Title: I’ll Always Be Here

Type of story: Long

Main characters: Charlie, Ruby and Angelo

Others: Ava, Ben, Morag, JM & Kids, Tachel & Kids, Niff & kids

BTTB rating: T

Genre: Drama, Romance, Relationships, Family

Does this story include spoilers: No

Any warning: Will warn at beginning of chapter if any

Summary: Why is Ruby back in the Bay and living with Charlie? What secrets is Angelo hiding from his wife and family? Is the family in danger? Is this the end for Charlie and Angelo?

Please note this is a sequel to my first fiction I’ll Be Here For You. This takes place around 10 months from where I’ll Be Here For You left off. At some point during those 10 months Angelo has re-joined the police force and Charlie has currently taken time off work to look after Ruby and the children.

Since it was a while since I posted I’ll Be Here For You I have written a brief summary of what happened in the story.

It started off with Charlie finding out she was pregnant just weeks after Angelo went to prison for the manslaughter of Grant. She had a little girl she named Ava. Ruby moved back in with Charlie and their relationship got back on track since Ruby found out the truth about her parentage. They eventually became very close again. Ross sadly died of a stroke and this seemed to bring the relationship between Charlie and Morag closer. When Ruby was 20 she moved to the City with Xavier to start university. Although Angelo was sentenced to 6 years imprisonment he was released after 4 and a half years. Upon his return 4 year old Ava did not take to him at first and wanted him to leave but eventually she grew to love her father. Charlie and Angelo decided to have a second child and she quickly became pregnant. Ruby and Xavier came to the Bay with the news they were getting married. Ava was then kidnapped by James, who was Grant bother. Charlie shut Angelo out of her life, chucked him out of the house, accused him of not caring enough and not doing enough to help look for their daughter. Charlie sadly lost the baby through this time and after 3 weeks of Ava being missing James got in touch with Angelo and they went to a warehouse to get Ava back in exchange for Angelo’s life, which of course Angelo hid from Charlie. James then decided he wanted to punish Angelo so went to kill Charlie instead but Angelo jumped infront and took the bullet for her. Angelo survived and Charlie and Angelo later reconciled. Ruby and Xavier then go on to get married and Charlie reveals she is pregnant again and goes on to have a little boy, Ben. The end of the fiction goes forward another 3 years in time with Ruby revealing she is expecting a child.

So here is the first chapter, its kind of a short one. Let me know what you think. :D

Chapter 1

Charlie got out of bed and walked into the next room. She picked up the crying baby and cradled him in her arms. She went down the stairs and made up his bottle and walked back up in the bedroom and sat on the rocking chair. As she fed him she looked at him adoringly and a smile appeared on her face as she thought of how much he looked liked his dad. When he finished the bottle she winded him then rocked him gently back and forward on the chair until he fell back asleep. She gently kissed him on his forehead before she placed him back in the cot. She watched over him for a few minutes before looking back at the empty bed in the room. She sighed heavily before leaving the room and walking back into her bedroom.

“I thought my days of night feeds and no sleep were over” Charlie yawned as she got back into the bed and looked round at Angelo who had woken when the baby started crying.

“Well they should be Charlie, you shouldn’t be the one getting up for him” Angelo said as he sat up in the bed.

“Oh not this again Angelo” Charlie said as she placed her head in her hands.

“Yes Charlie this again. Callum is not your child”

“He’s my grandson Angelo. I’m not going to turn my back on him and Ruby’s been through a lot lately” Charlie said as she looked back up at Angelo.

“It doesn’t excuse abandoning her child” Angelo yelled. “She’s being selfish and needs to put her son’s needs first”

“I can’t believe you just said that” Charlie replied

“Well it’s the truth, isn’t it” Angelo said

“Angelo are you forgetting I left Ruby with my parents?”

“No I’m not”

“So you must think the same of me then?”

“No I don’t it was different for you”

“Different? How’s it any different Angelo?”

“The circumstance for a start and you were 15 when Ruby was born she’s 23”

“Yeah so what does age matter Angelo. You can’t say she is being selfish because she is 23 and should know better”

“Well she should” Angelo spat

“Oh my God Angelo. I can’t believe I’m hearing you say this. After all she has been through lately. I though you would have had a little more compassion for her”

“I did Charlie. But it’s gone too far now. You need to do something to get through to her”

“It’s not like I’ve not tried Angelo”

“Answer me this Charlie. Have you ever seen Ruby interact with that child. He is 3 months old and not once have I seen Ruby so much as look at him. She’d much rather prefer lie in bed all day and feel sorry for herself and sneak out and get drunk every night and leave you to play mother”

“Angelo, she’s been through a lot lately, she just need’s time to.....”

“No Charlie, she needs to look after her child that should be her main priority now. She’s got a responsibility now. She can’t just run away from them just like....” Angelo stopped mid sentence and looked away.

“What? Just like me? That’s what you were going to say wasn’t it?” Charlie shouted. Angelo looked back up at her and shrugged his shoulders slightly. He was about to reply when Ben came running into the room.

“Stop shouting now. I’m sleepy.” He yelled then ran across to Angelo and took hold of his hand.

“Sorry mate, c’mon daddy will take you back to bed.” Angelo said then walked out of the room with his son. Charlie put her head in her hands and sighed. That argument was becoming too familiar for them and she didn’t know what to do to fix things. A few minutes later and Angelo came back into the room. She looked up at him but didn’t say anything. Angelo looked down at her but he was also silent.

Ruby stumbled through the door and walked across the room. She walked into telephone table before finally finding the couch and collapsing onto it. She shut her eyes and almost immediately fell asleep.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the comments :)

Chapter 2

“Ruby, Ruby……Ruby” Ava shouted as she was tapping her sister on the shoulder trying to wake her from the deep sleep she was in. Ruby reached out her hand and pushed Ava away causing her to fall back onto the floor. Ava jumped up and ran into the kitchen to where Charlie was making up a bottle for the baby.

“Mum Ruby pushed me down.”

“Well I told you to leave her sleeping so it’s your own fault” Charlie replied to her younger daughter.

“Well I told you that I want to sit on the couch” Ava shouted

“Ava don’t talk back to me like that. Go sit on the other couch”

“But I want to sit on that couch”

“Stop being awkward Ava” Charlie said then she walked out of the kitchen and up the stairs and into Ruby’s bedroom and picked up the baby and stared to feed him his bottle. Ava had followed her up the stairs but she walked into her bedroom and slammed the door shut.

“Showing attitude already and she’s only 9. Can’t wait for her to be a teenager” Angelo said as he walked into the room. Charlie didn’t even acknowledge his presence she just kept her gaze firmly on the baby. “So are we going to talk about last night?” Angelo asked and Charlie looked up at him and let out a sigh and shrugged her shoulders.

“I’ve got nothing more to say” Charlie mumbled and Angelo let out a sigh.

“Charlie we can’t keep going on like this. Ever since Ruby moved back in we have done nothing but argue.”

“And who’s fault is that? Stop causing arguments if you don’t want to argue”

“I’m not causing arguments Charlie. I’m trying to get you to sort your daughter out. Charlie she is a mess. You need to do something to help her”

“I’ve tried Angelo. She won’t listen to anything I say” Charlie said as she put Callum down in the cot then walked out of the room.

“Maybe if we tell her to move out it’ll help”

“Do you really think she is in any state to move out?”

