Family Matters

Guest HighwayUnicorn

Story Title: Family Matters (Sequel to Romance in the Bay)

Type of Story: Long Fic

Main Characters: Aden, Belle + Regulars

BTTB Rating: T/A

Genre: Romance, Drama, Angst

Does the Story Include Spoilers? None

Any Warning: Will warn at the start of chapter

Summary: Set seventeen years after Romance in the Bay. Belle and Aden find themselves with vast amounts of responsibilities after having a family of their own. Will they live 'happily ever after' in Summer Bay or will drama follow them around? Especially when the one person who wants to ruin their lives returns to destroy their relationship?

CHAPTER ONE

“Jayden, you need to get up now!” Belle screamed up the stairs to her son who was asleep in bed. “Lilly, you’re packed lunch is on the side and Tyler, have you got your money?”

Tyler nodded. “Yeah, can I go now mum? I’m gonna be late otherwise and if Jayden can’t be bothered to get ready and be on time, then I can’t be bothered to wait.”

“Ah, good morning” Aden greeted his family, having just got ready. He headed into the kitchen, sensing the hassle that was surrounding the family on Monday morning, the start of the week. He placed an arm around Belle’s waist and pressed a kiss to her lips.

“Yuck! Daddy that’s gross” Olivia announced as she observed her parents kissing each other passionately. She placed her hands over her eyes and scrunched up her nose, her signal to show disappointment, just like her mother. Her blonde hair flowed just below her shoulders, her locks falling perfectly around her face.

“And good morning to you too sweetheart” Aden smiled heading towards his daughter and crouching down to her level, pressing a kiss to her forehead when she took her hands away from her face.

“Mum!” Tyler yelled, annoyed that everybody else was clearly worried about getting ready, rather than his travel to school.

“Tyler, you’re dad can drop you off on his way to work, okay?” Belle told him. “And I’ll take the girls to school?” she suggested turning to face her husband.

“Sure thing” Aden agreed. “Lilly is finishing off some of her homework in her bedroom and Danielle is locked in the bathroom doing ... whatever you girls do” he murmured with a smile as he spoke to his wife who nodded. “You ready then Tyler?” he questioned.

“Have been all morning” his son muttered as he threw his bag over his shoulder and exited the door, heading towards the car.

“Whatever happened to when he was young, hey? No backchat, no arguments” he laughed as Belle reminisced back to when she first found out that she was pregnant with Tyler.

FLASHBACK

Belle instantly recoiled in pain, clutching at her stomach and leaning against the wall in the living room for support. She didn’t know what was wrong or what the pain was. It was something indescribable. She needed a trained doctor, Aden, but he was at work and there was no way she could get to the phone in her current condition. Jayden was upstairs playing in his playpen, living in their old two-bedroom house. Danielle was having a nap in her cot upstairs, only two years if age, her brother another two years older. She was looking after him but clearly not doing a very job at it. She breathed in deeply, a sharp pain suddenly shooting through her abdomen as she whimpered in pain.

Within an instant of pushing her body weakly away from the wall, Belle collapsed to the floor, darkness overcoming her mind as she closed her eyes tightly shut.

Another half an hour passed and Belle still hadn’t stirred when Aden put the key in the door, returning home from the hospital after his shift. “Honey, I’m ... Oh my God!” he exclaimed, walking into the hallway and instantly spotting his wife’s unconscious body sprawled across the floor. “Belle” he encouraged her to awake, shaking her body gently as he collapsed beside her. “Come on sweetheart, wake up for me. Come on” he encouraged her, although he knew it was a pointless task. He rummaged through his hospital bag, pulling out an oxygen mask. Gently lifting Belle’s head, he placed the mask over her mouth and nose. “Stay with me, Belle” he told her, although he figured that his words weren’t registering her unconscious mind. He pressed his tow forefingers to her neck, feeling for a pulse, feeling a steady one as he did so. He breathed a sigh of relief.

Tears stung at his eyes as he checked her body over for any sign of injury, finding nothing. He then pulled out a needle, taking a sample of Belle’s blood, a slight smile forming his lips as he realised that it was easier to do this when she was unconscious, because right now, it would have probably been the other way, with him being unconscious instead of his wife.

Pulling the phone out of his pocket, Belle’s head on his lap, he dialled Irene, who answered within an instant. He quickly explained the situation to her, informing her that she needed to look after the children.

Within ten minutes, Irene had quickly walked to Aden and Belle’s house, entering, the door unlocked. She quickly headed upstairs to see to the children, following Aden’s command.

“Okay baby” Aden whispered, gently picking Belle up from the floor and walking down the drive, holding her tightly in his arms. He carefully placed her in the car and drove to the hospital. Once he reached his destination, he took his wife inside the hospital, rushing past other doctors and nurses, Rachel being one of them who instantly followed.

He took her to the examination room and placed her on the bed.

“Aden, what’s going on?” Rachel suddenly asked, clearly worried at Aden’s silence.

“I found her unconscious when I arrived home. I don’t know what’s happened or how long she’s been like this but I need to find some sort of explanation Rach. Here’s a sample of her blood” he told her, pulling the bottle out of his pocket and handing it to his work colleague, who took it, taking it to the lab for testing.

An hour or so passed and Aden had managed to hook Belle up to a variety of wires which would help her to regain consciousness. Within another fifteen minutes, she had awoken, her eyelids fluttering. “Aden?” she questioned, her throat dry. “What ... where ... the kids?” she suddenly asked, sitting up, although instantly regretting it as once again, pain shot through her abdomen.

Aden pressed his hands gently on her shoulders, pushing her back down towards the bed. “You need to rest, sweetheart. You’re in hospital, you collapsed” he told her, his expression questioning her, although his verbal language not insinuating that he neither wanted nor needed an answer at this moment.

“I ... everything went black ... I just ... I can’t remember” she moaned as Aden stroked her cheek and shushed her. “Danielle? Jayden?” she whimpered.

“Irene” Aden spoke with a smile on his face as one also formed on Belle’s lips as she closed her eyes.

Aden pulled a piece of paper out of his pocket, the rustling causing Belle to open her eyes and concentrate on her husband. “What’s that?” she asked.

Aden smiled. “I had to take a blood test when you were unconscious and these, sweetheart, are the results” he told her, handing the piece of paper to Belle, which she warily accepted, scanning through it before her eyes lit and up and a grin from ear to ear formed. “Oh my God” she breathed. “Aden, we’re pregnant!” she screeched.

