Where the Heart Lies

Guest Red Ranger 1

I promised this one a while back, hope you like it.

Story Title: Where the Heart Lies

Type of Story: Long Fic

Main Characters: Romeo, Indigo, Ruby, Casey, Xavier, April, Dexter, Nicole and others

BTTB Rating: A

Genre: Drama/Romance

Does the Story Include Spoilers? Probably not

Any Warning: Sexual content:Moderate to strong.Violence:Moderate.Language:None.

Summary: When the teens head off for a pre-exam holiday, it causes several relationship issues to come to the surface.

CHAPTER 1

“You can still change your mind about coming with us,”Romeo told Nicole as he and Indi finished getting their bags ready.

Nicole, shook her head.“I can’t really leave Miles to babysit for a week.Anyway-”she gave a cheeky grin-“I’ve already passed my HSC.Twice.”

“We’ve got exams coming up too,”Indigo reminded her,“I could certainly do with getting away.”

“Oh, so it’s not just to keep an eye on him?”Nicole bit her lip.She’d forgotten for a moment everything that had happened recently and how the pair had only just got back together.“Not that you need to,”she added,“I just mean that the two of you want to spend time together.”

“Even if it means hanging out with an ex-high school dropout and his study mates?”Romeo asked.

“I think I’ll leave you to it before I dig myself an even deeper hole,”Nicole decided, pushing herself up off the couch and heading upstairs.

“You are okay with this though?”Romeo asked Indigo.

“No, you were right, it’ll be good to spend time together,”Indigo confirmed,“Even if I would rather it was just the two of us.”She saw him start to argue and cut him off.“I know, I know.It’s cheaper this way.Guess we’ll have to wait until you’re a pro surfing manager and I’m a successful business tycoon before we get to spend time alone.”

“Well, we’re alone now,”he pointed out.She smiled and he bent to kiss her, gently caressing her lips.

“Oops!Bad timing!”Xavier apologised.

They looked round awkwardly to see him in the doorway.“Sorry,”Indi apologised.

Xavier shook his head.“It’s okay, I guess I’ve got to get used to being the gooseberry on this trip.Speaking of which, do you mind if I walk to the meeting point with you?Might make me look like a bit less of a loser.”

Romeo smiled and, hefting his bag, put an arm round his friend’s shoulder.“Don’t worry, we’ll let you hang out with the cool kids.”

“Okay, now you’re just being patronising.”

Not too far away, Dexter, April, Ruby and Casey were waiting by the minibus they’d hired.“I’m just amazed they invited me on this trip,”Ruby was saying,“We haven’t exactly been friends lately.”

“They needed someone else who could drive,”Dexter explained.

Ruby’s face fell slightly.“Thanks for shattering my illusions.”

“No problem.”

Casey put his arm round his girlfriend’s shoulder.“Don’t worry, I’m glad you’re here.”

April took Dexter’s hand affectionately.“You’re still working on thinking before you speak then?”

“Hey, I managed to pull a hot bird like you, must be doing something right.”He noticed her expression. “Yeah, I see what you mean.”

Xavier approached with Romeo and Indigo, seeing the two couples together.“I should just turn around and spend the week watching DVDs, shouldn’t I?And taking lots of cold showers.”

Indi put an arm round him.“Don’t be silly, we want you to come.”

“Okay, I’ll remind you you said that when you’re too busy pashing him to notice me.”

“Ah, the gang’s all here!”Dexter observed as he saw the newcomers,“Bagsee the back seat!”He grabbed April’s hand and dragged her onto the bus.

“Ooh, bagsee first drive!”Ruby added, waving her hand in the air.

“Yeah, okay,”Xavier agreed,“I’ll take over from you at the halfway mark.”He clambered into the back.

Romeo helped Indigo into the back as well then realised Ruby was standing by the cab and hesitated, wondering if he was supposed to help her up as well.

Casey pushed past him.“It’s okay, man, I’ve got it.”

“Thanks.”Romeo clambered into the back with Indigo and Xav while Casey joined Ruby in the front.“All right then.”

“Fasten your seatbelts, guys,”Ruby invited,“Our last week of freedom begins here.”

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see that you bit the bullet and got Dex and April together, wonder if that will last...

You get Dex and April together :huh: Didnt think you would do that.

Being naive as I am, it didn't occur to me people would be surprised by that.I know I've been against the idea on the show but it seemed appropriate for this fic.I did actually have them get together in one of my other fics, Just the Once(plug plug).

Thank you for everyone for your astounding support.Here's another chapter.Still mainly moving pieces into place but hopefully you'll like it.

CHAPTER 2

The teens piled out of the minibus and into the front room of the holiday chalet they’d hired.It seemed to be the same size as a small hotel foyer, with a spiral staircase off to one side leading to the upper floor.“Wow, can we really afford this?”asked Ruby.

“Don’t worry,”Casey assured her,“The pizza delivery business makes top bucks these days.”

“How did you know about this place?”asked April.

“Mum and Dad used to hire it out every now and then,”Dexter explained,“Although I think Dad mainly used it for his business trips with the nurses.Occasionally he’d bring us here and Mum would complain about it being self-catering and how she needed a holiday too and they’d end up in the kitchen throwing things at each other while Indi and I sneaked off down the beach.”He took in a deep breath of the sea air and smiled.“Happy days.Come on, let’s take our bags upstairs.”He and April headed up the spiral staircase.

“Hang on, wait for us!”Ruby called, taking Casey by the hand and hurrying after them.

Romeo made to follow but Indigo stopped him.“Uh-uh.We’ve got to check the kitchen out first, remember?”

“Oh, you mean you were actually serious about that?”