“Well it’ll lift some strain off us.”

“Cant you think of someone else but yourself for 2 seconds?” Charlie shouted

“I am thinking about her Charlie and I think it might be best if she was out there on her own, it might knock her back into reality” Angelo said

“Oh and you think its best that she moves out in that state with a new born” Charlie retorted

“Well it could make her realise she needs to stop all this and it might stop us arguing” Angelo said.

“We are only arguing because you are making things more complicated than they need to be” Charlie yelled. “Ruby will come round in her own time, I know she will” Charlie said and Angelo shook his head as Ruby was slowly walking along the hall.

“My head is killing me” she said as she walked into the bathroom and shut the door. Angelo and Charlie looked at each other and were both silent for a few seconds.

“Yeah she’ll sort herself out, you keep believing that Charlie” Angelo said before walking down the stairs and Charlie jumped as she heard the front door slam shut. Ruby walked out of the bathroom and along to her bedroom and slid under the covers. Charlie walked into her room and ordered her to get up. Ruby sighed and she slowly sat up in the bed. She was really pale and was shaking.

“If you are going to give me a lecture now really isn’t the best time” Ruby said

“Well you shouldn’t have gotten yourself so drunk in the first place. Ruby you can’t go on like this. You will start listening to what I’m telling you or you are out of here.”

“Chill out mum. So I got a little drunk. It’s not a big deal”

“It is when you do it almost every night Rubes” Charlie said as she sat down on the bed next to her. “I can’t begin to imagine how you feeling after losing Xavier…” Charlie started to speak but Ruby cut her off.

“Xavier was my whole life. I have nothing left” Ruby cried

“You do Ruby. You have his baby. Someone who is a part of Xavier and he will always be with you through Callum. Don’t turn your back on your baby Ruby. You need him just as much as he needs you”

“Bit hypocritical of you to say that is it not?” Ruby said and Charlie bit her lip and let out a sigh. “You want to get out so I can sleep” Ruby said and Charlie stared at her daughter as she shook her head in disgust. She got up from sitting on the bed and walked out of the room and into her bedroom. She sat down at the edge of the bed and put her head in her hands as she felt a tear rolling down her cheek. She looked up as she felt a small hand on her knee and smiled as she saw her son grinning up at her.

“Hey baby” Charlie said as she lifted him onto her knee.

“Hey mummy” Ben said “Why are you sad?”

“I’m not sad” Charlie said

“Yeah cos you’ve been crying” Ben said

“Mummy’s just upset with your sister” Charlie said

“Ruby?” Ben questioned

“Yeah Ruby” Charlie said as Ben turned himself round on Charlie’s knee and wrapped his arms around her. Charlie smiled and welcomed the hug from her son.

“Did that help you mummy? Because when I get upset and get a hug from you its helps me” Ben said and Charlie smiled as she cupped her hand around her son’s face.

“Yeah it did, thank you sweetie” Charlie smiled before she gave her son another hug.

Thank you so much for the comments. :)

Chapter 3

Charlie had just put the kids to bed when Angelo came home.

“Where have you been? You were supposed to finish work hours ago” Charlie asked

“Out” Angelo replied

“Out, that’s all I’m getting?” Charlie asked

“Yes” Angelo replied. Charlie bit her lip then let out a sigh.

“So where’s the kids?” Angelo asked

“In bed. Ben wasn’t too happy with you. You promised him you would play soccer with him before bed tonight”

“Yeah, I had something important to do.” Angelo replied

“Something important to do? Angelo what can be more important than spending quality time with your son?”

“Just something” Angelo said and Charlie let out another sigh then walked up the stairs. She stopped half way up and turned around and looked down at Angelo.

“I left you some dinner. Heat it up if you’re hungry” She said then she turned around and continued to walk up the stairs and into her bedroom slamming the door shut. She walked across to the bed and sat down at the edge and put her head in her hands. A few minutes later and there was a knock at the door and Ruby walked in. She walked over to the bed and sat down next to Charlie.

“It’s my fault you are arguing all the time isn’t it?” Ruby asked as she put her arm around her. Charlie lifted her head and turned to face Ruby.

“No Ruby it’s not…..” Charlie started to speak but Ruby cut her off.

“No it is. I know it is. Ever since I’ve moved back here you two have done nothing but fight.”

“Okay so we haven’t had a great few months, but it’s us Rubes, we will get things sorted.” Charlie said.

“I hope you do. You guys have been through so much together” Ruby said as Angelo walked into the room. Ruby noticed the short glance the couple gave each other before looking away again.

“I’ll just go now” Ruby said then she got up from the bed and left the room. Angelo walked over to the bed and sat down next to Charlie but they both sat there in silence not looking at each other. After a few minutes Angelo turned his body to face Charlie and broke the silence.

“Charlie, what’s happened to us?” Angelo asked and Charlie looked up at Angelo and shrugged her shoulders. Again there was a moment of silence before Angelo spoke once more.

“So Ruby’s not out tonight. That can only be a good thing” Angelo said

“She’s probably going to sneak out soon” Charlie said “Or she’s too hung over from last night”

“Yeah maybe. So did you try to speak to her again today?” Angelo asked

“Yeah, but just went the same way as usual” Charlie replied

“Maybe you could ask her to go stay with Morag or Gina for a while” Angelo said.

“Angelo, I don’t understand why you are being like this. Why are you dead against Ruby being here? It’s not like you. The Angelo I know and fell in love with was sweet and kind and would do anything for anyone. What’s happened?”

“I didn’t mind Ruby moving in at first. But then she started going out all the time and drinking and leaving Callum for you to look after. It’s not fair on you Charlie. You already had enough to deal with with our two and trying to help Ruby grieve then when she just left Callum it was the last straw for me. You are doing too much and it’s stressing you out”

“I’m fine” Charlie said

“You can believe what you want, but you’re trying to do too much on your own” Angelo said

“That’s because your never here to help me out” Charlie said. “All you do lately is work”

“Yeah well we need to earn a living Charlie. Especially now we have two extra mouths to feed” Angelo spat and Charlie shook her head.

“Right, well I’m sorry my daughter is a such pain in your life” Charlie shouted before walking out of the room and slamming the door shut.

Thank you so much for commenting :D

Chapter 4

Charlie was in the kitchen making up at bottle for Callum while Ava and Ben were arguing over who got the toy out of the cereal box.

“Its mines, I took it first” Ava shouted

“I sawed it first” Ben said

“No you didn’t. I’ve got it” Ava said

“But it’s my turn for it” Ben squealed

“No it’s my turn” Ava shouted as she whacked Ben across the head.

“Mummy Ava hit me” Ben shouted before he started to cry. Charlie took a deep breath before banging the bottle down on the worktop and turning around. She walked over to the table and grabbed the toy out of Ava’s hand and threw it in the bin.

“There nobody gets it” Charlie said

“Ah mum that’s not fair” Ava shouted as she sat back in the seat and folded her arms. Charlie rubbed Ben’s head who was still in tears over being hit by Ava.

“Ava apologise to your brother now” Charlie instructed her daughter.

“No” Ava said as she shook her head and looked down at the floor.

“Ava say sorry now” Charlie said

“No” Ava said again

“Ava Sofia Rosetta” Charlie said sternly which caused Ben’s eyes to widen.

“Oooh you got full named. You’re in big trouble now” Ben said as he pointed to Ava. Charlie couldn’t help but let out a small laugh at her son’s comment before she pulled a serious expression again and looked down at her daughter.

