Lullabye

Guest bradyell

Story Title: - Lullabye

Type of story: Long fic

Main Characters: Aden and Usual regulars plus a brand new OC

BTTB rating: T/A (just to be on the safe side)

Genre: Drama.

Does story include spoilers: No

Any warnings: none yet

Summary: - After his wife's death Aden has to face parenthood alone.

Hope you guys enjoy this, if not you can blame Naomi :lol: It was all her idea :wink: I know she loves it though!

Aden let out a deep sigh as he ran his hand through his hair and looked at his watch for the tenth time in as many minutes. The small hand marking the passing of minutes hadn’t moved nearly as far as he had expected. It felt as if he’d been sat on the hard plastic chair for hours. He tried to focus, tried to clear his mind of the images that had haunted his mind for the past….he looked at his watch again…thirty minutes.

Thirty minutes since his wife had been wheeled away from him towards the operating theatre. It was that image that ran through his head over and over, the sight of her being pushed away from him. Her hand dropping back onto the bed as he let it go when she was moved out of his reach. To add a bit of variety to his thoughts he kept thinking back to the earlier parts of the day too. Belle’s cries of pain and the look of distress in her eyes that he could do nothing to alleviate.

No matter how hard he tried Aden couldn’t clear his mind of these thoughts and with every passing moment the feeling of helplessness that was swamping him intensified.

He wasn’t alone in his wait for news. Irene, Roman, Nicole and Geoff all sat in chairs surrounding his. They each offered words of reassurance and comfort but none had received anything more than a murmur in response.

He was just about to glance at his watch again when a flash of movement at the end of the corridor caught his eye. He was on his feet and speeding towards the opening door before the person coming to deliver the news was through them.

“Mr Jefferies?”

“Yeah. Belle? How is she? Is she ok? Can I see her? Where’s Rachel? What about the baby? Oh god, the baby!” Aden fired the questions at the nurse without a breath.

“Mr Jefferies, Doctor Holden is with your wife, she asked me to come and let you know about your daughter.”

“Daughter! We have a….it’s a girl? We have a daughter?”

“Yes you do, congratulations.”

“Is….is she ok? Where is she? Can I see her?”

Aden had never experienced such a range of emotions in such a short time. The fact that Belle wasn’t at his side as he finally heard the words they had been waiting for the past nine months tore at his heart but he couldn’t even try to hide his joy and delight at hearing the news that he had a daughter.

“She’s fine...” The nurse explained “…we’re just having her checked over by a paediatrician to be on the safe side but everything seems to be ok. You’ll be able to see her soon.”

“ok, good.” Aden shook his head slightly in an attempt to try and get his brain working again, the news that he was finally a father had floored him somewhat. “Belle? How’s she? Is she out of theatre yet? Can I see her?”

“As I said Mr Jefferies, Doctor Holden is still with your wife, she’ll be out as soon as possible to let you know what’s going on.”

“Going on? What do you mean going on? She’s still in theatre? Has something happened? Were there more complications?”

“I’m sorry Mr Jefferies I don’t know anything else.” The nurse explained timidly “You’ll just have to wait for the doctor. Now If you’ll excuse me..”

“The baby?” Aden called before she had chance to leave.

“We’ll bring her to you as soon as we can.”

“I still can’t believe you are a daddy!” Nicole exclaimed not for the first time as she squeezed Aden’s arm “And a girl too! It’s just…..it’s so exciting! I can’t wait to go shopping! Geoff you’re going to come with me because I’ll need you to carry everything. We have to get dresses and shoes and everything has to be pink! And….”

“Alright Nic, that’s enough!” Roman finally cut her off realising that Aden wasn’t paying a blind bit of notice to what she was saying. “Alright mate?” he asked reaching out to rest a hand on Aden’s shoulder.

“Huh?”

It had been fifteen minutes since the nurse had brought the news of his daughter’s arrival. Aden’s mind was in even more of a whirl as it had been previously as he waited to get his first glimpse of his precious little girl. A small smile came to his face as he realised how much he already loved her without even having laid eyes on her. The smile was short lived however when his thoughts as usual drifted back to Belle. He was sure that had everything been running smoothly then Rachel would have been out with news for him by now.

“I just asked if you were alright?” Roman repeated.

“Oh, I er…I…” He was spared having to answer when the door that he had been so focused on opened once more.

He leapt to his feet and hurried towards the doors once again only this time he froze in his tracks when his eyes caught sight of Rachel.

She had tears streaming down her cheeks that she wasn’t even trying to stem as she approached him.

“No!” he exclaimed backing away from her.

“Aden…I…I’m….”

“No!” he cried once more as his feet carried him backwards once more this time he was stopped when he came into contact with Roman who grabbed hold of his shoulders.

“Rach?” Roman managed to say past the lump in his throat.

“I’m so sorry..” Rachel cried “we…we did everything we could.”

“Belle’s…..”

“She’s gone”

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like you are all enjoying it so far :D hope that continues!

“She’s gone”

Those two small words were all it took to turn Aden’s life upside down, to bring him crashing to his knees as he gasped for breath.