“Absolutely.We all take it in turns to do the cooking.Otherwise, I’m gonna be the one in the kitchen throwing things at you.”

As the last couple made their exit, Xavier found himself standing alone in the front room.He noticed a door to his right and pushed it open to reveal a single bedroom.“I’ll stow my stuff in here then!”he called out.No-one answered.“Yeah, I’ll just go and do that.”

Romeo staggered upstairs, carrying both his bags and Indigo’s.He glanced around the landing, picked out the nearest door and pushed it open.

Ruby was getting changed in there, currently wearing only a bra on the upper half of her body.Romeo tried to back out again but she caught sight of him and gave a yelp, snatching up her discarded top and holding it to her chest.“Romeo, what are you doing in here?”

“I didn’t realise this room was taken!”he protested.

“Or maybe you just fancied copping a perv!”

“What?No!Come on, Rube, you show more than that on the beach.”

“Well, maybe you were hoping to get a little extra.”

Romeo sighed.“Ruby, do we have to do this now?”

“Oh, sorry, if I’m bringing back unpleasant memories for you…”

Romeo shook his head.“I’m not going to get into this.”He turned round and headed off down the landing.

Unfortunately, he walked straight into Casey who gave him a challenging look.“Did you get lost?”he enquired.

Romeo sighed.“I’m looking for a free bedroom.”

Casey nodded towards another door.“That one’s spare.”

“Right.Thanks.”Romeo nudged past him.

“Be best if you remember that,”Casey added,“Wouldn’t want you stumbling into the wrong one.”

Romeo gave him an irritated look.“I’ll remember that,”he told him testily, before shutting the door between them.

Ruby stuck her head round the door to their room.“Everything okay out there?”

Casey smiled and kissed her.“Everything’s fine.”

Ruby paused awkwardly in the doorway to the kitchen, watching as Indigo stirred a pan full of spaghetti noodles.“The boys were wondering how long dinner’s gonna be.”

“Couldn’t they ask themselves?”Indigo asked.

Ruby nodded back towards the front room.“Dex has organised a PlayStation competition.Case and Xav can’t tear themselves away from it.April’s trying to act interested but mainly pointing out that cars wouldn’t actually be able to do half the things the game says they can.”

Indigo gave a smile.“Tell them it’ll be about ten minutes.”

“Right.”Ruby turned to go.

“Wait!”Indigo called.She hesitated.“Do you wanna…stay and have a chat?”

Ruby took a cautious step into the room.“What about?”

“I dunno.Anything that comes to mind.If we’re going to be here for the next week, I think we’re all going to need to ignore the flow chart that says who’s slept with, dated and kissed who.”

Ruby allowed herself to smile and went to join Indigo by the stove.“Wasn’t someone meant to be helping you with this?”

“Romeo bailed.We eventually decided he’d set the table and do the washing up and I’d do the cooking.”

“He does realise you’re just opening a tin and heating the contents, right?”

“I won’t tell him if you won’t.”

Romeo suddenly appeared in the doorway.“Oh, hi.I didn’t realise you had company.”

Ruby took a step backwards.“I’d better tell the boys about dinner.”

“Good luck with that.Last time I checked Dex was doing a lap of honour round the room while the others tried to rugby tackle him.”

Ruby gave a half smile.“Guess I’d better have a bucket of water handy.”

Romeo waited until she’d gone before turning to Indigo.“Were you two…getting along?”

“Would you rather we were fighting over you?”

“No, no.I’m glad.”

“Good.”She kissed him lightly before gesturing to a pile of plates and cutlery.“So set the table.”

Huge thanks for all the comments, apologies for the gap between updates, been hard to find the time to write anything.Hope this makes up for it!

CHAPTER 3

“Shouldn’t we wait for Romeo?”Xavier asked as the rest of the teens headed down to the beach.

“He can catch us up,”Indigo assured him,“We didn’t leave him that many pots to do.”

“Ah, you are attempting to apply the feminine efficiency to the masculine mind,”Dexter corrected her, “You forget that it is a statistically proven fact that any domestic chores automatically change a guy’s brain to treacle and result in smashed plates, ruined laundry and burnt water.”

“Speak for yourself, dude,”Casey argued,“Who do you think does most of the washing up at our house?”

“Don’t worry, Dex is quite domesticated himself,”April confirmed,“All the laundry neatly folded after ironing…”

“Yeah, how does that work?”Indi agreed.

Dexter coughed slightly.“I think we’d all agree that I’m a statistical anomaly.”

The hundred yard walk from the chalet to the beach concluded, Xavier and Indigo both quickly stripped off, grabbed their boards and headed into the surf.April and Dexter put a rug down on the sand and lay down on it, taking in the sun’s rays.Ruby stripped down to her bikini and began rummaging in her bag. “Casey, can you help me put some sun block on?”

Casey looked at her in surprise.“Aren’t you going to join us in the water?”

“Me surfing?Yeah, I don’t think it’s comedy hour just yet.”Ruby continued searching her bag before pausing.“Except my sun block isn’t here.”

Casey glanced at Dexter.“What was that you said about feminine efficiency?”

“My hypothesis has been completey disproven,”Dexter sighed,“I’m a failure.”He slumped back on the rug despondently.

“I think I must have unpacked it in our room,”Ruby realised.

“You want me to go back and get it?”Casey asked.

Ruby shook her head.“You go and enjoy the surf.I’ll be back in a tick.”She gave him a quick kiss on the cheek before hurrying back up the beach path.

Ruby hurried into the house just in time to find Romeo coming through from the kitchen.They both stopped in their tracks, suddenly uncomfortable in each other’s presence.“I left my sun cream in my room,”she said by way of explanation.