“Ava, say sorry to your brother” Charlie said

“Nope” Ava said

“Right you’re coming straight home after school then” Charlie said and Ava jumped up in the seat and shook her head.

“No mum please let me go to Olivia’s” Ava whined.

“Well apologise to Ben for hitting him and don’t do it again”

“Okay. I’m sorry Ben” Ava said before looking up at Charlie. “So I can go to Olivia’s now?” Ava asked cheekily and Charlie nodded her head.

“I suppose. Now go brush your teeth and get your school bag ready” Charlie said and Ava nodded as she jumped off the seat and ran up the stairs. Charlie picked up the bottle from the worktop and made her way up the stairs with Ben running closely behind her. She went in to the bedroom to find Ruby sound asleep on top of the covers, still in last night’s clothes and she sighed deeply. She took Callum out of his cot and walked through to her bedroom with Ben still by her side. He jumped up on the bed and looked adoringly at the baby while he gently rubbed his forehead as Charlie fed him. A few minutes later and Angelo came out of their bathroom and walked across to his side of the bed and picked up his watch and put it on his wrist. Charlie looked up at him and was puzzled to find he was wearing his uniform.

“I thought you had a day off today” Charlie said

“Yeah, I said I yesterday I would work today though” Angelo replied not making eye contact with Charlie as he walked across to the wardrobe and pulled out his boots before walking back across to the bed and sitting down to put them on.

“Oh so I guess Ben’s room won’t be done. Again” Charlie said

“Eh not today no” Angelo said

“Angelo you’ve been going to do it for weeks” Charlie said

“Yeah just like you said you would sort out that daughter of yours” Angelo mumbled “Anyways I need to get to work” Angelo said as he stood up and made his way to the bedroom door. “Bye mate” Angelo said as he looked round at Ben but he just ignored him. Angelo walked across to where Ben was sitting and went to tickle him.

“Oi, I said bye” Angelo said but again Ben just ignored him. Angelo looked up at Charlie in bewilderment “What’s wrong with him? He asked.

“I told you last night he was upset with you for not coming home to play soccer with him” Charlie said and Angelo sighed as he rubbed his forehead.

“Hey mate daddy’s sorry not playing soccer with you yesterday. We will play tonight” Angelo said and Ben looked up at him and a big smile appeared his face.

“You promise” Ben asked

“Yeah mate, I promise” Angelo said as he ruffled Ben hair.

“Can you take them to school then on your way to work?” Charlie asked and Angelo looked down at his watch as shook his head.

“I’m running late as it is. I really need to get going now. Sorry” Angelo said before he left the room and walked out of the house. Charlie sighed as she got up from where she was sitting and walked out of her bedroom and along to Ava’s room and Ben quickly followed her.

“You ready to go?” Charlie asked and Ava nodded her head and jumped up to her feet. Charlie drove Ava to school and dropped Ben off at nursery before driving back to home to see what Ruby was doing. She found her sitting in her bedroom just staring blankly at the wall. “Ruby” Charlie said as she walked over to the cot and put the sleeping baby down. But Ruby didn’t answer her, she didn’t even move. “Ruby” Charlie said again as she walked over to the bed but once again Ruby refused to acknowledge Charlie’s presence in the room. “Ruby” Charlie said as she sat down next to her and put her arm around her daughter. Ruby eventually looked round at Charlie but she never said anything she just sat there with a blank expression on her face. “Ruby sweetie, please talk to me. Let me help you. You need to do something” Charlie said and Ruby shook her head slowly but didn’t speak. “Please Rubes” Charlie tried again to get Ruby to talk to her.

“I’m going out” Ruby said as she stood up and started to walk out of the room.

“No you are not. Ruby come here” Charlie said as she walked after her.

“Just leave me mum” Ruby shouted as she slammed the front shut in Charlie’s face.

Angelo handed Jack a cup of coffee and leaned himself against the fence. He took a drink of the coffee before looking round at the other man.

“Do you think he will come back here?” Angelo asked and Jack shrugged his shoulders.

“I don’t see any reason for him too. It’s a small town and he’s bound to be found if he does” Jack said and Angelo slowly nodded his head.

“I’m scared he is going to come back to try and finish off what he started” Angelo said before taking another drink of his coffee.

“Nah, I wouldn’t think you’ve anything to worry about” Jack said “If he’s any sense he won’t come back to a small town and get in even more trouble. He’ll be lying low somewhere for a while I would expect” Jack said and Angelo nodded

“But where” Angelo said

“Well that’s what we are getting paid to find out” Jack said and Angelo laughed slightly. “How did Charlie take the news?” Jack asked

“I’ve not told her yet” Angelo said

“Oh, Angelo don’t you think she needs to know?”

“Charlie’s got enough going on at the moment with Ruby and Callum being in the house. I don’t need to worry her even more and like you said he won’t come back here if he had any sense” Angelo said

“Angelo, Charlie needs to know. And it’s probably going to come off worse for you when she does find out. You having kept from her for so long” Jack said

“If I tell her she will just worry like mad and she doesn’t need that right now. So unless it become’s absolutely necessary then she isn’t going to know” Angelo said

“Okay” Jack said “If that’s what you think”

“Yes, it is” Angelo said as he looked down at his watch before sighing. “Well we best get back on the job” Angelo said and Jack nodded before they made their way to the patrol car.

Thank you to everyone who is reading and commenting on this. :) Your comments are so lovely and they really keep me going! Hope you like this next part.

Chapter 5

Charlie returned home from picking Ava up from Martha’s house to find Angelo getting ready to leave. “Where are you going?” Charlie asked as Angelo picked up his car keys off the hanger by the door.

“I’m going to work” Angelo said

“What, why?” Charlie asked

“Got stuff I need to get finished” Angelo said

“But Angelo you’ve been at work all day and today was supposed to be your day off. Why are you going in again tonight?” Charlie asked sounding rather annoyed.

“As I said I have a mountain of paperwork I need to get finished” Angelo said

“So why don’t you have your uniform on?” Charlie asked and Angelo looked down at his body before looking back up at Charlie.

“I just don’t” Angelo replied sharply

“Angelo can’t you just go finish your paper work tomorrow or go in early tomorrow instead of now? I could really do with your help here tonight” Charlie said

“No, I’m just going to get it finished now” Angelo said and Charlie sighed as she rubbed her forehead.

“And what about Ben? You’ve not played soccer with him yet again and you promised him Angelo” Charlie said

“I’m sure he’ll get over it” Angelo said as he took a step closer to the door

“Angelo, please” Charlie said

“No. I’m going Charlie” Angelo said as he went to open the door

“Angelo” Charlie shouted

“I’m going” Angelo yelled

“Will you just stop it” Ava shouted before she ran out of the kitchen and up the stairs and slammed her bedroom door shut. Charlie looked back round at Angelo and they looked at each other silently for a few seconds before Angelo opened the door and walked out of the house. Charlie banged her fist off the kitchen table in anger before taking a deep breath and walking up the stairs and into Ava’s bedroom.

“Hey baby, you okay?” Charlie asked as she took a seat on Ava’s bed and leaned herself against the wall. Ava sat up next to her and Charlie put her arm around her daughter and gently rubbed her arm. Ava looked up at Charlie and shook her head.

“Mummy are you and daddy going to start living in different houses?” Ava asked shyly.