END FLASHBACK

Aden followed him pressing a quick kiss to Belle’s lips as he passed her. “See you tonight baby.”

“And you” Belle replied. “Have a good day at work” she added before turning her attention back to Olivia when Tyler and Aden exited the house.

“Livvie, what do you want for breakfast babes?”

“Krispies please” she asked politely as her mother headed towards the kitchen cupboard, pulling out a bowl and the box of cereal before adding the milk.

“There you go sweetheart” Belle breathed, handing her daughter the bowl and a spoon. “Table, please, Liv” she added as she noticed her daughter trying to take advantage and sit at the sofa to eat her breakfast. Without any hassle, her youngest daughter sat at the table and began to consume her breakfast.

“Lilly, are you gonna have anything?” she asked her other daughter who was sat on the floor, pulling on her black school shoes, her black skirt flowing delicately below the knee. She nodded her head, “toast, please” she requested as her mother prepared that.

“Mum, has dad already gone?” Danielle asked as she entered through to the living room, her leather jacket fitted perfectly around the girl, her brown hair scraped back into a pony tail and excess mascara applied to her lashes.

“Yep, he left about 10 minutes ago” Belle told her as her daughter groaned. “Well you asked. And if you had been ready just like your brother, you would have got a lift too.”

“Jayden’s already gone?” Danielle questioned in a surprised tone.

“No. Tyler has. Jayden’s still in bed. But ...” she trailed off, pulling out her purse from her handbag, “there’s your bus fare.”

“Thank you” she muttered, pressing a quick kiss to her mum’s cheek and exiting the house as Belle called out after her.

“See you tonight babes.”

“Whatever” the stroppy teenager muttered when she was out of earshot from Belle.

“Girls, you ready to go?” she asked Lilly and Olivia as she entered the house again, Lilly finishing off the toast which she received from the toaster, Olivia slurping the milk from her cereal bowl. Both of them nodded. “Okay, go and clean your teeth” she told them as she took the plates and bowls into the kitchen to wash them up.

Moments later, the girls came back down the stairs, Lilly picking up her book bag for school from the sofa and heading over to her mother who shouted up the stairs one last time to her son. “Jayden, I’m off. If you’re not going in, I suggest you phone the school!” She took hold of Olivia’s hand, Lilly following as they headed out to the car, strapping them into their seats before getting into the car herself and driving to the school to drop Lilly off, before heading to the shopping centre with Olivia.

“Jayden, I really think you should tell your parents about this” the doctor told the seventeen year old as he sat in the hospital room on the bed.

Jayden was the exact duplicate of his father, also containing some of his mother’s features; his eyes were a perfect ocean blue colour just like Aden’s, yet his hair was exactly like Belle’s, chocolate brown.

“No, it doesn’t matter. And besides, they don’t need to know” he told the young male doctor who examined him.

“I’m pretty sure that they’d want to know why you were in a fight, Jayden. And how are you going to explain your injuries to them?”

Jayden shrugged. “I dunno. I’ll tell them I tripped or something, okay?”

“You know that’s not going to work. And your father’s bound to find out, Jayden.”

“Not unless you tell him. Or if he accesses my medical notes but that’s illegal and he’ll lose his job. So really the only way he would find out, is if you tell him. And if you tell him, I’ll make sure you lose your job.”

“I wasn’t going to tell him, Jayden. Because I think you should. Your dad is a doctor, he’s bound to realise that something’s not right and Jayden, you don’t have to have a degree to know that having a gash on your eyebrow is caused by something or someone. Surely they’d notice you weren’t there last night?”

“They wouldn’t have waited up for me. I came here at about 5am. And I’ve been waiting here all this time to be seen ... ouch!” he exclaimed as the doctor finished stitching the young boy’s cut on his eyebrow.

“You still haven’t told me ... how did you get into the fight in the first place?”

Jayden shrugged. “I ... I was on my way home from a party last night, my parents knew I was going anyway, they just thought I was gonna bring a friend back home too but he left earlier because he felt ill. Anyway, by 11pm, I started walking home, what with me having to be in school today and everything ... as I was walking home, there was a group of guys in an alley way and I didn’t think anything of it until I heard a girl scream. I went running down there to see what was going on and they were pulling at her dress ... so I told them to stop.”

“And they hit you?”

“Yeah. Ironic, huh? You try to help someone but then you end up getting hurt yourself. I couldn’t have left her with them, knowing what was probably going through their minds.”

Doctor Shaw listened with intent before speaking once again. “And this girl? Did she get away?”

Jayden nodded. “Yeah, she got away.”

“Can you give me a description of her?”

Jayden shrugged. “It was dark. I can’t really remember what she looked like. She was young though, no older than Danielle I’d say.”

The doctor nodded. “Okay. But ... Jayden, what I don’t understand is why you don’t want to tell your parents? Surely they’d think you were really brave for doing this?”

Once again, the young boy shrugged.

“Jayden, there’s something you’re not telling me isn’t there?”

"Look, doc, I can’t tell them, okay? I could if I ... look, when I was at the party, I had a drink, only one beer but then, the rest of my friends, peer pressure if you like, I ... I took ...” Jayden trailed off.

“What did you take Jayden?” the doctor asked, folding his arms. “I’m not angry and I won’t tell your parents but I need to know because this could have serious implications on your own health.”

“Cocaine” he whispered. “I took cocaine.”

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CHAPTER TWO

“Honey, I’m home!” a deep, husky voice suddenly shouted as Aden entered through the door.

“Hey baby” Belle greeted her husband as she emerged from the bathroom and threw herself into Aden’s arms, who gratefully held her, pressing kisses into her hair. “Did you have a good day?” she whispered into his chest.

Aden nodded gently. “It was okay, it could have been better I suppose.”

“Why?” Belle suddenly asked, pulling away and looking at her husband directly, keeping her arms wrapped around his waist whilst Aden’s arms remained wrapped around Belle’s shoulders.

“Where are the kids?” he asked delicately.

“I don’t know where Jayden is, he never got up for school but when I got back, he wasn’t at home” Belle shrugged before continuing. “Lilly’s upstairs listening to music, Tyler’s doing homework in his bedroom, Danielle is watching television and Livvie is having a nap” she told him, the children either doing extra work or relaxing having returned home from school. “What’s up?”

“I had a patient today” he sighed. “He’s seven. His ... grandfather ... he ...” Aden trailed off pulling away from his wife and leaning against a counter in the kitchen.