He nodded.“I was just heading down the beach.”

She headed for the stairs, he headed for the door.She stopped first.“Romeo.”He stopped and turned.“Can we…sort this out, whatever it is?I mean, Indi said we need to put aside all the history that we’ve all got and learn to get along.So could we..?”

“I think we should just stay away from each other.”

She felt stung.She’d tried to extend an olive branch and now it had been thrown back in her face.She felt the anger rising.“What, you think if we get too close to each other we’ll find each other irresistible and sleep together?”

“Yes.”

Anything Ruby had been thinking or feeling up until now was gone just like that.Her brain seemed to lock up, struggling to process what she’d just heard.

“I’m happy with Indi,”Romeo carried on,“I mean, really.She’s great, she’s hot, she’s smart, she’s put up with me even though I’ve been a right jerk to her.But…that night, what happened between us, I just keep thinking about how good it felt.And I’ve told myself that it was just sex, that it didn’t mean anything, not compared to what I’ve got with her.But I just can’t seem to get you out of my system.”

Ruby could feel feelings stirring up inside her, things she didn’t want to feel.She tried to focus on Casey, her boyfriend, the boy who she’d turned to when she felt like she couldn’t turn to anyone else, who’d never judged her over what she and Romeo had done.“We should just stay away from each other,”she decided, heading for the stairs again.

He caught her arm and she turned to face him, meeting his gaze, knowing what he wanted, what they both wanted.They kissed, long and hard, their heartrates increasing in excitement at the touch.

Ruby pulled back but their lips continued to press together, with tentative pecking kisses.“This is wrong,”she murmured.

“I know.”

“We shouldn’t be doing this.”

“I know.”

The kiss grew stronger again, lingering.“I don’t care,”she decided.

“Me neither.”

They both headed upstairs.

Indigo, Xavier and Casey had headed into the water with their boards, leaving April and Dexter sat on the beach.“Have you ever thought about learning to surf?”Dexter asked.

“Tried it a couple of times, not really my thing,”April replied,“You?”

“No, because that would involve me doing something that would require physical prowess, therefore ruining a perfectly good stereotype.”He felt April’s hand close around his and the sudden wave of nervousness caused him to keep talking.“I did however once try my hand at the noble game of Top Trumps and found myself to be quite a master, so long as I didn’t object too much to my humiliated opponents beating me up afterwards in order to reassert their masculine supremacy.”

“Dex,”she interrupted.

“Yes?”he replied without pausing for breath.

She kissed him lightly on the lips, letting it linger for a few seconds.“Shut up.”

Dexter mulled the request over.“I do occasionally do that.”

Romeo and Ruby lay side by side in bed.They’d ended up in her room, being the nearest one to the top of the stairs.“Oh man,”Romeo groaned.

Ruby’s mouth twisted into a faint awkward smile.“Was that ‘Oh man, that was good’ or ‘Oh man, what have we done?’”

Romeo glanced at her, feeling the knots of guilt in his stomach.“Bit of both, I guess,”he admitted at last. He swallowed hard.“Look, Ruby…”

“I know, I know.This was just a one-off.I’m not gonna start stalking you or anything.I mean, it’s not like either of us is exactly single.”She gave him a mischievous smile.“So, did you get me out of your system?”

He couldn’t help smiling back.“No,”he admitted.They lay in companionable silence for a moment.Then reality hit them.

“They’ll be wondering where we are,”Ruby realised,“We should get dressed.”

“Yeah,”Romeo agreed.Ruby turned away from him, sitting up in bed, and he found himself staring at her bare back.With some effort, he turned away and started retrieving his clothes.

They headed down to the beach together, neither of them able to think of anything to say.Casey caught sight of them and bounded out of the water, grabbing the bikini-clad Ruby round the waste.“Hey there, gorgeous,”he greeted her.

“Hey there, yourself,”she replied, kissing him softly.

“You want a hand with that suntan lotion now?”

“Well, I think that can wait until we’ve finished here…”She resumed kissing him.

“Don’t mind us!”Dexter called over from nearby,“We’ll just study that interesting cloud formation in the other direction.”

Romeo had carried on, heading into the water towards Indigo.He greeted her with a kiss that he hoped she didn’t consider too enthusiastic.“Oh, hello there,”she responded, slightly bashful,“What did I do to deserve that?”

“Nothing,”he replied quickly,“Just pleased to see you.”He kissed her again but couldn’t help stealing a glance over to where Ruby was doing the same with Casey.He had an uncomfortable feeling she’d been looking at him too.

Thank you again for all the comments.Don't know when I'll find time to write another chapter so thought I'd better get this one done while I could.Hope you like it.

CHAPTER 4

Ruby peered over Dexter’s shoulder at the pan he was stirring.“What is that?”

“Pasta sauce,”he replied, before examining it a bit more closely,“Or possibly treacle.”

“He’s handling the pasta, I’m handling the salad,”April explained.

“Which I think is quite indicative of our symbiotic relationship,”Dexter added.

“So how long until it’s ready?”Ruby asked.

April looked at Dexter who shrugged and then seemed to become preoccupied with trying to remove a lump from the sauce.“About half an hour?”she suggested.

Ruby nodded and headed through to the front room where Xavier, Casey and Indigo were sat.“I’m heading down to the beach for a swim.”

Casey glanced out the window.“Are you sure?It’s getting dark.”

“Means there’ll be less people about.”

“Should I come with you?”

Ruby glanced at the film they’d somehow ended up watching.Some sort of screwball comedy that Xavier and Casey seemed to find utterly hilarious whilst she and Indi had been wincing their way through it.“No, you stay and watch this.I’ll catch you later.”