“No sweetie, what makes you think that?” Charlie asked as she ran her hand through Ava’s long dark hair.

“Well Olivia said that her mum and dad shouted a lot at each other one night and now her dad lives in a different house and I don’t want that to happen to me and dad but you and dad shout a lot now” Ava said.

“Aww sweetie, your dad and I love each other very much and we are not going to end up living in different houses” Charlie said

“Well then why are you always shouting at each other now?” Ava asked

“Sometimes mums and dads don’t see eye-to-eye on certain things” Charlie said as Ava pulled a face.

“I don’t know what you mean” Ava said and Charlie bit her lip as she tried to think of a better way to explain things to her daughter.

“You know how sometimes you get mad at Ben and shout at him?” Charlie said and Ava nodded.

“Like when he pulled the head off of my Barbie dolls?” Ava asked

“Yeah like that” Charlie nodded “Well that’s just the same with me and your dad. Sometimes we get mad at each other for certain things so we shout at each other” Charlie said

“But dad won’t move out?” Ava asked

“No sweetie” Charlie said and Ava nodded.

“Okay. You promise” Ava said and Charlie smiled before nodding her head.

“Yeah I promise” Charlie said before she wrapped her arms around Ava and gave her a hug wondering to herself if she should have actually made that promise to her daughter. Things with her and Angelo had been far from great lately and she didn’t know how much longer they could go on like that. Charlie parted from the hug as Ben came running into Ava’s room holding Charlie’s mobile phone.

“Mummy it was ringing” Ben said as he threw the phone at her.

Charlie picked up the phone and looked at the screen to see she had a missed call from Rachel. She was about to call her back when the house phone rang. She got up from the bed and rushed down the stairs to answer it.

“Hello” Charlie said

“Charlie its Rachel you need to get down to the hospital straight away. Ruby’s been brought in” Rachel said

“Oh my god Rachel is she okay? What happened?” Charlie asked as panic set in to her voice.

“Just get down her and I will explain” Rachel said

Charlie walked quickly down the hospital corridor and up to Rachel who was talking to Constable Watson and Constable Avery.

“Where’s Ruby, what’s happened?” Charlie asked as fear and panic plagued her voice.

“She had a bang to the head and was knocked unconscious, but she came round after a few minutes” Rachel said

“But what happened?” Charlie asked as she looked up at Georgina.

“Witnesses tell us that there was a man hassling her. She tried to push him away and he got more forceful and then Ruby was lying on the ground and he was running away. We got a brief description of him but we need to talk to Ruby to see if she can gives us anything better” Georgina told her and Charlie nodded her head.

“Can I go see her?” Charlie asked

“Sure, right this way” Rachel said and they walked down the corridor and into the room.

“Hey, how you feeling?” Charlie asked as she took Ruby’s hand in hers.

“My head hurts, a lot. But apart from that I feel okay” Ruby said as she lifted her hand up and gently rubbed her forehead. “I’m sorry mum. For everything that I’ve done lately”

“It’s okay Ruby, you don’t need to think about that just now” Charlie said

“No, I do. Me ending up in hospital, it’s made me realise I can’t keep going on the way I have. Drinking, abandoning my son, it’s not fair on you or Angelo. I need to take a responsibility for Callum. And now you and Angelo are arguing all the time and it’s all my fault” Ruby said

“Well I’m glad you’ve realised you need help. At least it’s a start” Charlie said and Ruby smiled. “But Ruby don’t blame yourself for whatever is going on with Angelo right now. I don’t know who he is lately. He’s not the man I married” Charlie said

“You will fix things, won’t you?” Ruby said and Charlie shook her head.

“I don’t know Ruby. I hope we can but I just really don’t know” Charlie said as there was a knock at the door and Constable Avery walked in.

“Hey Ruby, I was wanting to ask you some questions about what happened tonight” He said before looking down at Charlie.

“I’ll just be outside” Charlie said before she gently kissed Ruby’s forehead then she walked out of the room. She took a seat on one of the chairs outside the room and Georgina walked up to her and took a seat next to her.

“You alright” Georgina asked and Charlie looked up at her and nodded her head.

“Yeah” Charlie said

“We will find him Charlie” Georgina said and Charlie looked up at her and smiled uneasily.

“Was Angelo still at the station when you got the call out?” Charlie asked and Georgina pulled a rather confused expression on her face.

“Angelo wasn’t working tonight Charlie” Georgina said

“Are you sure? He said he had to go in to finish something” Charlie said and Georgina shook her head.

“No he wasn’t working Charlie” Georgina said and Charlie nodded her head slightly and she bit her lip.

“I’m going to get a coffee. Do you want one?” Charlie asked

“No thanks” Georgina said before Charlie walked down the hall to the coffee machine. When she got back she found Avery was back in the hall talking to Georgina.

“She couldn’t really remember anything. Dr Armstrong reckons she may have amnesia, although it could just be to do with the amount of alcohol she had consumed before it happened. She is lucky she didn’t get a worse bang to the head” Avery said and Charlie nodded her head.

“Right thanks guys” Charlie said “Hopefully she remember more tomorrow”

“Yeah, well we will try her again tomorrow” Georgina said and Charlie nodded. “Right well we best get back to the station” Georgina said as she looked up at Avery who nodded. “Bye Charlie”

“Bye” Charlie said before walking back into the room to say goodnight to Ruby. When she got into her room she room she found Rachel jotting down some notes on Ruby’s file. She looked at the woman and smiled at her before talking.

“We are going to keep her in overnight just to be on the safe side. But she will be fine to go home tomorrow” Rachel said and Charlie nodded her head and she smiled at her friend.

“Thanks Rach” Charlie said before looking at her watch. “Well I better get home and get the kids to bed. No doubt they will be driving Morag crazy” Charlie said and Rachel laughed. Charlie kissed Ruby on the forehead before saying goodnight and leaving the hospital.

Thank you all so much for the comments. :) Here's the next part, I hope you like it :) And Barbara dont worry to much about what Olivia said about JM! :P

Chapter 6

When Charlie arrived back at her house she found it she unusually quiet. “What have you done to my children?” Charlie asked as she looked at Morag who was sitting reading a book in the living room. The house was spotless and it seemed the kids were in bed.

“Granny Morag runs a tight ship” Morag said and Charlie let out a slight laugh before she sat down next to Morag.

“I should get you to babysit more often” Charlie said and Morag nodded her head.

“You know I’m always here if you need me Charlie” Morag said and Charlie smiled “So how’s Ruby?” Morag asked

“She’s fine. She had a bang to the head and got a bit concussed but she can come home tomorrow” Charlie said and Morag smiled.

“That’s good it was nothing serious then” Morag said and Charlie nodded her head.

“Yeah it is” Charlie said before looking down at the floor.

“You know things will get easier Charlie” Morag said.

“I know” Charlie said. “I thought after Callum was born maybe she would be able to put all her focus onto him and it would help her to move on from loosing Xavier but if anything his arrival just made her worse”

“She will come round in her own time. All you need to do is be there for her” Morag said

“Yeah I know. And I am” Charlie said and Morag smiled.

“Are things with you are Angelo getting any better?” Morag asked and Charlie looked up at her and shook her head.

“I’d say they were getting worse” Charlie said sadly. “I think he might be seeing someone else” Charlie said and Morag eyes widened as she shook her head.