“Aden, babe” Belle sighed reaching a hand out towards her husband and resting a hand on his chest. “We always knew something like this could come up, you know? But you have been so strong and you’ve done so well. You said you wanted to help people, right?” she questioned as Aden nodded. “Exactly and I know you’re never going to forget what your grandfather did to you ... I don’t expect you to forget but babe, you can’t let him win, okay? You enjoy doing this job and helping other children.”

“Yeah, yeah, I guess you’re right” Aden smiled.

“I’m always right” Belle laughed as she leant towards Aden and pressed a kiss to his lips. “I’m a woman” she giggled.

“Now that is true” Aden smirked, before pressing a kiss to his wife’s lips, cupping her face gently in his hands as she wrapped her arms around his torso. “Now, do you think the kids are too busy to notice us slipping into our bedroom?” he whispered seductively.

“Mmm” Belle moaned into her husband’s lips. “Spoken too soon” she giggled as Danielle emerged from her bedroom and headed downstairs.

“Yuck, mum, dad, that’s gross” she moaned as she entered the kitchen and opened the fridge door, reaching for a bar of chocolate.

“Erm, no thank you” Belle said as she pulled out of Aden’s arms and took the chocolate bar out of Danielle’s hand, placing it into the fridge. “It’s dinner time soon.”

“But ...”

“No buts Danni. Don’t argue with your mother” Aden chimed in. “Where’s your brother?”

Danielle shrugged. “I dunno. Maybe he didn’t come home from the party last night?” she suggested.

“He would have called” Belle murmured.

“He’s not that much of an angel mum, seriously” Danielle laughed. “Despite what you seem to think” she muttered as she exited the kitchen and headed back upstairs to her bedroom.

“Maybe I should go and look for him?” Belle muttered.

“Babe” Aden sighed. “Look, he’s seventeen ...”

“And still our son, Aden” Belle growled, knowing where the conversation was heading, interrupting him.

Aden nodded in agreement. “I know” he whispered. “If it’ll make you feel better, I’ll give him a call, okay?”

Belle nodded as Aden took his phone out of his pocket and scrolled down to Jayden’s number. After a moment of complete silence, Aden spoke, “Jayden, as soon as you get this, call me.”

“Voicemail?” Belle asked as Aden nodded.

“Look, you sit down and relax” Aden began, holding a finger up to stop Belle from protesting, “and I’ll finish off with dinner and everything, okay?” he said, gesturing at the meal in the oven. “Okay?” he repeated when there was no acknowledgement.

“Okay” Belle smiled reluctantly at her husband.

Another two hours later, Belle, Aden, Danielle, Tyler, Olivia and Lilly sat down to their home-cooked meal, discussing the day they had at school.

“And Mr Dean said I did really, really well with my writing today” Lilly finished.

“Did he babes?” Belle asked. “How about you show it to me after dinner?” she suggested as Lilly nodded. “Danni? How was your day?”

Danielle scoffed. “I got put into detention.”

“What?!” both Aden and Belle exclaimed at the same time.

“You heard” she told them rudely, leaning back on her chair and folding her arms across her chest. “Louise started picking on me and laughed at me because I wasn’t allowed to go to the party. Everyone else had a good time, mum! So I slapped her and got put into detention for it. But you know what, it’s your fault. You let Jayden go, but not me!” she screeched.

“Danielle Emma Jefferies!” Aden warned as he realised that an argument between mother and daughter was about to erupt.

“No dad, I think she needs to hear this, and you as well. Why do you always take her side? I wasn’t allowed to go because I’m fifteen and there would be alcohol! Jayden can’t legally drink! Why was he allowed to go?”

“Because he’s sensible and we knew he’d be safe” Aden told his daughter firmly.

“I would have been safe too!” Danielle exclaimed.

“So you wouldn’t have got drunk?” Belle asked as she glared at her daughter.

“Yes, I probably would have done. Because getting drunk to forget everything, especially you, is worth the risk.”

“Do you know the sort of people there are in the world, Danni?” Belle suddenly yelled, standing up from the table. “Do you know what goes through some people’s minds when they know they can take advantage of someone? Not all people are gonna try and help you get home when you come out of a party completely legless!”

“Babe” Aden chimed in, standing up and taking his wife’s hand. “Don’t do this” he whispered quietly, not wanting her to reveal something she was going to regret. “Danni, you and Tyler can wash up for me and your mum” he told them calmly, before leading Belle upstairs to their bedroom.

Once they arrived into their bedroom, Aden led Belle to the bed, encouraging her to sit down on it as he knelt down in front of her.

“I’m sorry” she whispered after a moment, a tear spilling out of her eyes, as Aden reached towards Belle and wiped it away.

“It’s okay” he murmured. “I just didn’t want you to carry on and say something you were gonna regret.”

After another moment of silence, Belle spoke again. “If only she knew Aden, then she’d realise why I don’t want her out late at night, especially drunk.”

“I know babe. And I understand your point there too sweetheart but ...”

“You think I’m being too harsh, don’t you?”

“Maybe just a little, if all of her friends are going out to parties and she can’t ...”

Belle suddenly jumped up from the bed. “So now you don’t care if your daughter goes out to have a good time and then gets raped as she walks home drunk?” she screamed.

“Babe, no” Aden told her firmly, heading towards his wife who was leaning against the bedroom door.

“Don’t you understand, Aden? I would go through it over and over if it meant that nothing happened to any of our children.”

“I get that Belle, I really do, but maybe we should give her some space and some independence. I mean, we’ve got to the bottom of the fact that we trust her, just not other people, right?” he questioned as Belle nodded. “So then maybe we should show her that we trust her, okay?” he asked as Belle nodded.

“Okay” she whispered. “It’s just hard you know? Knowing that she could go through what I did ...”

FLASHBACK

“What if he comes back, Aden?” Belle whimpered as she held Danielle in her arms. “What if he comes back to hurt me or you, or ...”

“I won’t let him!” Aden warned instantly.

“You can’t protect me all the time, Aden.”

“I can, if it means that you, Jayden and Danielle are safe, okay? I won’t let him come anywhere near you.”

Belle stood up and placed Danielle in the cot at the end of their bed. It was the middle of the night and the couple had been awoken by the small cries that emitted from the crib. After ensuring the baby girls was tucked comfortably in her crib, Belle climbed back onto the bed, cross legged above the sheets as Aden lay, propped up by the pillows taking in her appearance.

“I’m scared, Aden.”

“Baby” Aden breathed. “Come here” he whispered, encouraging Belle to recoil into him, placing her head onto his chest as she heard his pounding heart beneath his toned, muscular chest. “It’s only been 3 years. Of course you’re going to be scared. It never goes away sweetheart. What he did to you was unforgiveable and vile and you have every right to be scared.”