“Where’s Romeo?”Xavier asked Indi as Ruby headed out.

“He went down the beach for a last minute surf.”

Ruby stripped down to her bikini and hurried down the path to the sand.It wasn’t until she reached the beach that she saw Romeo coming out of the water, board slung under his arm, wearing nothing but a pair of shorts.She found herself staring hard at the way his wet body glistened in the moonlight and averted her gaze.“I was just going for a swim,”she explained.

He stopped in front of her.“Well, the water’s still pretty warm so you should be okay.”

They stood there for a moment, looking at each other, thoughts and memories whirling through both their heads.“So I should probably head towards the water,”Ruby decided at last.

Romeo nodded.“I should get back to the house.”

They both sidestepped, passing each other, ready to head off in opposite directions.But they hadn’t gone more than a step before they turned and fell into each other’s arms, kissing passionately.They collapsed onto the sand, removing the few items of clothing they had on.

“Dinner is served!”Dexter announced grandly.

The trio looked at him blankly.“Ruby’s not back yet,”Casey pointed out.

“Neither’s Romeo,”Indi added.

Dexter’s face fell.“Well, that was a waste of a good entrance.Guess I’d better go and see if I can turn the oven down…”He disappeared back into the kitchen.

“Do you think we should go down the beach and tell them we’re ready?”asked Casey.

Xavier shook his head.“Nah, they’re big enough and ugly enough to find their own way home.”He suddenly realised he had the pair’s partners looking at him quizzically.“I mean, not ugly, that’s just a figure of speech obviously.They’re both pretty hot.”He considered this comment.“I mean, I don’t think they’re hot but I get why you two do.”

Indigo stared at him for a moment before looking at Casey.“They’ll probably turn up shortly but you can go down and look for them if you want.”

“Yeah, I might just do that,”Casey considered.Then his attention was caught by the film.Laughing at something, he slid back down into his seat.

Indigo rolled her eyes.

Romeo and Ruby lay staring up at the night sky, Ruby clipping her bikini top back into place.“So, er, if this afternoon was a one-off, what was this?”she asked.

Romeo thought for a moment.“Holiday romance?”

“Can you have a holiday romance when you’re both on holiday with other people?”

Romeo considered this.“Probably not,”he conceeded.

Ruby pushed herself up on her elbows and looked across at him, thinking things were a lot simpler when they weren’t getting on.“We should stop this,”she sighed wistfully.

Romeo sat up.“Yeah, you’re right.I mean, we’ve both got too much to lose.”

Ruby sat up as well.“We should probably just steer clear of each other.”

“Right.”He got to his feet.“I should head back inside.”

“And I was meant to be going for a swim so I’d better not come back dry and covered in sand.”

“I guess I’ll see you in a bit then.”

They headed off in opposite directions.Both of them felt the urge to look back.But both of them resisted it.

Big thank you to everyone for your comments.Managed to find some spare time on my day off (harder than you'd think)and hammered out this short chapter for you.Hope you enjoy it.

CHAPTER 5

Romeo climbed carefully into bed next to Indi, trying not to disturb her.In that, he was out of luck.Feeling his presence, she opened her eyes and smiled, then wrapped her arms around him and kissed him.He responded to the kiss tentatively, showing her affection but trying not to let it develop.He could feel her caressing his body hungrily, wanting to join with it in physical love, and he pulled away from her.

He saw the hurt in her eyes and hated that he was the cause of it.But he’d had sex with Ruby twice that day.Somehow sleeping with her so soon after that felt like even more of a betrayal.

“Is something wrong?”she asked him.

“No, no,”he lied,“I’m just feeling a bit tired, that’s all.It’s been a long day.”

She nodded uncertainly.“Yeah, I guess so.”

“You don’t…you don’t mind if we just sleep, do you?”

“No, of course not.Plenty of time for other things, hey?”

She cuddled up to him and he put his arms around her, holding her as she drifted off into sleep.He found his own mind was finding it a lot more difficult to relax.

Ruby lay propped up on one elbow, watching Casey as he lay with his eyes closed next to her.They’d made love, softly and gently.She enjoyed being with him, she knew that.Romeo was just a fantasy, a break from reality.Casey was loyal and caring and she knew that he loved her.He didn’t deserve to be treated the way she’d been treating him.

“I’m not going to get to sleep if you keep looking at me,”he commented and opened his eyes.

Ruby smiled.“Sorry.I guess…I was just thinking how lucky I am to have you.”

“Are you kidding?I’m the lucky one.”

Ruby shook her head, feeling a pang of sadness inside her.“No, really, it…it’s me.”

“Ruby, I grew up seeing the girls Brax and Heath hung out with and I could see they had fun together but I knew that wasn’t what I wanted.I wanted…I wanted a proper relationship.Someone special.I didn’t think I’d ever meet a girl like you, much less one who wanted to be with me.”

“I’m really not that special,”she told him quietly.

“Ruby, you are.Trust me.”He gave a rueful smile.“Course, if anyone ever finds out I’ve been talking like this they’ll bag me out so badly.”

She couldn’t help but smile.“It can be our little secret.”She kissed him lightly on the lips.He smiled and closed his eyes again.Ruby lay down next to him and waited for the morning.

Xavier had sat facing the living room windows.He could hear the sound of waves in the distance.He sipped slightly on a glass of water, wetting his dry throat.

He heard footsteps on the stairs and turned to see April coming down.She looked startled at the sight of him.“What are you still doing up?”

“Can’t sleep,”he answered,“You?”

“The same.Thought I’d boil myself up some warm milk.Warm milk’s good when you can’t sleep.”