“Charlie, Angelo would never do that to you” Morag said as she place a comforting hand on Charlie’s back.

“I used to think that too. But lately he’s been going out late, not telling me where he is going, it’s like he is keeping something from me. I know he is. And tonight he said he was going back into work but Georgina just told me he wasn’t at work. He left the house in plain clothes as well. I should have known he wasn’t going to work” Charlie cried and Morag gently rubbed Charlie’s back.

“Charlie, I’m sure there’s a reasonable explanation for all that. Maybe you misheard him?” Morag said and Charlie shook her head.

“No he said he was working” Charlie said and Morag sighed deeply just as Angelo came into the house.

“Hey, Charlie, what’s wrong?” Angelo asked as he walked across to her noticing she was crying.

“Ruby had a bit of an accident she is in hospital” Morag told him

“What happened? Is she alright? Angelo asked as he sat down next to Charlie and put his arm around her.

“Yeah, she’ll be fine” Charlie said as she stood up from where she was sitting and wiped the tears away from her eyes. “So how was work? Charlie asked and Angelo sat in silence for a moment.

“Yeah fine, I got a lot done” Angelo said and Charlie nodded her head as she shared a glance with Morag.

“Well thanks again for tonight Morag” Charlie said and Morag smiled at her.

“No problem” Morag said before she picked up her bag and made to leave the house. “Bye Angelo” Morag said before she walked out of the door. Charlie walked into the kitchen and started to prepare a bottle for Callum and Angelo walked up and stood next to her.

“Here, let me do that” Angelo said as he tried to take the bottle from Charlie’s hand.

“No, its fine. I’ll do it” Charlie said

“Well is there anything I can do?” Angelo asked and Charlie stopped what she was doing, placed the bottle down on the worktop and took a deep breath and she turned to face Angelo.

“You could tell me where you really were tonight” Charlie said and Angelo pulled a confused expression on his face.

“Charlie I was at work, I told you” Angelo said

“Don’t lie to me Angelo” Charlie shouted “I know you weren’t at work”

“Charlie I swear I was working” Angelo said

“Angelo, I’ve just spoken to Georgina at the hospital. You were not at work. So where have you been?” Angelo looked away from Charlie and sighed lightly and he rubbed his forehead. “Are you seeing somebody else?” Charlie asked tentatively as tears formed in her eyes.

“No of course I’m not. I would never do that to you or the kids” Angelo said as he placed his hands on Charlie arms. “Please believe me Charlie I love you so much and I don’t want to be with anyone but you” Angelo said

“So what’s with the lying about where you are going, coming home late and hardly giving me any excuse as to why and…” Charlie paused “All this stuff with Ruby it’s like you are using it as an excuse to cause arguments so you can leave” Charlie said

“Charlie I don’t want to leave you and I’m not seeing anybody else” Angelo said as he gently rubbed Charlie’s arms. Charlie looked up at Angelo and could see the sincerity in his voice, the look on his face and she nodded her head. “You do believe me, don’t you?”

“Well I want to believe you. I never thought you would do something like that but there has to be some sort of explaination for this Angelo” Charlie said

“And there is” Angelo said and he moved his hands down Charlie’s arms and took her hands in his. “And I will tell you but first I want to apologise for how I’ve been with Ruby. I need to support you more Charlie and show that I care about her because I do Charlie, I love Ruby like she’s my own daughter and I just want her to get help” Charlie smiled at Angelo and was about to speak but stopped at hearing the sound of Callum crying through the baby monitor. Charlie looked down at her watch and pulled a face.

“Poor little guy will be hungry. We’re keeping his meal late” Charlie said and Angelo let out a small laugh as Charlie finished making up the formula. She was about to walk up the stairs to feed him when Angelo took hold of her hand and stopped her.

“I’ll do it” Angelo said as he took the bottle from Charlie and walked up the stairs.

Charlie walked up the stairs to find Angelo standing over the cot watching Callum as he was sleeping. Looking at the big smile on his face also brought a smile to hers. She walked across the room and stood next to Angelo and looked down at Callum.

“Thank you for that” Charlie said as she looked up at Angelo.

“It’s okay. I should have been helping you more often” Angelo said “But I’ve just been so stressed with a case at work lately and I seemed to come home and take it out on you and this situation with Ruby and I truly am sorry” Angelo said

“It’s okay Angelo” Charlie said “But we really need to stop this arguing. It upsetting the kids” Charlie said and Angelo pulled a confused expression on his face

“Really? Has something happened?” Angelo said

“Yeah, well Ava asked me if you were going to move out tonight. She was comparing us to Jack and Martha. Said Olivia told her about her that they had been shouting a lot and that now Jack has moved out and she didn’t want that to happen with you”

“I thought Jack and Martha were working through things?” Angelo said and Charlie nodded.

“They are but Jack hasn’t moved back in yet” Charlie said and Angelo nodded.

“Poor girl. You know I stupidly never thought what all this was doing to the kids” Angelo said “So what did you tell her?”

“I told her that we loved each other very much and that your weren’t going anywhere” Charlie said and Angelo smiled as he nodded his head.

“I do love you Charlie” Angelo said “So much”

“I love you too” Charlie said and Angelo smiled as pulled her closer to him and kissed her softly. Angelo wrapped his arms around her as the kiss became more passionate. Charlie pulled back from him and looked deep into his eyes and smiled before she led him into their bedroom.

Once again, thank you for the comments. :)

Chapter 7

Charlie walked along the corridor of the hospital and into Ruby’s room. “Hey Rubes you alright?” Charlie asked as she gently placed her hand on Ruby’s shoulder.

“I’m fine. Just want to get home” Ruby said as she jumped down from the bed and wrapped her arms tightly around Charlie which Charlie was slightly taken aback by.

“What’s this for?” Charlie asked as she wrapped her arms round Ruby, returning the hug.

“Everything” Ruby said before stepping back. “You’ve been great these past few months and I’ve just threw it back in your face and caused nothing but trouble between you and Angelo yet your still so nice to me and help me” Ruby paused “But I really mean it mum, I’m going to stop all this and take a responsibly for Callum, you know really be a mother to him” Ruby said and Charlie smiled down at her daughter.

“That’s great Rubes” Charlie said and Ruby smiled at her mother. “So…” Charlie said as she moved Ruby’s hair behind her ear. “Georgina wants you to go down the station to answer some questions about what happened last night” Charlie said

“I don’t really remember” Ruby said and Charlie nodded her head

“That’s okay, just tell them what you do remember” Charlie said and Ruby let out a sigh.

“Right, let’s go then” Ruby said before they left the room and Charlie drove to the station. Constable Avery and Georgina were there waiting when Ruby walked into the station.

“Morning Ruby how are you today?” Georgina asked

“Yeah, I’m fine” Ruby said

“Good, now if you would like to come through here with us” Georgina said as she pointed into the interview room where Avery had already made his way too.

“Can mum come with me?” Ruby asked as she grabbed hold of Charlie’s arm. Georgina looked up at Charlie before looking back down at Ruby and she nodded her head.

“Sure” Georgina said before walking into the room.