“You don’t think I’m weak?” she asked.

“I could never think that Belle. I still think about my grandfather and what he did to me. That doesn’t make me a bad person and for you to think about Angelo and to be scared of him, I think that makes you strong because you’re admitting your true feelings. That takes a lot for a person to do babe.”

“I just want to be able to protect our children, Aden. To make sure that they are safe and that nothing ever happens to them. They need to be kept safe. They need to have security and we need to give it to them. But I’m scared about Angelo and what he did to me, I’m scared that he’s going to come back and hurt me, or you or the children and I’m scared that I’m going to fail as a mother. What if I can’t protect our children?”

“I know you can, sweetheart. I know that you would go through complete hell to keep our children safe ... I wouldn’t let you take that risk” he added, making the conversation slightly more light hearted. “You’re the most strongest, most beautiful girl ever, you’re my girl, my wife. My Belle” he whispered as Belle closed her eyes tightly shut, her breathing soft, signalling that she was a sleep. “My Belle” Aden repeated once again, pulling the quilt over his wife to keep her warm. “I’ll always love you.”

END FLASHBACK

“Come here” Aden encouraged as he approached her, his arms catching her as she fell into them, her head against his chest as he kept one arm around her waist and his hand stroking her hair.

Belle sniffled before speaking. “Maybe we should go downstairs” she said as Aden nodded.

Within minutes, the couple arrived downstairs to find the place practically empty, only Danielle leaning against the kitchen side.

“Mum, look, I’m sorry, I just ...”

“Hey, it’s okay. You have nothing to be sorry for. I guess I have been a bit strict with how I’ve brought you up but me and your dad, we’ve been talking ...” she trailed off, before leading Danielle into the living room and sitting on the sofa, explaining the situation to her, being careful not to mention her own experiences.

After another twenty minutes, Danielle nodded and agreed that she would be careful. “Mum, you just have to trust me. And look, what I said ... I didn’t mean it, honestly, I swear. I love you, mum.”

“And I love you too. And I do trust you Danni, it’s just other people I don’t trust. I don’t want to see you get hurt.”

Soon after, Danielle headed back upstairs to her bedroom to complete homework, leaving only Aden and Belle downstairs. “Happy?” Belle asked her husband with a sigh.

“Nope. I’m proud, babe” he told her, sitting next to her and taking her hand in his own. “It just took time for you to realise that you can’t protect her from everything. God, I wish I could but one day, she’s gonna have her heart broken and they’ll be nothing we can do but support her through it.”

As soon as Aden finished his sentence, the couple emitted a gasp as they looked at the figure standing in the doorway.

“Jayden? Oh my God” Belle cried as she headed towards her son and hovered her hand over the cut on her son’s eyebrow. “What happened?” she asked worriedly.

“It’s nothing” he told her.

“It doesn’t look like nothing, son” Aden told him as he too approached him, standing behind his wife. “Who was it?”

Jayden shrugged.

“I take it you’ve been to the hospital then?” Aden asked, noticing the cut was stitched up.

Jayden nodded. “Yeah, I’ve been to the hospital.”

“So I’m pretty sure I can access your medical records if you decide not to tell either of us what’s happened?”

“Dad, please, just ... look, it was an accident ... God, you’re gonna kill me” he muttered, trailing off.

“Yeah, well let us be the judge of that. Come and sit down” Belle encouraged.

Jayden headed towards the sofa, sitting down comfortably. He slowly explained the story of when he left the party, informing them of the young girl who was in trouble and then of course mentioning the fight.

“Jayden” Belle sighed, having tensed up when he had mentioned the girl being attacked, yet Aden, who sat next to her, had wrapped his arm around her waist for support.

“Look, that’s not all, okay? This is the part where you kill me but the doctor said I had to tell you. And even if I don’t, dad, it’s gonna be on my notes so you’ll find out anyway. I ... I took ... oh God” he sighed, burying his face in his hands. “I took cocaine” he muttered.

“Oh my God” Belle muttered as Aden swore.

“Sh*t” he breathed. “Why, Jayden? Are you that stupid? You know that this stuff can kill you!”

“I know, dad but all my friends were doing it and they pressured me ... look, I know it was wrong but I swear, I won’t do it again. Mum?” The teenager looked towards his mother for support.

Belle shook her head.

“Are you angry?” Jayden dared to ask his mother.

Once again, Belle shook her head before she spoke. “No” she breathed. “I’m not angry. I’m hurt and disappointed, especially that you didn’t come and tell us sooner, but I’m not angry.”

“You know” Aden began, throwing his hands up in the air, “this night couldn’t end any sooner. Just go upstairs Jayden and me and you can talk tomorrow, okay?” he questioned as Jayden nodded and followed his father’s command.

amazing chapter Carina... Poor Belle not wanting her kids to go through what she did is really brave... i loved every second of it.

I thought Belle was gunna slip with that fight but luckily Aden stopped her before anything major was said!

Am glad Jayden told them the truth! wonder whats going to happen next! update soon :)

• 2 weeks later...

CHAPTER THREE

A groan escaped Aden’s lips as the alarm signalled 6.30am, time to start getting up and ready to go to work. His heart broke as he unwrapped his legs from around his wife’s, pressing a kiss to the back of her neck, before rolling over from his side to his back, taking in a deep breath as he rubbed his face with his hand.

“Don’t go, baby” Belle suddenly murmured. “5 minutes?” she suggested.

Aden let out a breathy laugh. “I’ve got to be at the hospital in another hour sweetheart. I’ve got to get up now” he groaned, finally throwing his legs out of the bed and heading into the bathroom, dressed in only his boxers.

It had finally reached Friday morning, the atmosphere in the house having improved. Danielle was given permission to attend the party that was being held that night and Jayden was grounded for a fortnight, although both Belle and Aden had seemed to forgiven him and let him off on a relatively fair sentence. Lilly and Olivia had experienced no troubles in that week, with Olivia being at home under Belle’s care most days, with the exception of two days a week when she went to nursery, allowing Belle to work for some extra money. Tyler and Lilly were to attend sleepovers, leaving Belle, Aden, Jayden and Olivia in the house together that night.

After fifteen minutes, Aden entered his bedroom once again, this time, a towel wrapped delicately around his waist, his toned abdomen on show. “Babe” he whispered, Belle clearly having fallen back to sleep. He stroked her hair and whispered in her ear. “You need to get up now sweetheart.”