She disappeared into the kitchen for a few minutes before emerging with a mug of heated milk.She sat down next to him and looked at his glass.“I hope you’re going to wash that up.”

“That’s odd, I could have sworn I left my mum at home.”

“Well, we’ve got a system, we should stick to it.”

He nodded.“Is Dex asleep?”

“As far as I know.”There was a sudden flash of realisation in her eyes.“Hang on, do you think..?Xavier, how many bedrooms are there here?”

Xavier shrugged.He hadn’t really been upstairs.“Four?”

“Five.That means one for me and one for Dex.”

Xavier realised he’d offended her.“Sorry, I just thought that you two…”

“No.”She sighed.“We’ve kissed but…we’re taking it slow.”

He nodded.“Well, none of my business anyway.You’re happy?”he asked, contradicting himself instantly.

She smiled.“Yeah.Yeah, we are.”

He tried to look pleased but knew he’d failed.“Well, I’m happy for you.Dex is a nice guy, just…”

“A bit weird?Well, some would say I’m a bit weird myself.”

“Hey, so am I if you listen to Palmer.You know he tried to get me into rugby?I’d be stretchered off first game.”

“Yeah, I can’t see it myself.”She paused and looked at him sadly.“There’s someone out there who’s right for you, Xav.”

“Yeah.”He gestured to the entrance.“But I don’t think I’m going to just walk out those doors and bump into her.”

Well, I seem to be on a bit of a roll(or possibly not since I only had a spare morning cos I messed up taping Holby City...)so here's another chapter while it lasts.I have to admit, re that last chapter, I do enjoy writing Xavier/April scenes far too much, even when they're not together.I had to pull back on it or it would have ended up twice as long as the rest of the chapter...

CHAPTER 6

“Breakfast’s up!”Ruby announced.She and Casey had been slaving away at the stove while the rest of the teens were munching cereal at the table.She carried the pan over and placed a generous amount of bacon and eggs on everyone’s plates.

“So are we going to head down to the beach after this?”asked Indigo.

“Ah, heading down to the beach,”Dexter mused,“Something we could easily have done if we’d stayed in Summer Bay instead of coming here.”He looked at April.“Should we do that then?”

“Might as well.”

“Actually, Casey and I were going to head off on our own,”Ruby explained,“Make up a picnic basket and find a quiet spot up on the headland.”

“We were?”asked Casey, who obviously hadn’t heard any of this before.

She smiled at him flirtatiously.“Don’t you think it’ll be more fun on our own?”

His confused expression quickly turned into a smile.“Yeah, I guess it would.”

“Actually, I think I’m going to go for a wander as well,”Xavier noted,“I’ll meet up with you guys tonight.”

“Well, don’t be late back,”April told him,“It’s you and Romeo making the dinner this evening.”

Xavier looked a bit perplexed.“Me and Romeo?”

April nodded.“Then it’s Indi and Dex, then me and Ruby, then you and Casey, then we’re back to the start.”Xavier was still looking confused.“Well it’s not my fault we’ve got an odd number.”

“Guess it’s just going to be you and me in the surf,”Indigo remarked to Romeo,“Unless these two are planning to learn.”

“I would,”Dexter noted,“But I think I’ll be too busy sticking pins in my eyes.”

“Just you and me then,”Indigo repeated.

“Fine by me,”Romeo agreed.He kissed her, just for a few seconds.But he had an odd feeling that Ruby had looked away anyway.

Xavier trudged along the beach without any idea where he was going.With the area being fairly remote and out of season, there wasn’t much to see and do.The few holiday chalets were supported by a single shop and single cafè so they seemed the likely destination if he wanted something to eat.

The previous day had been fine while Romeo and Ruby were back at the chalet and he’d been able to enjoy the surfing with their other halves.But once they’d come back, Ruby and Casey had found a quiet spot together to do…whatever it was they did at quiet spots and Romeo and Indi had started making out in the water a few feet away from him.Which had just left him playing with his board.The odd number.

“Watch it!”

The voice brought him out of his reverie and drew his attention back to where he was.Although the stretch of beach he was walking along was mostly deserted, with only three or four other people in view, he’d somehow managed to walk right up to where a girl in a bikini was sunbathing and kick sand over her legs.

The girl, who had been lying on her front on a towel, turned over and got to her feet, brushing the sand off her legs.“Do you have to be so clumsy?”

Xavier found her reaction a bit over the top.“You’re on a beach, you’re going to get sand on you.”

“Yeah but I could do without you helping it.”

Xavier sighed.He obviously wasn’t going to get anywhere with this conversation.“Sorry,”he replied grumpily and turned to go.

“I’m Amy by the way.”

Xavier turned back and accepted the outstretched hand.“Xavier.”He looked at her closely for the first time.She had long blonde hair and her face was actually rather pleasant now she was no longer scowling at him.He guessed she was about his age, perhaps slightly older.Memories of his failed romance with Miranda sprung to mind, dampening his enthusiasm slightly.

“So are you here on holiday?”she asked after a moment’s pause.

“Yeah, with some friends.”Xavier took a deep breath.Best to be upfront about it.“We’re taking our HSC in a couple of months.”

Amy looked at him closely for a moment.“So you’re how old?”

“Eighteen.”

She nodded.“Me too.I took my HSC last year and I’ve been having a year out.I was meant to be coming away with some friends but they were all busy with uni and boyfriends so I ended up coming on my own.”

“You haven’t got a boyfriend then?”Xavier found himself asking.

Amy gave a coy smile.She sat down on her towel and patted the space next to her.“You want a seat?”

He sat down next to her.