He could feel Roman clinging to him to keep him upright. He could hear the cries of Irene and Nicole but they were nothing more than noise to him. It was as though he had fallen underwater, all the words becoming muffled, nothing making any kind of sense. He could hear his own heart pounding in his ears although that made no sense to him either - how can my heart beat when Belle’s isn’t.

Rachel was attempting to explain what had happened but try as he might he couldn’t focus on the words. He felt Roman tug on him, an obvious attempt to get him back to his feet and without much thought he complied. He had just gotten himself upright again when a movement at the door caused his head to snap up. The same nurse that had spoken to him earlier was walking through them a small pink bundle cradled delicately in her arms.

“No!” the cry came from him without warning, Rachel visibly jumping in surprise. “No take…I…..I don’t….”

“Aden, I think you should say hi at least.” Rachel encouraged taking the baby from the nurse.

“No, I just…..Belle, I want to see Belle.” His eyes travelled quickly around the hallway, never once settling on the blankets in Rachel’s arms.

“Aden mate..” Roman stepped forward and wrapped an arm around his shoulders “..I can’t imagine what you are feeling right now but this is your daughter, she wants to meet her daddy.”

“I said no!” Aden exclaimed. “She…Belle’s dead and it’s…it’s……I just want to see my wife.”

“Alright Aden.” Rachel looked up to Irene and gestured down to the baby in her arms. Irene instantly got what the doctor was getting at and came over to them, lifting the baby into her own arms as tears flowed freely down her cheeks.

He sat on a chair at the foot of the bed eyes transfixed on his wife. Belle had been laid out, her thick brown hair fanning across the pillow, a crisp white sheet covering her body. He hadn’t touched her yet, he’d wanted to, he’d even raised his hand until it was a hairs breadth away from her cheek but dropped it back to the bed at the last moment. She’ll be cold, Belle’s never cold.

She looked beautiful he thought, just as if she were sleeping. He loved to watch her sleep. As he sat there his mind began to wander, taking him back to one of the happiest times of his life.

Flashback

The buzzing of the alarm on his phone woke Aden from a deep sleep. He silenced it as quickly as he could, hoping that it hadn’t woken Belle. She was wrapped snuggly in his arms as she had been every day for the past two months since their wedding. Pulling back slightly he was relieved to see she remained blissfully unaware that he was about to leave her. This was the worst part of his day. Forget the crummy jobs at the bait shop, the cleaning dishes in the diner. Leaving his wife sleeping without him, that was the hardest thing he did every day.

He gently untangled his legs from hers and slowly slipped his arm from underneath her. After holding his breath for a moment to make sure she hadn’t woken her he leant over her and placed a tender kiss onto her cheek before climbing out of their bed and making his way into the shower.

Once he was ready he crouched down next to the bed and spent a full minute just gazing at the perfection in front of him, wondering as he did every day how it was possible that he had ended up married to someone as utterly perfect as she was. He brushed another kiss onto her cheek and after dropping a note onto the pillow next to her left for work.

Hey Sleeping beauty, you looked too peaceful to wake up! Meet me for breakie at the diner? 9ish? Drop me a txt to let me know .love you x x x x

_____

After almost three hours work Aden was more than ready for a break when he walked into the diner to meet Belle.

“Ah, just the man!” Irene exclaimed as soon as he was through the door.

“Can’t get enough of me eh Irene!” He teased as he made his way through the crowd of school kids still hanging around. “Shouldn’t these lot be in school?”

“Yes they should!” Irene threw a scowl at the crowd and Aden chuckled as they instantly dispersed. “Now, can you go and talk some sense into that wife of yours?”

“huh?” Aden looked confused as Irene directed a nod over his shoulder. He turned his head and now the crowd had thinned he spotted Belle sitting at a table her head buried in her hands. “what…?

Before Irene could answer he was already crouching next to his wife’s chair, a hand trailing tenderly down her back.

“Babe?”

“Hey, I didn’t know you were here already.” Belle said attempting to sit up straighter.

“I just got here, what’s up?”

“Nothing, I’m fine.” She tried to insist even as another wave of dizziness forced her to lower her head back into her hands.

“Yeah, you look fine sweetheart.” Aden teased, brushing a hand over her hair.

“I’m just….it’s probably something I ate or something, I’ll be fine in a little while.”

“You’ll be fine when you are at home in bed.” Aden said taking hold of her elbow.

“No, Aden please, I’m fine.”

“Belle, we can do this one of two ways, you behave, hold my hand and I’ll lead you out to the car or I’ll pick you up and carry you out.”

“You would…..” she looked at him as he raised his eyebrow in response and she knew he was being serious. “Ok, just give me a minute.”

“Maybe we should swing by to see Rach on the way home?” Aden suggested noticing just how pale Belle had become.

“No, seriously I probably just need to sleep it out.”

“Ok, but if you are still feeling like this when I finish work then…”

“Then you can call Rachel.” Belle told him, managing a small grin.