Belle groaned. “Why?” she murmured as Aden let out a breathy laugh.

“You have to take Lilly to school” he told her. “And Olivia’s got nursery today ... it’s Friday.”

Their routine was basic and simple, regardless of the fact that they had five children. Aden would drop Jayden, Danielle and Tyler off at Summer Bay High whilst Belle took Lilly to school and Olivia, either to the nursery or would bring her back home and look after her.

Belle nodded slightly, squinting as she opened her eyes. She climbed out of bed and headed towards the bathroom to get herself ready. Locking the door behind her, Belle pulled out the shampoo and conditioner from the bathroom cabinet and jumped into the shower, washing her hair and her body, before finally finishing and wrapping a towel seductively around her body.

Heading into her bedroom again, she closed the door behind her to find Aden sat on the bed, pulling on his shoes.

“Thank God it’s Friday” Belle groaned. “Is it me or does it seem to have taken forever to get here?”

Aden laughed. “Well, I’m not surprised after the week we’ve had. Hectic hey? Who would have thought Jayden could have been so stupid?” he spoke rhetorically, instantly thinking back to when Jayden was born and just how perfect he really was.

FLASHBACK

He ran through the hospital doors frantically, having just returned home from the trawler. He knew he wanted to have a degree and become a doctor but that time wasn’t yet. He had to earn money for his family and support them, but he knew that one day, he would be able to achieve his dream.

He looked at the signs, everything becoming a blur until he made out the word ‘MATERNITY WARD.’ Sprinting through the hospital to the maternity ward, he came to a halt as he searched the room number that Belle was in, Irene having texted him.

“Aden, love!” a familiar voice screeched.

“Irene” Aden panted. “Where is she?”

Irene pointed at the room that Belle was in. “Oh love, you need to be with her. You didn’t see the amount of pain she was in ...” she trailed off, terrified for her foster daughter’s health after what Rachel had told her. “They need to do an emergency caesarean” she spoke through her tears.

“Sh*t” Aden muttered underneath his breath before turning his attention to the figure that just appeared out of the room Belle was in. “Rachel” he breathed. “What’s going on?”

“Aden, we need to perform a caesarean section. The baby’s in distress at the moment, as is Belle and we need to get it out of her as soon as possible, okay?” she told him.

“Can I ...” Aden trailed off, a lump catching in his throat as Rachel nodded, tears threatening to pool in her eyes as well.

Both Aden and Rachel entered through the door into the delivery room, Aden’s heart instantly shattering into millions of tiny pieces as he saw the machines, hearing them whirring and buzzing, drips inserted into his wife’s body pumping unknown substances into her. Her body was limp and weak and as she turned her head to face him, he could tell just how sick she was. Her face was drained of all colour, not a good sign after being in labour for at least an hour. He headed towards Belle and leant over her slightly, cupping her face in his hands. “It’s gonna be okay” he told her, although he didn’t know if he was telling her the truth or not.

Tears stained her cheeks but she didn’t utter a word. She offered Aden a slight smile regardless of the amount of pain she was experiencing, shooting through her abdomen. She was scared, terrified. Aden knew her only too well to notice that she was expressing her emotions through her eyes. There was no sparkle there, no happiness and no joy. It wasn’t supposed to be this way, it was their first baby. It should have been a happy moment. He always knew he would be worried about Belle being in pain, unsure how to comfort her or make anything better for her but at least she would have been in a better position than she was now.

After what seemed a lifetime, the baby was suddenly wrapped inside the midwife’s arms, small gurgles emitting from its tiny body. The midwife took the baby to the counter, wrapping it in a blue blanket, a smile suddenly forming on Aden and Belle’s lips.

“Congratulations guys. You have a beautiful, healthy baby boy” Rachel told them, taking the baby from the midwife after he had been fully checked over, handing him over to Aden who held his son for the first time in his arms.

“He’s ... beautiful” Aden whispered as his wife let out a shaky breath, the procedure finally coming to an end. Aden held the baby boy in one arm and held Belle’s hand with his free one. “You’re beautiful. Thank you, Belle. Thank you so much for giving me this baby, sweetheart” he told Belle as she attempted to sit up, propped up against the pillows with the help of Rachel.

The doctors soon exited the room, leaving Belle and Aden to bond with their son for a few minutes.

“Here” Aden breathed, handing their son to his wife as she opened her arms and willingly took hold of him, cuddling him and cradling him in her arms as Aden perched himself on the edge of the bed, stroking Belle’s face gently.

“Are we going to stick with the name we wanted?” Belle asked quietly after pressing a kiss to her son’s head.

Aden nodded. “Yeah, I think it’s a great name and we both decided it together. Are you still happy with the name?”

“Yeah, I am.”

“Good” he murmured, looking down at his son. “Welcome to the world Jayden Kyle Jefferies.”

END FLASHBACK

“You can say that again” Belle said quietly, pulling on her underwear, struggling to do so as she kept the towel wrapped around her body. Finally, after pulling on her lacy underwear with a matching bra, she lowered the towel to the ground, Aden’s eyes suddenly shooting up to his wife’s body.

“Wow” he breathed. “Erm ... fancy doing something tonight?” he asked.

"Yeah?” Belle asked, raising an eyebrow. “What did you have in mind?” she asked seductively, heading towards Aden and sitting on his knee, wrapping her arms around his neck as his snaked around her waist, holding her gently in position.

“Well, there are a few things” he whispered, eyeing her body seductively.

“Mmm” Belle moaned as she kissed Aden’s plush lips passionately. “I bet there are” she told him, pulling away. “You know, we haven’t actually ever attempted a game at doctors and nurses, have we?” Belle suggested.

“Belle!” Aden scolded. “You know what we agreed when I became a doctor.”

“Actually, what you agreed” Belle told firmly, although not angry at him. “You said that our making love was still an act of passion and love for each other and that incorporating fantasies could completely change that.”

“Yep. I said that for a reason, Belle. You know why” he told her gently.

Belle nodded. “I know. But I trust you, Aden. You know that, don’t you?”

Aden nodded. “Of course I do, but I never want to pressure you. Why, what’s wrong? Do you think our sex life is suddenly deteriorating or something?” Aden asked worriedly.

“Absolutely not” Belle smiled. “You still pleasure me and it’s perfect. You make me feel special and unique and like it’s just us two in the world when we make love. I love you, Aden Jefferies.”

