! If you’re worried everyone’s more experienced than you, you can just rest easy. You still have one friend that will go to her grave a virgin.” She trailed off, her eyes getting quite puffy now and she couldn’t handle the sexual tension between her best friend and his girlfriend knowing how she felt about her Brax

Brax looked over at Charlie with sympathy in his eyes, “its just a matter of time……” he started. “Before what?” Charlie cut in. The tone in her voice was raised. “Before you find the right person” Brax continued trying to make her feel better with the cliché that is always used in these situations

Charlie doesn’t respond, instead she gives Brax a glare and rolls her eyes looking the other way, the tears threatening the roll down her face. “I have” she says a smile appearing on her lips then it quickly disappears. Charlie puts her head in her hand as she sits alone at the table not believing what she has just said. She was glad she admitted it though.

“Charlie?” Brax questions as he realises something is wrong and goes over to where Charlie sat taking the chair next to her.

“I’m sorry Brax, I don’t know what’s going on” Charlie says running her hands through her hair. Brax listems to his best friend as she confesses. “ I have all these feelings, these weird feelings. I don’t want to say it and I cant say it.” Charlie wasn’t trying to hid her emotions anymore as she let the tears flow. “ I mean…” she used her hand the wipe the tears away from her eyes as Brax sat beside her with his listening ear intrigued as Charlie spoke. Charlie continued though teary eyes, “We’ve known each other for so long and you know everything about me. Everything. And I can’t even say this..” Charlie looked into Brax’ eyes which made what she had to say so much harder. “I can’t” she said through gritted teeth trying to bite back the tears, “and I just feel really lonely”

“Charlie, you’re not alone” Brax said trying to comfort her. “Yes I am..”

“I’m here for you. I was here for you in Year 1 and here for you now.” Brax tried his best to reassure her she wasn’t alone while Charlie fought back the urge to him how she really felt. “nothing you say is gonna change that” Charlie got the courage to look in his eyes once more as she listened to his words wondering if he really meant it. “maybe if you just say these things and then that way it’ll be out in the open and your feelings won’t be as strong anymore and you’d be free”

Charlie shook her head, “ I can’t, I can’t…” she repeated over and over “because if I say these things I can’t ever take them back” Charlie looked Brax in the eye as the tears rolled down her face. “It’ll change everything and I can’t do that. Brax finally cottoned on to what she was trying to tell him while everyone else in the room realised what was going on too. “ I can’t” she said once more before the bell went and the afternoon session came into the library never getting the chance to finish their conversation.

End of flashback

Thanks guys for commenting, The flashback was to give you an idea of the relationship between Charlie and Brax when they were younger.

Charlie waited for Brax in the bar where he said he would meet her after he got back from the US. She kept looking over her shoulder at the entrance to see if he was there. Time passed and Brax still hadn’t appeared, Charlie was beginning to wonder if he had stood her up. It was coming up for 11pm and they were supposed to meet at 9pm.

Charlie took another drink of her beer and left the bar. She was walking across the street when she heard a familiar voice.

“Charlie!”

She recognised it straight away and turned around with a huge smile on her face

She rushed over to him and pulled him in for a hug. She was glad that he decided to only take the six week post in New York while he was glad to be in her arms at last. They both headed back to the bar hand in hand.

^^^^^

“I thought for sure I was gonna miss you again.” Brax said to Charlie once they had

ordered their drinks.

“You almost did. Everyone left. I was next.” Charlie told him

“But you couldn't bring yourself to leave, could you? You had to see me.” Brax teased her as he knew how much she liked it

“Get over yourself! I'll have you know that I stuck a dollar in that jukebox over 3 hours ago. I was not gonna leave until I heard my song.” Charlie came up with an excuse to hide the fact that she did have to see him. She couldn’t stand being away from him for so long but she didn’t want him to know that.

“Ok. All right. My mistake.” Brax tried to sound disappointed. “You look great, by the way”

“Thank you.”

“I don't say things like that nearly enough. The second I saw you I thought to myself, "God, she looks great," but I didn't say anything, so... I'm saying it now.” he explained

“Is this some player routine you work shopped in the US over the summer?”

“Can a guy not tell a girl that she looks great without there being some sort of manipulation involved?” he asked shocked

“Generally, no.” Charlie said shuffling in her chair trying to find a comfy position.

“Ok, good point. But this is you and me. General rules do not apply to you and me. They never have.” Brax said laughing and just wished he would stop talking and kiss her.

“Can I ask you a question?” Charlie asked

“Ok.” Charlie replied wondering what he going to say

“We didn't talk this summer. At all. Why is that?” Charlie asked curiously.

“Quick and easy answer would be that I was really, really busy and there just wasn't any time.” Brax told her. “Which is true, but... it's not really it, because I thought about you all the time, and about what you said about how everything would just kind of work itself out between us and it just... made me feel so good about us. I just...well,” Brax stumbled. “I guess I didn't want to ruin that feeling. Does that make any sense? Brax found himself stuttering as he didn’t know how to explain how he felt. But he was glad when Charlie understood.

“It makes a lot of sense, actually. You know what this means.” Charlie agreed with her.

“What?”

“Dare I say we might be growing up?” Charlie answered.