“So Ruby” Avery spoke “Just tell us anything you can remember about last night”

Ruby cleared her throat before she took a deep breath. “I remember being in a bar” Ruby said before she looked down and started to play with her wedding ring. Charlie placed her hand on Ruby’s back and gently rubbed it. Ruby looked up at Charlie, who nodded encouragingly at her before looking back round at the officers. She sighed heavily before she began to speak again. “A guy walked up to me and started saying stuff to me but I don’t really remember what he said. I walked away and went outside to hail a cab when I felt a hand on my shoulder. Next thing I remember I’m in the hospital” Ruby stopped talking and looked round at Charlie again who smiled down at her daughter.

“Ruby can you remember what this guy looked like?” Georgina asked and Ruby sat in silence for a moment trying to picture the guy in her head.

“Not really. It was pretty dark” Ruby said and Georgina and Avery exchanged looks with each other before they looked back round at Ruby.

“Okay, well thanks for coming in Ruby and if you remember anything else please come and let us know” Avery said and Ruby nodded her head as she stood up. Charlie and Ruby left the station and went back home to find the house empty. Charlie picked up her mobile which she had forgotten to take with her and noticed she had a missed call form Angelo. She was about to call him back when she noticed there was a note left on the kitchen table.

Charlie

Ben and I have gone fishing with Jack, Tony, and Matthew. Ava and Callum are at Rachel’s. Be home in time for dinner.

Angelo

xx

“So where is everyone?" Ruby asked as she walked into the kitchen and opened the fridge and picked out the carton of orange juice.

“Angelo and Ben have gone fishing and Ava and Callum are around at Rachel’s” Charlie said and Ruby nodded as she took a class out of the cupboard before pouring herself a glass of juice. “So I will just go and pick them up” Charlie said and Ruby nodded.

“Okay” Ruby said before she walked out of the kitchen and up the stairs.

Charlie knocked on the door and Harry answered. “Ava your mum’s here” Harry shouted before looking back round at Charlie. “Hi Charlie, come in” Harry said and Charlie smiled at the boy before walking into the house.

“So you not fancy going fishing with your dad then?” Charlie asked and Harry shook his head.

“Eh no, fishing is so boring” Harry said “I’d rather watch paint dry”

“I’m sure that can be arranged” Rachel said as she walked into the room cradling the baby in her arms. Harry looked up at her a pulled a face before walking out of the room and along to his bedroom.

“Charlie hi, can I get you a coffee or anything?” Rachel said and Charlie shook her head.

“No thanks” Charlie said “I’ll just get these two home” Charlie said as she took the baby from Rachel’s arms before shouting on her daughter. Ava and Emily came running in from the garden.

“Mum, cant I stay we’re in the middle of a game” Ava moaned and Charlie looked up at Rachel.

“It’s fine by me if she wants to stay. Keeps Emily entertained too” Rachel said and Charlie nodded her head.

“Okay then, you can stay a while longer” Charlie said

“Yey, thanks mum” Ava said before she and Emily ran back out into the garden.

“So how’s Ruby?” Rachel asked

“Yeah, she fine. We went down to the station this morning but she doesn’t really remember much” Charlie said.

“It might come back to her Charlie” Rachel said and Charlie nodded her head.

“Yeah. Well at least one good thing came for this” Charlie said and Rachel pulled a faced.

“Oh what’s that?” Rachel asked intrigued by her friends comment.

“She said she is going to start being a proper mother to Callum” Charlie said and Rachel smiled.

“Well I hope means that” Rachel said

“Only one way to find out” Charlie said before thanking Rachel once more and then leaving the house.

Charlie walked into the house and up to Ruby’s bedroom to find Ruby sitting on the bed reading a magazine. Ruby looked up as she heard Charlie walking into the room and smiled nervously at her mother who was carrying her baby son. Charlie placed the baby in the cot before walking over and taking a seat next to Ruby.

“I can’t mum” Ruby said before Charlie had the chance to speak. “I’m sorry but I can’t”

“Yes you can Ruby. He need’s his mum” Charlie said before she placed her hand on Ruby’s shoulder.

“But I cant” Ruby said.

“Ruby, Callum needs his mum. Please don’t turn you back on him because one day you wake up and regret that decision. I know I did” Charlie said and Ruby looked up at her as she wiped the tears from her eyes. “Rubes, please don’t make the same mistake I did”

“I can’t bring myself to look at him. He looks like Xavier” Ruby cried and Charlie wrapped her arms around her daughter and held her as she cried.

“Rubes, it will get easier. And looking at Callum is only going to remind you of what a lovely man Xavier was and he is always going to be with you through your son” Charlie said and Ruby nodded her head. She took a deep breath before she stood up and made her way over to the cot. She looked down at her baby and a tear fell down her cheek. She placed a hand into the cot and gently stroked the boy’s forehead. A smile appeared on her face as the little boy looked up at her, his big blue eyes studying her face. She picked him up at held him in her arms and lovingly placed a kiss on his forehead. Charlie smiled as she watched her daughter take a seat on the rocking chair and look lovingly down at her son. She stood up from where she was sitting and made her way across the room and to the door.

“Is this alright?” Ruby asked as she looked up at her mother from the chair.

“Perfect” Charlie smiled as she left Ruby to bond with her son.

Thank you Elainea, Barbara, Sarah, Callyha and Ashleyjane for your lovely comments. :)

Chapter 8

“Mummy, mummy, I caught a fish, I caught a fish” Ben shouted as he ran through the house and up to Charlie.

“Ah wow, good job Ben” Charlie said as she ruffled he son’s hair. “It’s just a baby one” Ben said. But daddy caught a big one” Ben said as he opened his arms out as wide as he could get them just as Angelo walked into the room.

“I’m going to go tell Ruby” Ben said excitedly and Charlie and Angelo watched as their son ran out the room and made his way up the stairs.

“Since when were you going fishing today? I thought you were working?” Charlie asked.

“Yeah I was supposed to be but I took the day off” Angelo said as he opened the fridge and took out a bottle of beer. “I wanted to make it up to Ben for breaking my promise with him and when I mentioned fishing, well he couldn’t refuse and caved in and spoke to me” Angelo said and Charlie laughed.

“Well that’s good” Charlie smiled and Angelo nodded as he pulled the top off his bottle of beer and then took a long drink before placing the bottle down on the worktop and moving closer to Charlie.

“So how did Ruby go down at the station?” Angelo asked

“Alright, I guess. She doesn’t really remember much” Charlie said and Angelo nodded.

“Hopefully it’ll come back to her” Angelo said and Charlie nodded in agreement. “So where is everyone else?” Angelo asked

“Ava is still at Rachel’s and Ruby is giving Callum his bottle” Charlie said

“Really? She’s giving Callum his bottle?” Angelo said surprised and Charlie nodded

“Yeah, we talked some more and I think I finally got through to her” Charlie said “And I think her ending up in hospital might have helped her see sense too” Angelo smiled at Charlie and pulled her closer to him and planted a kiss on her lips.

“What was that for?” Charlie asked

“Do I need a reason to kiss my beautiful wife?” Angelo asked and Charlie shook her head.

“Most definetly not” Charlie grinned as she wrapped her arms around Angelo and they kissed again. “Angelo” Charlie said as they parted from the kiss.

“Hmm” Angelo said as he put Charlie’s hair behind her ear.

“Yesterday you said there was an expanation for all your recent behaviour” Charlie paused and looked away from Angelo as she bit her lip. She took a deep breath before speaking again. “I want you to tell me, now” Charlie said and Angelo nodded his head.