Many thanks for your comments, hope you like this chapter.

CHAPTER 7

“So how was the surf?”asked Dexter as he, April, Indigo and Romeo made their way up the path to the chalet.

“Are you really interested or are you just making conversation?”Indigo asked.

“The latter.”

“Thought so.”

“Wonder where the others got to,”April pondered.

“Guess Ruby and Casey are still enjoying their alone time,”Romeo mused, trying to keep the pang of jealousy out of his voice.

“But what about Xavier?”April asked,“He went off for a walk and didn’t come back.”

“Well, I guess he found something better to do,”Romeo suggested.

They stepped through the chalet door…to the sight of Xavier making out with a blonde girl on the couch. “Yeah, that just about sums it up,”Indigo commented.

The pair looked round at the remark, sheepish grins on their faces.“Er, hi, guys,”Xavier greeted them, “This is Amy.”He gestured to the others.“Romeo, Indi, Dex and April.”

Amy raised a hand in greeting.“Hi.”She got up, brushing her clothes down.“I’d better get going.”

“No, stay for dinner,”Xavier insisted hastily.He glanced at Romeo.“We can make enough for her to join us, right?”

“Er, right,”Romeo echoed awkwardly.

“Okay,”Amy agreed,“I’d better freshen up first.”

“Okay, the bathroom’s…”Xavier floundered.Where was the bathroom?

April came to his rescue.“Up the stairs, turn right, end of the corridor on the right.”

Amy smiled at her.“Thanks.”She headed up the stairs.

“Where have you been hiding her?”Indigo asked.

“I just bumped into her on the beach this morning,”Xavier explained,“We got chatting and came back here.”

“Why does that never happen to me?”Dexter sighed.April hit him on the arm.“Before I met April, of course,”he amended without a pause.

“So, you met her on the beach and brought her home with you?”Romeo asked.

Xavier tilted his head, adopting a mock pleading voice.“Yeah, Dad, can I keep her?”

Romeo sighed.“Let’s just make a start on dinner.”He gestured for Xavier to lead the way to the kitchen.

“Guess you did just walk out that door and bump into someone,”April commented as they passed her.

Xavier looked back at her and smiled.

When Ruby and Casey arrived back at the chalet about a quarter of an hour later, Indigo, Dexter and April were all sat in the front room.“Hey, we were about to send out a search party,”Indigo greeted them.

“Yeah, sorry, we lost track of time,”Ruby commented.

“We were a bit busy,”Casey added.

“And that’s as much information as we can handle,”Dexter told them.

Amy came bounding down the stairs.“Hey, thanks for letting me use your shower.”

“Be our guest,”April replied with a hint of sarcasm.

Indigo gestured to the newcomers.“Amy, this is Ruby and Casey.”

“Hi,”Amy responded briefly,“I’ll just see how Xavier’s doing.”She headed through into the kitchen, where Xavier and Romeo were immersed in the intricacies of making a stir fry.

Ruby stared after her open mouthed.“Who was that?”

“She’s with Xavier,”April explained.

“Fast worker,”Casey commented.

Ruby still hadn’t lost her shocked look.“And what, she’s moved in here now?”

“We assume she’s got a home to go to,”Dexter replied,“But none of us have quite had the nerve to ask.”

“Come on, guys, give them a break,”Indigo told them,“It can’t be much fun for Xavier with everyone else having paired off, it’s good he’s got someone to keep him company.”

“Guess so,”Ruby conceeded.She walked round the back of the sofa, intending to sit down…but instead she nearly collided with Romeo as he came through from the kitchen, both of them pulling up short.

“Sorry,”he told her.She gave him an awkward smile then stepped past him.He found himself following her progress with his eyes for a moment until he remembered where he was and quickly shifted his attention to the others.“Dinner’s ready.”

Big thank you for all your comments, here's a short chapter to be getting along with.Hope you like.

CHAPTER 8

The rest of the week had passed quickly.With all the teens paired off, it had got to the point where they’d largely spent time apart, with the whole group only really getting together first thing in the morning and in the evenings.For some of them, the ones with conflicting feelings towards other members of the group, this had been something of a relief.

“I can’t believe we’re going back,”Indigo groaned as she and Romeo descended the stairs carrying their bags.

“Hey, you’ve only got the uni timetable with its three study periods a day to worry about,”Romeo pointed out,“I’ve got the good old Summer Bay High tie to put back on.”

She gave him a smile of sympathy.“You regretting going back to school?”

“No, it’ll be good to get some qualifications.Might even join you at uni next year.”He gave her a quick kiss and took her bag off her.“I’ll take these outside.”

When he got outside, he found Ruby loading bags into the back of the minibus.He paused for a moment, looking at her, wishing he wasn’t so attracted to her.Then he headed over with his and Indi’s bags.

Ruby glanced round, meeting his gaze for a moment, then she looked away, busying herself with her task. He put the bags down next to her and leaned against the bus.“Look, Ruby, about everything that’s happened…”

She glanced at him as she spoke, but never for more than a second at a time, almost furtively, as though not wanting to look at him or be near him.“It’s fine, okay?A few hours, we’ll be back home, back to normal, we can pretend it never happened.”

There didn’t seem to be anything to say to that so he just nodded slowly.Then he walked away.

Ruby raised her head and watched him go, biting her lip slightly.She shook her head to clear any unwanted thoughts.It wouldn’t do her any good to go there again.She needed to move on.She had moved on.

Casey came up behind her and put his arm round her.“You okay?”

“Yeah, course.”She gave him a brief kiss on the lips.“Come on, give me a hand with these bags.”