“Good. And I love you too baby, always” he muttered as he kissed her. “Always and forever. But for now, maybe ... you should ... get ready ... and I can ... go to work” Aden spoke between each kiss. “The sooner I leave, the quicker I get back” he winked at his wife who stood up and pulled on a pair of skinny jeans and then a white t-shirt.

“See you tonight” she smiled as her husband pressed another quick kiss to her lips before pulling away, heading downstairs to have breakfast.

By 3.3Opm, all the children and Belle arrived home, Aden still working at the hospital.

“Jayden, I need you to drop off Tyler and Lilly for me. Their bags are packed and upstairs ... do you mind?” she asked, raising an eyebrow knowingly. He didn’t have a say in the matter since he was grounded.

“Sure” he replied, taking a seat on the sofa and waiting for his brother and sister to get ready to go to their sleepover.

Within half an hour of returning home, Danielle jumped down the stairs and ran into the kitchen towards her mother who was raiding the fridge for ingredients of something to cook for dinner.

“Mum, I’m off now, okay? I’ll be back for 1Opm. Is that okay?” she asked. She had instantly regretted the argument she had with her mum a few nights ago. She had taken it out on her mother for no reason, only for having a genuinely bad day.

Belle nodded. “Yeah, sure. And remember, only one glass of alcohol please” she told her daughter.

“I won’t get drunk mum, I promise. And Sarah’s mum is dropping me off home as well, okay? So I don’t need you or dad to collect me or whatever.”

Once again, Belle nodded and smiled. “You look nice, darling” she told Danielle as she observed her outfit; a pair of skinny jeans and a yellow tank top.

“Thank you. Mum ... I love you” Danielle whispered.

“I love you too” Belle told her, pulling Danielle into a hug. “Now you stay safe and if you need me, or your dad, phone us.”

“I will. And please, just trust me, okay?”

With that, Danielle left and headed to the party, leaving Belle at home with Olivia, Jayden taking Tyler and Lilly to two different houses for their sleepovers.

“Just me and you now Livvie” Belle sighed as her daughter crawled onto her lap.

“Mama” the baby girl whispered.

“Where’s your daddy, hey? Why isn’t he here, sweetheart? He should be finished by now.”

“Dada?” Olivia questioned in her usual babble talk. “Dad no here” she muttered looking around the room.

“Come on then” Belle groaned, picking up her daughter and placing her on her hip, carrying her and putting her in the playpen in the corner of the room. “Did you make this at nursery?” Belle asked in surprise, smiling at her daughter as she sat with her, holding up a painting of different colours mixed together. Olivia smiled and clapped her hands together. “It’s beautiful. Just like you my baby girl.”

“Mama play” the little girl demanded as Belle let out a laugh and picked up the farm animal set and put them into position, moving them about. “That’s a horse, can you say that for me baby girl?”

“Orse” Olivia tried to repeat.

“Someone’s a clever girl” Belle murmured, smiling at her daughter. She stood up and began to clear away some of the things in the playpen that were not being used before her daughter began to speak again.

“Mama no tidy up. Mama play with Livvie. Mama play with baby girl” she repeated some of Belle’s words.

“But mama needs to tidy up and start cooking dinner babes. Daddy and Jayden will be home soon and they need to eat dinner.”

“Dada and Ayden need dinner” the little girl muttered, clearly still unable to pronounce the phonemes correctly, missing the ‘J’ of off her brother’s first name.

“That’s right babes” Belle murmured, stepping out of the playpen and heading into the kitchen, stopping in her tracks as Jayden pounded through the front door to the kitchen.

“Jayden? What’s wrong?”

The teenager stopped and rested his hands on his knees, breathing heavily as he attempted to catch his breath. His cheeks were puffy and red and tears were forming in his eyes. “Nana Amanda” he panted, “hospital, car accident.” His words formed together slowly, registering twice as slowly in Belle’s mind before she put the pieces of the jigsaw together. “Dad told me ... to get you ... you need to go to the hospital ...” he paused for breath once again.

“Jayden, look after your sister” Belle muttered, picking up her mobile phone and keys and running outside to her car. Jumping in it, she started the ignition and drove as quickly as possible to the hospital.

Once she arrived, she entered the familiar building, a female heading towards her.

“Belle” she called out.

“Rachel” Belle suddenly cried as she ran towards the woman who held out her arms, Belle resting her hands on them for support. “Where’s my mum?” she asked.

“Belle, you need to understand that ...”

“Rachel, I need to see her!” Belle interrupted in a breathless cry, having ran from the car park and into the hospital.

Rachel nodded and began leading Belle towards the unit where Amanda was being treated. A slight whimper escaped Belle’s lips when they reached the Intensive Care Ward, entering through the double doors.

Her eyes wandered round the ward, setting her sights on her husband who was sat in his white doctor’s coat with his head in his hands. Irene was there too, having been called yet first to arrive, before Belle.

“Babe” Aden breathed as soon as the door slammed shut, his attention instantly focussed on his wife. He stood up and headed towards her, Belle collapsing into his arms as he held her tightly, wrapping one arm around her waist whilst the other hand stroked her hair. She burst into a series of sobs, sniffling and pushing herself into his chest as much as possible.

Irene’s heart broke as she observed her foster daughter. Everyone but Belle knew the situation at the moment and Irene knew that when Belle found out what was going to happen, she would be in an even more fragile state.

Peter was sat inside the hospital room with Amanda, holding her hand as she lay there, limp and unconscious. An oxygen mask was covering her mouth and nose and she was on a life support machine; always a bad sign. But he had come to his decision. He and Amanda had always discussed situations like this and it was only fair to respect her decision over what he would normally choose for himself. He made vows to her, to respect her and love her and he was going to follow them.

After ten minutes, Belle muttered into Aden’s chest, only audible to him. “How is she?” she asked.

“Come and sit down” he encouraged, dropping his hands from her head and her waist and taking her hand in his own, leading her to a small, empty waiting room, away from the audience of people who had just observed the couple. Aden sighed, holding Belle’s hand as they sat on the comfortable sofa. “The next 24 hours are critical” he murmured. This was one of the worst things about being a doctor. He hated saying it to other people. He had had to deal with many people being in situations, yet he never allowed himself to get so attached to his patients. He rarely needed to treat his family, only provided a prescription for them if they needed medication, yet he had never had to do this with a close relative. “Anything could happen at this stage” he told his wife, who stared blankly at the white painted wall ahead of her, tears still trickling down her face.

She didn’t stop Aden from raising his thumb to wipe them away; she didn’t stop him from tightening his grip on her hand. “She could die” Belle murmured quietly.