“Oh, God.” Brax sighed

“What?”

“That sounds so boring.”

“True. Sad but true. But I mean... case in point. You seem...different.” Charlie eyed Brax up and down.

“Different how?” Brax wondered

“Just different. A good different... like living your dream agrees with you.” Charlie had a semi smile on her face when she looked into Brax’ eyes. “Do you like living in US?”

“Yeah, I do. Its so big and I don’t really know anyone but I’m glad I’m back home. So what about you?” Brax answered

“What about me?” Braxasked

“Did you do anything special this summer? Did you meet anyone special?” Charlie was afraid to ask because she was worried that she had lost her chance tell him how she really feels about him.

“Mmm, no one worth mentioning. And you?”

Suddenly Brax finally hears a familiar song playing on the jukebox. Hhe gets up, and reaches his hand out for her to take

“What are you doing?” Charlie asked looking up at him. She thought he was going to leave.

“I was gonna ask you to dance.” Brax said with his hand out for her to take.

“Are you crazy?” Charlie said smiling as she took his hand.

“Yeah, but the offer still stands.” Brax told her also with a smile on his face.

Brax put his hand on her lower back and led her out onto the empty dance floor. Charlie rested her head on his shoulder as she allowed him to lead her. They dance to the song for a while and decided to head home.

Thanks guys! I meant to put at the start of that last post that we were back to the present tense. Both characters are in their twenties and the flasback was when they were at college together to give you an idea of their freindship There is no more flashbacks. Okay guys, last chapter. I just wanted to say thank you so much for taking the time to read it and for your continued support. I have another story I am ready to post called Decisions. I hope your not disappointed by this last chapter

Back at Charlie’s apartment, she puts her bag and jacket down on the bed. Brax stood at the doorway.

“Thank you for walking me home.” Charlie said

“No thanks necessary. It's what I do. All right, I should probably go.” Brax didn’t want to push his luck but he was surprised at Charlie’s reaction to him leaving

“You don't have to, you know.” Charlie said hopeful.

“I don't?” Brax as surprised. He didn’t know what to do.

“Leah is staying at Miles’ s tonight”

“Oh, cool.” Brax said calmly

“So you can take her room if you want.” Charlie offered hoping he would say ‘yes’

“I could very easily drive back home.” Brax tried to find a way out of staying as he knew where it may possibly lead

“Of course not. I don't want you walking around out there this late.” Charlie reassured him it was okay to stay.

“Thanks.”

“No thanks necessary, it's what I do. Make yourself at home.” Charlie said closing the apartment door behind him.

Charlie goes into the bathroom, and gets ready for bed. She comes out of the bathroom and decided to poke her head round Brax’ bedroom door which was slightly ajar to see if he was still awake.

“You awake?” Charlie said hoping he still would be.

“Yeah. I'm sorry. I fell asleep”, Brax apologized.

“You must be exhausted. Get some sleep. We can talk in the morning.” Charlie said as she went to close the door behind her

“What time is it?” Brax asked suddenly and he turned around to look at the clock.

“11:55.” Charlie told him. She found it a bit strange him asking her what time it was

“Oh.” Brax said bearly audible.

“What's wrong?” Charlie asked

Brax get out of her bed and walks over to the clock above the dresser and moves it from 11:55 to 12:05. He then goes back to his bed. Charlie follows him wondering what he is up to and makes herself comfy sitting on the bed beside him.

“What are you doing?”s he asked somewhat curiously.

“Cheating.” Brax answered. “I can't wait anymore.” He reaches into his bag, and pulls out a gift bag and hands it to her “Happy birthday, Charlie.”

“You're the only one who remembered.” Charlie said as she took the gift bag from him.

“Yeah, I'm good like that.” He said with a slight grin.

She opens it and pulls out a photo of them both at the beach

“Thank you, Brax.”

“It's cheesy. I know.”

“No, it's not cheesy at all. It's perfect.”

“You know what you were saying before, about how living my dream agrees with me?” Brax said. “I've been thinking about that and I want you to know that I probably would not be living any dream at all if it weren't for you. I mean, more and more I keep on finding myself in these incredibly surreal situations and every time... I always kind of, in the back of my head just think, ‘what would Charlie think if she could see me right now?’ You know, I guess everyone has someone who challenges them and makes them shoot for something just beyond their reach. You're that person for me. So, yeah, maybe we didn't talk this summer, and who knows, maybe we'll find ourselves talking less and less as time goes on and life gets more and more in the way, but... I gotta say, Charlie, I don't feel it. 'Cause you're with me everywhere I go.” Brax studied her carefully. “Happy birthday.”

“Thank you.”

Charlie gives Brax a ‘thank you’ hug but he doesn’t pull away. Instead, Charlie feels his hands rubbing her back and suddenly doesn’t know what to think. He slowly pulls back to give her enough time to pull away if she wanted to but he was glad when she didn’t. They look deeply into each others eyes. After another long moment they begin to lean in and Brax presses his lips against Charlie’s. He pulled back for a short moment but then pulled her back in to deepen the kiss and she allowed him the access he desired and started kissing each other more passionately.

Charlie’s hands move and rub Brax’s arms as he lowers her onto the bed and they continue to make love to one another.

I hope you liked it

Comments

Archived