Xavier and Dexter were leaning against the front of the bus, Xavier the odd one out again.Since he and Amy had met, they’d spent every day together, hanging out, making out…They’d said a brief goodbye the previous evening, she’d known he was leaving, he’d mentioned it enough times.Since then, nothing.

“I thought she’d at least come to say goodbye,”he complained.

“Women, my friend,”Dexter sighed,“They chew you up, they spit you out, they move on to some other poor sucker.Just an experience on the circle of life.”He noticed April, standing just within earshot, glaring at him and then moving off.He rested his head against the bus.“I’ve got a girlfriend now,”he told himself,“I can’t say stuff like that anymore.”

“Hey, Xavier!”came a familiar voice.Amy came running up, a rucksack on her back.

“Hey, I didn’t think you’d make it!”Xavier responded with a delighted smile.He kissed her.A lot.

Dexter threw his hands up in the air.“Fine, I’ll just go and see if April wants to make out.”He headed round the side of the bus.

Xavier seemed to notice Amy’s rucksack for the first time.“Are you leaving as well?”

“Yes.With you.”

Xavier wasn’t sure what he was hearing.“You…want us to drop you off somewhere?”

She smiled.“I haven’t really got anywhere to be for the next while so I thought I’d spend it with you.”

He was still trying not to raise his hopes too much.“Are we talking weeks or, um, months or..?”

“Well, let’s just see how it goes.”

Xavier smiled and kissed her before taking her hand and dragging her round to the others.“Amy’s coming back with us.”

There was a stunned silence from the others.“You have got to be joking,”Ruby said at last.

Xavier’s face fell slightly.April shrugged.“I guess we have got the room.”

“Yeah,”Indi agreed uncertainly,“Glad to have you with us, Amy.”

She smiled.“Thanks, everyone.”

“Okay,”Ruby accepted as she climbed up into the cab, her attitude a bit more weary than it had been a week earlier,“Check your tickets, everyone, next stop Summer Bay.”

Thank you for all the comments.Sorry for the long breaks and the shortness of the chapters, hope you like this one.

CHAPTER 9

Gina shook hands awkwardly with the girl that her son had brought home with him.“Well, um, it’s nice to meet you, Amy.I’d like to say Xavier’s told us a lot about you but…”

Amy smiled.“I guess it has all happened really quickly.”

Xavier gestured to John, who was hanging around in the background.“And, er, that’s Palmer.”

“You can call me Mr.Palmer,”John suggested as he shook hands with Amy as well.

There was an awkward silence for a few moments.“So, er, where did you two meet?”Gina asked.

“On the beach,”Amy explained,“We met up and just clicked straight away.”

“We’ve barely been separated since,”Xavier added.He noticed Gina’s look.“During the day!”he added hastily,“Barely been separated during the day.”

“And you didn’t have anything to be getting back to?”Gina asked.

Amy shook her head.“It’s my year out.I spoke to my parents and they were happy for me to stay here for a while.”

“Mighty accomodating folks you’ve got there,”John commented,“Bet Xavier wishes we’d just let him traipse off with a girl at the drop of a hat.”

Amy put her arm round Xavier.“Once I explained how special Xavier was, they understood.”

Xavier looked challengingly at John.“You got a problem with that?”

“Nope.No problems.”

“So, where are you going to stay, Amy?”Gina asked.

“Here?”Xavier suggested.

Gina gave an ironic laugh.“Try again.”

“It’s okay, I’ll find somewhere,”Amy assured them.

“You could try the motel,”John suggested,“It’s pretty reasonable.”

“Good idea,”Xavier agreed,“Let’s go there.”

Xavier helped Amy place her bags on the motel bed.“You’re sure you’re going to be all right here?”

“I think I’ll manage.It’s not that bad.They even have running water.”

“I could ask Mum and Palmer about you staying with us again…”

“I don’t think we’re quite ready for that.And they’re certainly not.”

“Yeah, guess so,”Xavier conceeded,“I mean, we haven’t even…”He broke off, suddenly embarrassed.

There was an amused look on Amy’s face.“Haven’t what?”

Xavier waved a hand airily.“You know…”He waited for her to jump in and answer.She didn’t.“Do I really have to say it?”

She smiled and kissed him.He let the kiss deepen and lowered her onto the bed…then felt her pushing him off her.“You’d better go,”she told him.

Xavier wasn’t sure what had just happened.“Did I do something wrong?”

Amy seemed to consider her answer.“I think we should take things slowly,”she decided at last.

He blinked.“You came back here with me.”

“Well, if I hadn’t done, we wouldn’t have seen each other.But now I’m here, we can take things slowly.”

Xavier nodded.It kind of made sense.“I guess I’ll see you later then.”He hesitated, unsure if he was supposed to kiss her again or not.He decided to err on the side of caution and leave.As he reached the door, he turned back.“Could we maybe go on a date some time?”

She nodded.“I think that would be slow enough.”

Nicole was lying on the couch, which seemed to be her usual position when she wasn’t doing mum things, when Romeo and Indi came back downstairs.“You two are looking sickeningly relaxed,”she told them.

Romeo raised an eyebrow.“Well, hark at Cleopatra there.”

“Hey, my weekend has consisted of burbing and changing and feeding and rocking to sleep.And that’s just Miles.”

“It’s a shame you couldn’t come with us,”Indigo agreed, nudging Nicole’s leg playfully,“Mother Nicole.”

“Right, yeah, you need someone to keep you kids in line.”

“Maybe you could have hooked up with Xav,”Romeo suggested,“Then he wouldn’t be having such an interesting conversation with his mum right now.”

“We should give Amy a chance,”Indigo argued,“I mean, falling for Xavier in a week doesn’t necessarily make someone crazy, does it?”