Aden nodded. “Yeah” he breathed. A sudden shiver travelled down Belle’s spine and once again, she began to sob. Aden instantly wrapped his arms around her, allowing her to cry into his chest. “Shhh” he muttered, hoping to calm her down, although his attempt to do so, failing. “It’s okay. It’s going to be okay” he murmured.

“Help her, Aden, please” Belle begged.

He wanted to make this situation easy on Belle. He didn’t want to see her hurting. His job was to protect her and their children, he loved them so much and anything that could be physically or emotionally hurting his family literally killed him. It was like a piece of his heart was ripped out as he watched Belle begging him, tears flowing endlessly down her cheeks. He didn’t know how to tell her that it would be better if her other was dead, rather than suffer permanent brain damage that would affect her everyday life. He didn’t know how to tell her that Peter, her next of kin, had already made a decision for her. “Babe” he muttered. “We can’t do anything that will make her get better. There’s a 95% chance that she’ll have permanent brain damage and nobody can cure that. You know what we have to do” he told her.

WOW!!

Seriously good job!!

The begining was so sweet and fluffy but then the ending...didn't see that coming! Poor Amanda although, if i'm honest i was a teeny bit relieved when Jayden said it was her that had been hurt! For a second i was thinking something had happened to Aden!!!

Feel so :( for belle but at least she has Aden to help her through.

Lok forward to more :D

CHAPTER FOUR

“No” Belle breathed in a murmur, pulling out of Aden’s grasp and heading towards the wall opposite her husband, turning to face him as she leant against it. “You can’t” Belle told him, knowing what he was suggesting they do. “I won’t let you” she cried firmly.

“Babe, please” Aden moaned. He knew this was hurting her and that was the last thing he ever wanted to do to his wife but he knew the consequences of brain damage and he didn’t want Amanda living like that. “Peter’s already made the decision.”

“Without consulting me?” Belle screamed. “How could he?! He had no right!”

“Belle” Aden began as he approached his wife.

“No, stay the hell away from me Aden! How could you do this to me?! You all discussed this without me?”

Aden shook his head. “Peter’s her next of kin. It’s what he wants and we have to respect his wishes now.”

“And what about what I want Aden? She’s my mum! Do I not matter?” she asked bitterly.

“Sweetheart, of course you matter but you need to understand that turning off the life support machine would ...”

“Kill my mum?” Belle spoke sarcastically.

“I know it’s hard sweetheart.”

“Do you, Aden? Do you really know what it feels like to have lost a parent?” she spat, before realising her mistake. “God, Aden, I didn’t mean that.”

Aden stood silently on the spot for a few moments. He wasn’t angry at Belle but was instead, angry at himself for having not discussed this with her. He understood why she felt so betrayed and knew that he would feel the same if he were in a similar position. He pinched the bridge of his nose, taking in a deep breath. He opened his mouth to speak but was interrupted by the wooden door which opened, a female figure entering.

“Guys, I’m really sorry to disturb you at this moment” Rachel apologised genuinely, “but Belle, I’m afraid you need to come and see your mother before ...” she trailed off knowingly, realising Belle wouldn’t have accepted the news Aden just had to break to her, sensing the atmosphere between them, the tension in the room.

Belle nodded, looking at Rachel. “Okay” she muttered, following her out of the room. She held the door open and took one last look at Aden before speaking to him. “Are you coming?” she asked delicately.

Aden nodded his head, following his wife towards the hospital room where Amanda was. Belle let him take her hand in his, circling his thumb on the palm of her hand gently in an attempt to soothe her, although he knew the problem couldn’t be solved as simply as this.

Finally, the couple reached the hospital doors, Peter standing outside whilst he gave Belle the opportunity to say goodbye to her mother. The smell of disinfectant continued to linger in the air. Aden placed a hand on Belle’s back, encouraging her to enter through to the room where Amanda had been admitted. It seemed so surreal to Belle. She didn’t think it would be so soon that she would be here saying goodbye to her mother. She expected it to be when she was a lot older. She still had so many more years left with Peter, happy. But now, it was all going to be taken away from the couple within a second, the switch of the monitor that was keeping her alive at the moment.

Belle stopped in her tracks, gaping at her mother. A tube was inserted into her mouth, providing her with ... Belle didn’t know what the equipment was used for, this wasn’t her expertise, but did it make a difference as she looked at her practically lifeless mother? “The kids?” she suddenly asked.

“Belle ...” Aden began.

“They need to say goodbye too, Aden” Belle choked out, a lump forming in her throat.

“I know, sweetheart, I know. But do you really think they should remember her like this babe?”

Belle shrugged. “I guess not” she whispered, approaching her mother and sitting on the grey plastic chair beside the bed, Aden standing behind her as he rested his hands on her shoulders, lightly applying pressure to show and offer his support. “Can she hear me?” Belle asked as a tear rolled down her cheek.

Aden shrugged, although he wasn’t sure why seeing as he was not in Belle’s view. “Some people feel as though they can be heard, yes. Talk to her” he encouraged after a moment.

Belle gulped, the lump in her throat forming, feeling as though it was enlarging massively inside of her, ready to burst and explode. “What do I say?” she asked after a moment, reaching across to take her mother’s hand in her own. She stroked it, the feeling of the wedding ring around her finger making her realise just how difficult the decision must have been for Peter to make too. An instant rush of guilt flowed through her veins as she remembered everything she had either said or thought about him, recognising that she was wrong. “God, Aden, why is it so hard?” she asked, feeling both embarrassed and ashamed, not knowing what to say to her mother.

Was it because she didn’t know what to say? Was it because her mother wasn’t actually her ‘mother’ at this moment? Was it because it really meant she had to let go? Was it because she couldn’t form the words to say, making everything too realistic for her? Belle didn’t know the reason, everything had just become a blur, like everything was surreal and in any moment, she would awake in Aden’s arms tightly wrapped around her petite frame. But it wasn’t going to happen.

“Baby, you don’t have to say anything” Aden whispered. “Do you want me to leave?” he asked delicately as Belle’s reply was an instant shake of the head.

“No. I want you to stay.”

Aden nodded slowly, edging his way next to the seat and kneeling down beside his wife, resting his hand gently on her knee. Belle gratefully accepted his comfort, placing her hand over his in a way to thank him. “Tell her how you feel, that you love her” Aden told her softly.

“She knows” Belle whispered as another tear rolled down her cheek, Aden raising his hand to gently wipe it away from her face. “She knows that I love her” Belle repeated.