“Sure” Angelo said

“And I want the truth, Angelo” Charlie said

“Okay” Angelo said as he nodded his head. He took her hands in his and took a deep breath . “It’s James. He out there, on the run” Angelo said and Charlie’s eyes widened in horror. She pulled away her hands from Angelo and took a few steps back. She put her hand up and rubbed her forehead.

“What do you mean on the run? How the hell did the out?” Charlie asked anger and confussion present in her voice.

“Charlie, why dont we go and sit down and I will explain” Angelo said as he tried to take hold of Charlie but she pulled her hand away and moved further across the room.

“Just tell me Angelo” Charlie yelled. Angelo sighed as he gently rubbed his forehead before looking back up at Charlie.

“About 5 weeks ago I got a call saying he was being transferred to another prison when there was a crash and he escaped from the vehicle and ran off and now he’s out there in hiding” Angelo said

“Five weeks?” Charlie said. “Five weeks. You’ve known this for five weeks and not said a word?” Charlie shouted anger very much present in her tone.

“You’ve had enough to deal with recently with Ruby and Callum. I didn’t want to worry you even more and he probably wont come anywhere near the bay” Angelo said as he walked across to where Charlie was standing and tried to place his hand reassuringly on Charlie shoulder but she pulled back.

“Angelo his brother is dead because of us, he is in jail because of us, he kidnapped our daughter, he wants revenge on this family of course he is going come for us” Charlie shouted

“Charlie he won’t want to be caught again, if he has any sense he will be long gone from this area” Angelo said

“Ruby” Charlie said

“What?” Angelo spoke in a confused tone.

“Well she got attacked last night didn’t she? Oh my god Angelo it was him. It has to be”

“Charlie we don’t know that” Angelo said and Charlie shook her head in disbelief.

“When did you become so stupid?” Charlie spat. “James goes missing then Ruby winds up attacked. It doesn’t take a genius to work out that one Angelo”

“Charlie don’t you think if he was going to do anything he would have done so by now? He’s been on the run for ages” Angelo said

“I dont know” Charlie said as she shrugged her shoulders. “But Angelo he wanted someone to pay for his brothers death. He wanted revenge on us, on you”

“Charlie, I am not going to let anything happen to this family. We will find him before he gets the chance to do anything” Angelo said as he stepped forward and took Charlie’s hand in his. “Trust me” Angelo said

“Trust you?” Angelo you have been lying to me for weeks” Charlie said as she pulled her hand away and walked out of the room away from Angelo. Angelo started to walk after her but Charlie turned around and stopped him. “Just leave me alone” Charlie said before she walked away from her husband.

Outside of the house a man was standing watching as the paired argued. In his hands he held a can of petrol and in his back pocket a box of matches.

Once again, thank you so much to those of you who leave a comment. I really appreciate them and they really keep me going. Just a small update, enjoy :)

Chapter 9

James was standing at the top of the hill, the can of petrol no longer in his hands, the matches no longer in his pocket. A smug grin was plastered across his face as he watched the house burning from afar. He watched as a thick dark smoke cloud formed over the house, as the police, ambulance and fire brigade sped to the house with their sirens blaring, as each person in the house was brought out to safety, as Ruby desperately clutched onto her baby son while the medics checked them over. He watched Charlie as she was frantically fighting against the fireman who was stopping her from trying to get back into house.

“No, I need to get back in. My son is still in there” Charlie was yelling as the tears streamed down her face. “My baby, he’s my baby. I need to save him”

“Please just stay back. We will get your son” The fireman said with authority in his voice.

“Mum, you can’t go back in just let the firemen do their job” Ruby said as she tried to take hold of Charlie.

“He was right with me, I was holding him. I don’t know what happened” Charlie said.

“He’ll be alright mum” Ruby said as she placed a loving arm around Charlie.

“If anything happens to him I will never forgive myself. I should have protected him better” Charlie cried

“Hey, don’t think like that” Ruby said before gently rubbing Charlie’s arm. “They are going to get him out and he will be fine” Ruby said trying her best to stay calm for Charlie but inside she was overcome with worry for her little brother. Charlie just stood there and stared at her daughter. She didn’t respond to what Ruby had said. Instead she just cried uncontrollably and collapsed into her daughter’s arms. Ruby held her mother as she cried and prayed to herself that Ben would be okay. After an agonising few minutes Ruby saw a fireman walk out of the house clutching her little bother and a wave of relief washed over her and her mother.

“Ben” Charlie shouted as she ran across to the boy who was being handed over to a paramedic to be checked over.

“Mummy” Ben struggled to breathe and it came out in a whisper. He held out his arms for Charlie to take and she took hold of his hand briefly before being asked to step back and let the medic check him over. After what seemed like hours but in theory was only a few minutes Charlie was holding her young son in her arms.

“Is he alright?” Charlie said fear present in her tone.

“Just some smoke inhalation” the medic replied as she placed an oxygen mask over Ben’s face. Ben struggled and tried to take it off but Charlie told him that he must keep in on so he will be able to breathe better again. Ruby walked over to where Charlie was sitting holding Ben and took a seat next to her. She put her arm around her and leaned her head against Charlie’s shoulder. Charlie looked down at her daughter as a tear fell down her cheek.

“It’s gone” Charlie cried “Everything is gone”

“Hey, mum, we are all safe and fine. That’s the most important thing. All that stuff, it can be replaced” Ruby said and Charlie nodded.

“How did this happen?” Charlie questioned. “How did a fire start?”

“I don’t know how” Ruby said as she shrugged her shoulders before looking at Charlie who looked deep in thought.

“James” Charlie said “It was him, it has to be”

“What? Mum James is in jail” Ruby said confused by Charlie’s theory.

“No” Charlie said as she shook her head. “He’s on the run. He got out Ruby” Charlie said

“What? How long have you known for? Why didn’t you tell me this?” Ruby said

“I only just found out Ruby. Angelo’s been keeping it from me for five weeks” Charlie said before her eyes widened and her head shot up and she desperately looked around the area trying to spot her husband. “Angelo” Charlie shouted as she looked around but there was no response and he was no where to be seen. “Angelo” Charlie yelled again as she stood up and placed Ben back down on the chair next to Ruby. Before Charlie knew what she was doing she found herself running towards the house and ran into the burning building. “Angelo” Charlie screamed as she lifted her arm up near her face trying to shield herself from the ferocious flames. She made her way through the house coughing as the smoke filled her lungs. Looking around the room Angelo was nowhere to be seen. She walked further into the house but the smoke was thickening and Charlie was finding it increasing difficult to breathe. Suddenly Charlie became very light headed and her eyes began to close. “A-n-g-elo” Charlie croaked before she fell to the floor.

Thank you so much Hannah-K, charlie29, callyha, Barbara, ~JarlieFanEver~, Laura158, tessalove, freckleface and carywary for you lovely comments. I really appreciate you taking the time to write something and they really do keep me going. I am so glad you are all enjoying this fiction. I hope you like this next chapter. :)

Chapter 10

Angelo walked out of the ambulance and looked over the fire engine and the crowd of firemen desperate to find his family had made it out to safety. He saw the second ambulance and quickly ran over to it noticing only Ruby and Ben where there.

“Ruby” Angelo shouted as he approached her. “Are you guys alright”? He asked as he placed his hand on Ruby’s arm who had begun to nod.

“Yeah we’re fine” Ruby said and Angelo looked down and Ben and scooped him into his arms and hugged him tightly.

“What about Charlie? Where is she?” Angelo asked as panic set into his voice.