“Get back to you on that one…”

Ruby suddenly appeared in the doorway, stopping short when she saw Romeo and Indi.“Oh, hi,”she said awkwardly,“I didn’t realise you’d be here.”

Indigo gave a friendly laugh.“Well, we did come home with you.”

“Yeah but I didn’t know you’d be here.I was just after a catch up with Nic.”

“Okay, well, we were just heading out anyway.Maybe catch up with you later?”

“Yeah, see you.”Ruby looked at Romeo as the pair left, as though expecting a response from him.He nodded briefly to her before following Indi out.

Nicole swung herself round into a sitting position and patted the space next to her.“Okay, come on then, tell the old woman all about it.You have a good time?”

Ruby hesitated slightly as she took her seat.“It was…interesting.”

Suddenly noticed both my fics were on the second page so thought I'd better update one of them. Hope you like it.

CHAPTER 10

“And so ends another thrilling day of school,”Dexter sighed.He, April, Romeo and Xavier were putting their things in their lockers.“I’m really going to miss this place when we leave.”He thought for a moment. “Actually, I think I really am going to miss this place.That’s kind of sad.”

April patted him on the shoulder.“Don’t worry.I hear geeks are really popular at uni.”

“Really?You’re not just saying that?”

“Would I lie to you?”

Xavier noticed Ruby at her own locker.“Hey, Rube,”he greeted her.

Ruby favoured him a weak smile.“Hey, Xav.”She let her gaze wander over the rest of the group. “Everyone.”She left without another word.

Xavier looked at Romeo.“Hey, what gives?I thought you two were getting on better since the holiday?”

Romeo looked suddenly nervous.“Why, what do you think happened?”

“You know, the whole letting bygones be bygones thing?”

Romeo inwardly breathed a sigh of relief.“Yeah but it’s not like we’re gonna be hanging out or anything. Talking of which, you going to be around later?”

“I’m, er, taking Amy out on a date.”

Dexter cocked his head and stared at him.“You look oddly nervous about that.”

“It’s just…it’s kinda the first date.I mean, we’ve got to know each other quite well but…I’m just worried it’s going to sort of fizzle out now we’re back here.”

April gave him a sympathetic smile.“Well, I hope it works out for you.”

He smiled back.“Thanks.”He hoisted his bag over his shoulder and headed off.

Romeo turned to April and Dexter.“You two heading back to the farm?”

“I think it’s on my way home,”Dexter replied,“No, tell a lie, it is home.”

“I’ll walk with you then.I’m meant to be meeting Indi.”

Ruby pressed herself against the wall so Romeo, April and Dexter couldn’t see her, not relaxing until they were out of sight.She inwardly cursed herself for feeling like this.Why had she let herself get into this state again?She’d had a decent life, a decent relationship…and now suddenly she was back thinking about Romeo.Thinking about things that the rational part of her brain told her were never going to happen.

She hadn’t told anyone about what had happened on holiday.She’d thought about telling Nicole but that couldn’t go well:At best she’d tell her she’d been an idiot, which she already knew, and at worst she’d take Indi’s side.And she’d be back to square one.So she was doing the only thing she could do.Trying to forget about it.

She wished it was as easy as that.

Xavier paused at the door to Amy’s motel room, checking his reflection in the glass panel.He smoothed down his shirt, smoothed down his hair, even put a hand over his mouth to smell his breath.It smelt…well, it didn’t smell of anything really.Which was probably a good sign.He raised his hand and knocked on the door.

It took a few seconds for Amy to answer it but finally the door swung open and she was standing there, a smile on her face.He noticed her outfit:It was smart and suited her but not too dressed up.He wondered if he should read something from that.If he should, he wasn’t sure what.

He held out a bunch of flowers.“These are for you.”

She smiled and took them.“Thanks, Xavier.”She kissed him on the cheek.“I’ll just put them in water.”

Xavier followed her into the room, waiting in the main area as she went into the bathroom to fill a vase with water.“So, are you okay living here?”he called.

“No problems so far!”she called back,“Have you got a plan for tonight?”

“I’ve booked us a table at Angelo’s, the restaurant above the surf club.I mean, nothing’s set in stone, if you’ve got an idea of your own we can always change it…”

“No, that sounds fine.”She came back through and set the vase on top of a chest of drawers.She offered an arm to him.“Shall we go?”

He smiled and linked arms with her.And crossed the fingers of his other hand behind his back.

“Does it feel weird to anyone else, just the four of us being here?”Indigo asked.

Dexter paused and looked around the front room.“Yeah, I’m usually here on my own.”

Indigo shot him a withering look.“You know what I mean, I’m kind of used to Ruby and Casey or Xavier and Amy being around in the evening.”

“We could give Ruby a ring and ask if she wants to come over,”April suggested.

“Or we could track Xavier down and gatecrash his date,”Romeo added.

Indigo sighed.“I was just saying.”

“Although maybe we should gatecrash Xavier’s date anyway.He might be grateful.”

“Why do you say that?”

“Oh, think about it.They meet up on holiday, have a great time, then they come back here to reality.You think that’s gonna work out long term?”

“Well, it might,”Indigo suggested,“Some girls might consider Xavier a catch.”

“And if I can pull a gorgeous girl, anyone can,”Dexter added.

“Was there a compliment for me in there somewhere?”asked April.

“Yes.Although I think it was mainly poking fun at myself.”

“And anyway,”Indigo continued,“sometimes, when you have feelings for someone, you do find yourself doing things that might seem stupid to others.”

Romeo was quiet for a moment.“Yeah, I guess you do,”he conceeded.

Archived