FLASHBACK

“Mum?” Belle asked shyly and timidly as she knocked on the front door which was ajar. She rarely saw her mother. Their relationship had got better since Belle had been raped by Angelo. Her mother had helped to look after her, had attended her and Aden’s wedding and had seen them a few times, but they still didn’t know each other like a proper mother and daughter should have done.

She entered the house, uninvited, observing the features as she looked around the room. Aden had offered to come with her but she wanted to do this alone, scared of how her mother would react. That was why Aden had wanted to attend in the first place. If Amanda had flipped, then Aden would have been there to protect Belle, to calm her down and look after her but he respected Belle’s wishes and allowed her to do this on her own.

“Mum?” Belle repeated in question before the sound of footsteps could be heard walking down the stairs at a steady pace, greeted by Amanda’s voice.

“Belle, darling, I wasn’t expecting you” she spoke, her tone excited as she approached her daughter, wrapping her arms around her petite frame. “Come and sit down” she said, pulling away from Belle and leading her towards the cream leather sofa in the middle of the living room, the colour complimented by the pink flowers that stood in the glass vase on the coffee table. “So, how are you and Aden? Still enjoying married life?” she asked her.

It had only been two weeks since Aden and Belle had returned from their honeymoon and Belle was preparing to drop the bombshell on her mother. She nodded and smiled before speaking, words seeming to have lost her beforehand. “Yeah, it’s good, great in fact. We’ve been getting on great.” She paused for a moment, not sure how to approach the subject. She didn’t even know, deep down, how she felt about it herself. She was happy, of course she was happy. Besides her wedding day, it was the happiest day of her life but she couldn’t help but feel scared. Aden had reassured her that it was natural and that she wasn’t alone in having those emotions, but it still scared her.

She could feel the bile rise in her throat as she began to speak again. “Look, mum, there’s ... there’s something I have to tell you” she began, a nauseas feeling suddenly overwhelming her.

“Sweetheart?” he mother asked. “Is something wrong?” she began to panic, although her tone continued to remain sweet, not wanting to scare her daughter off once again. She had only just started to repair the relationship she had with Belle and she didn’t want to ruin it by saying a single stupid, regrettable thing.

Belle shrugged. “I don’t really know how you’re going to take it to be honest” she whispered as she began to pick at her nails. Taking in a deep breath, she opened her mouth to say the words, at the same time as closing her eyes. She knew that the next two words would leave her mother either disappointed or happy, and she was hoping that the emotion would be a positive one. “I’m pregnant” she blurted out.

For a split second, Belle feared that there would be screaming and shouting emitting from her mother, yet nothing came. She slowly opened her eyes, to find her mother sat next to her, a smile formed across her face, yet tears pooling in her eyes. “Mum?” she questioned slowly.

“I’m going to be a nanny?” she asked gently in a surprised voice.

Belle nodded, a smile forming on her lips as she finally accepted her mother’s true emotions, recognising that she really was happy.

“Really? Nanny? Oh Belle!” Amanda squealed in delight. “I’m going to be a nanny ... and Peter? He’s ... he’s going to be a granddad? Oh my! I have ... have to phone h-him ... tell him t-that ... oh sweetheart!” she cried once again, pulling Belle into her and hugging her, holding her tightly. “You’re pregnant?! Wow!” After calming down, she spoke again. “It didn’t take you and Aden long did it?” she asked with a cheeky smile.

Belle shrugged shyly. “I’m four weeks” she told her with a smile.

“A honeymoon baby” Amanda whispered knowingly as Belle nodded with a smile.

“Yeah. But we don’t want anyone else to know until three months, okay? We don’t want to jinx anything” Belle told her mother.

“Oh sweetheart, I won’t say a word. My lips are sealed!” she told her daughter. “Belle ...” she approached her gently. “I love you, darling.”

Belle smiled at her mother before speaking. “I love you too.”

END FLASHBACK

Belle wiped away the tears that were flowing freely from her eyes and down her cheeks as she thought back to the moment when she told her mother that she was pregnant, another painful memory she had to think about.

“I just wish we knew each other even longer” Belle whimpered.

Aden tenderly stroked Belle’s back. “I know, sweetheart, but she’ll always be looking down on you” he supported her through her time of need.

The couple were disturbed as the door to the room opened and Rachel entered, Peter following closely behind. “Belle, you need to say goodbye now” she instructed softly as she nodded at Aden.

Belle looked at Rachel and nodded, before standing up and towering over her unconscious mother. “I love you mum” she whispered, pressing a kiss to her forehead. “I love you” she repeated, before the tears that had previously fallen from her eyes were replaced and sniffles emitted from her body. Aden gently placed his hands on his wife’s hips, gently pulling her away as Peter approached his own wife and held her hand, clasping it as though he was a baby.

Sobs escaped Belle’s lips as Aden had pulled her to the end of the bed, his arms wrapped tightly around her waist in order to prevent her from approaching anyone else at this moment, knowing what his wife was like, especially in her current fragile state. He whispered sweet nothings into her ear as she sniffled and sobbed.

As Peter kissed Amanda’s hand, tears escaping from his eyes and Rachel’s hand coming to rest on the switch, Belle sobbed louder and began to fight against Aden’s tight grip. “No, Rachel! Please! Don’t!” she yelled as Aden pulled her back further from her mother and away from the bed.

Rachel could feel tears stinging at her own eyes, but she had to do this. This wasn’t Belle’s decision. It was Peter’s. It wasn’t a job she liked doing, especially when it meant doing this to her own friends. But Peter had made his decision and she had to respect that and stand by his decision. Rachel looked towards Aden who nodded, tightening his hold on Belle even more so.

Everything that happened next seemed to be a blur to Belle, surreal, as though it was a nightmare and she would awake in any moment. But this wasn’t a nightmare, this was reality.

Rachel gently flicked the switch the other way, Peter burying his face in the hospital bed sheets, the beeping and whirring of machines stopping as they had failed to do their job.

Belle’s knees buckled beneath her and she collapsed to the floor, Aden gently holding her and supporting her until he lowered her to the floor, rocking her softly as he pulled her onto his lap, whispering into her ear. He provided her with reassurances as she clasped to Aden, grasping his shirt and burying her head into him as though it would somehow ease her pain, sobbing into him as he placed one hand around her waist whilst one wrapped around her stomach, rocking her back and forth.

Aden knew it would take much more than soothing Belle and comforting her before she came to terms with her mother’s death, but for now, she needed his comfort and he was going to be there for her.

Archived