“She went to look for you” Ruby said and Angelo’s eyes widened with horror and he frantically started looked around for his wife.

“Charlie” Angelo shouted but there was no response. He placed Ben back down next to Ruby before running into the direction of the house. “Charlie” Angelo shouted again as he got closer.

“Mate you need to stay back, we need to get this put out” The fireman said.

“My wife is in there” Angelo shouted as he pushed him out of the way and ran into the burning house coughing immediately as the thick smoke hit the back of his throat. “Charlie” Angelo shouted as he moved through the house shielding his eyes from the bright burning flames. He looked down to the floor as his chest became tight and his breathing became difficult. Then he spotted her lying on the floor and ran towards her and knelt down and took her body in his arms. “Charlie can you hear me?” Angelo shouted but there was no response. “Oh Charlie” Angelo said before he lifted her into his arms and made his way out of the building as fast as he could. “Help, someone please help” Angelo shouted as he ran outside and fell to his knees placing Charlie down on the grass. The paramedics ran over to her and a frantic Angelo had to be held back from his wife. James still stood in the distance and watched as the paramedics carefully moved Charlie onto a stretcher and put her in the back of the ambulance with Angelo jumping in beside her. The smug smile still plastered across his face. He watched as the ambulance sped of with its sirens blaring, as the fireman fought to put the fire out and as Ruby along with Ben and Callum got into the car and were driven to the hospital to be with Charlie. Then he turned around and ran down the hill and jumped into a car and sped away.

It had been 2 days since the fire and Ruby had taken Ava, Ben and Callum to the Diner for some lunch when Nicole and Geoff walked in with their young daughter, Jessica.

“Ru-bee” Jessica shouted as she let go of her dad’s hand and ran across to her. “It’s new” Jessica said as she held onto her dress and span around in circles.

“Oh wow, its really pretty” Ruby said and Jessica nodded her head as she got a big smile on her face. “Is this one of your designs?” Ruby asked as she looked up at Nicole. Nicole had her own fashion company and after making a successful range of women’s clothes she had moved on to designing clothes for children.

“Yeah it is” Nicole said before pointing to the spare seat at the table. “Can we join you?” Nicole asked and Ruby nodded. Nicole took a seat as Geoff pulled a seat across from the other table and sat down next to his wife. Jessica looked up at Ruby before putting her hands onto her knees and climbing up and sitting on her knee.

“So, how is your mum?” Geoff asked

“Ehm, yeah she is fine” Ruby said and Geoff nodded

“So how long does she have to stay in hospital for?” Nicole asked and Ruby shrugged her shoulders.

“I’m not sure. Hopefully I’ll find out more when we go in after this lot have had their lunch” Ruby said and Nicole and Geoff nodded simultaneously.

“So do they know how this fire started yet?” Geoff asked

“No, Angelo is with the police and firemen right now. They are around at the house looking for evidence or anything to show how it could have started” Ruby said and Geoff nodded understandingly.

“I missed the fire” Ava said “I was staying at Emily’s house”

“Ohh I sawed it. There was fire trucks. Big red ones. And when I came out the house I had to wear a funny mask so I could breathe right” Ben said. “I didn’t like it. But I liked the fire trucks. Do you like trucks Geoff?”

“Yeah mate, they’re cool” Geoff said

“Yeah they’re cool” Ben laughed

“Geoff?” Ava said “Why does God let stuff like fire’s happen?” Ava asked as she looked up Geoff, who was the minister at the local Church.

“Eh” Geoff said “Some things that happen are out of the Lord’s control” Geoff said and Ava pulled a face before shrugging Geoff’s statement off.

“Where are we going to live now Ruby?” Ava asked as she looked round at Ruby.

“Well we are going to keep staying Morag’s” Ruby said

“But there are not much rooms” Ava said

“Yeah yeah” Ben shouted “There’s 3” Ben said as he held up 3 fingers. “And we’ve stayed last night and the night before fine”

“That’s not a lot for us all Ben” Ava said “One for granny, one for mummy and daddy and then one more” Ava said as she counted out the rooms on her fingers. “Does that mean me, you, Ben and Callum all have to stay in the same room?” Ava asked.

“Ehm, yeah we will have to Ava. Until we can find somewhere else” Ruby said

“You and Callum can have the spare room at our place if you want?” Nicole said “Can’t they Geoff?”

“Eh yea sure” Geoff said.

“Oh right, thanks guys” Ruby smiled before looking down at Jessica who was still sitting on her knee. “What do you think Jess? Can I live with you?” Ruby said as she gave the girl a cuddle.

“I Jessica” Jessica said and Geoff and Nicole let out a small laugh.

“She doesn’t like getting called Jess” Geoff said and Ruby nodded her head.

“I princess Jessica” Jessica said.

“That’s right” Nicole laughed “Daddy’s spoiled little princess”

“Well, princess Jessica” Ruby said “Can I stay with you?” Ruby asked and Jessica nodded her head before smiling up at Ruby.

“Sorry about the wait guys, we’re just so busy today” Leah said as walked across the table to take everyone’s orders.

“Oh its fine” Ruby said

“No it’s not Ruby, we’ve waited ages” Ava spat before she folded her arms crossly and looked away from the table.

“Ava they’ve been busy” Ruby said

“Well she should have still come to us quicker” Ava shouted as she pointed at Leah. “She’s just stupid”

“Ava” Ruby said surprised at her younger sister’s sudden outburst. Nicole and Geoff shared a quick glance with each other before looking up at Leah who looked pretty stunned.

“I’m so sorry Leah” Ruby said “Ava say sorry to Leah”

“No, I don’t want to eat lunch here, I don’t want to say sorry to Leah. I just want to see my mum” Ava shouted

“Ava, you can’t see mum right now, we need to wait for visiting times” Ruby said as she stood up and placed Jessica on the ground who ran over to Geoff and he picked her up and sat her on his knee. Ruby walked to the other side of the table and knelt down next to Ava. She put her hand on Ava’s arm and rubbed it gently.

“Get off” Ava shouted “I just want my mum” Ava said as she pushed Ruby out of the way and ran out of the Diner.

“Well I want mummy too” Ben said as he jumped down from the seat and followed his sister.

“Ava, Ben” Ruby shouted as she stood back up and made her way over to the pram.

“We’ll watch him” Nicole said “Just go get them”

“Thanks” Ruby said before she ran out of the diner and chased after Ava and Ben who were walking hand in hand along the path.

“Ava” Ruby shouted as she grabbed hold of her arm. Ava turned around and looked up at Ruby, tears falling down her face.

“I just wanted to see mum” Ava said and Ruby exhaled lightly before pulling her sister into a hug.

“Okay, we’ll go now” Ruby said

“What about visiting times though?” Ava asked and Ruby sighed before looking at her watch.

“I’ll talk to Rachel, see if we can go in a little earlier” Ruby said and Ava smiled.

“Thank you Ruby” Ava said as she smiled up at her sister. “And I’m sorry for shouting and running off like that”

“Its okay” Ruby smiled “But I think you owe someone else an apology, don’t you?” Ruby said and Ava nodded as she looked down at the ground.

“But can I say sorry to Leah later after we go see mum?” Ava said and Ruby nodded her head.

“I suppose so” Ruby said and Ava smiled. Ruby then walked Ava and Ben to her car and drove off in the direction of the hospital.

Archived