_____

Clutching hold of the bunch of flowers he had just picked up on his way home Aden gently pushed the door open, making sure to do it as quietly as possible so as not to wake Belle who he was fully expecting to be tucked up in bed. He was somewhat surprised therefore to be met with the smell of something cooking wafting in from the kitchen.

“Belle?” he called.

“In here baby.”

He followed her voice through into the kitchen to find her standing in front of the stove.

“What’s going on?” he asked confusion clear in his voice.

“Errr, I’m cooking dinner, like I do most nights.”

“Yeah but……”

“I’m feeling heaps better.” She explained with a grin. “It’s weird really, I fell asleep just after you left and when I woke up…it was like nothing had happened.”

“Hmmm, must have just been like a twelve hour thing or something. I’m just glad you’re ok.” He pulled her to him and pressed a warm kiss to her willing lips. “I love you.”

“Love you too.” Belle grinned into his lips. “And I’ll love you even more when you don’t smell of bait! Shower!”

Aden chuckled as she pushed her hand against his chest, moving him away from her.

“Ok. Do me a coffee for when I get out?”

“What did your last slave die of?” Belle giggled

“Exhaustion!” He called back as he made his way up the stairs.

He turned on the shower and set about getting undressed. He was just about to remove his boxers when the door was shoved open and Belle came hurtling into the room.

“Whoah, what’s going on? Sweetheart….”

Belle reached the toilet just in time. As she leant over it she instantly started to throw up.

“Hey, hey, it’s alright baby, I’m here.” Aden had darted to her side and pulled her hair back from her face as she lowered herself onto her knees. His other hand rubbed soothing circles on her back. “That’s it babe, let it all out.” He soothed.

After a few minutes, once she was sure there was nothing left inside her to come up Belle reached out a shaky hand to flush the toilet.

“Hey, come here.” Aden pulled her back so that she was sitting in between his legs which he had outstretched.

“I just need to…” Before she could get any further Aden had reached up to the sink and pulled down her toothbrush and a tube of toothpaste. “Thanks.” She murmured as he handed it to her.

He left her in peace for a few moments whilst she cleaned her teeth, helping her to stand up so that she could rinse out her mouth.

“Thanks.” She whispered again as she leant back into his embrace.

“No problem.” He replied. “So, I thought you were feeling better?”

“I was.” Belle insisted “I think I just need to sit down a minute.”

“Come on then.”

His arm wrapped tightly around her waist Aden led her to their bedroom and helped lower her onto the bed for the second time that day.

“So what happened? Did you just feel sick all of a sudden or…..”

“I was fine, more than fine actually I felt great and then I opened the jar to make you coffee and…….and…….” Belle trailed off.

“And….?”

“Oh my god Aden! I think…..” she stopped what she was saying and jumped up from the bed. “Where’s my bag?”

“You’re bag? Sweetheart, what’s going on? Why’d you need your bag?”

“I need….here!” Having found the desired item Belle rooted around inside it for a moment eventually pulling out her phone.

“Your phone? Belle, I’m freaking out a little over here, you wanna fill me in?” Aden had jumped up from the bed and had walked over to Belle taking hold of her arm gently to try and get her full attention. “Belle!” He repeated when she continued to push at buttons on her phone, pure concentration etched on her features.

“Just…..” she trailed off again causing Aden to sigh deeply in frustration.

It was another full minute before Belle looked up at him and when she did Aden was shocked by the huge grin that lit up her face.

“what….?” He asked.

Belle threw her phone onto the bed and then grasped Aden’s hands in hers, entwining their fingers as she stared deeply into his eyes.

“Baby I…..” she began before having to clear her throat, emotion getting the better of her. “I think I’m pregnant.”

End flashback

Whispers from outside of the room broke into his consciousness. He could hear the voices and worked out that it was Nicole and Roman.

“It’s been hours dad, he’s been in there by himself most of that time, it’s not healthy.” Nicole’s voice was heavy with grief and worry.

“I know darling but it’s just his way of dealing with things, he’ll be out when he’s good and ready.”

“But I really think….”

“No Nicole, it wont work.” Roman said firmly.

“She’s his baby, Belle’s baby. Trust me dad please. I know Aden.”

The voices faded and Aden felt momentarily relieved until the door to the room he was in was pushed open. Nicole entered pushing a clear plastic bassinet, all that was visible was a mound of pink blankets. She wheeled it all the way in bringing it to a stop right next to the bed.

“I thought the baby might want to meet her daddy.” She whispered only to be met with silence. “Or that her daddy might want to meet her.” She tried again. Again receiving nothing in response. “Well baby, this is your daddy anyway, and this beautiful lady here….this is your mommy.”

A sob broke over Nicole’s lips as she perched herself onto the edge of Belle’s bed. Without hesitation she took hold of the hand that had been rested atop of the sheet and raised it to her lips. “Your little girl is so beautiful Belle. You did such a great job.”

Aden watched in silence as Nicole spoke gently to Belle, whispering every detail about the baby girl. Without any conscious thought he found himself on his feet, walking towards the crib. If Nicole noticed she didn’t react like she had, she just continued to whisper to her friend.

It took only a few steps until he was standing directly over his daughter but Aden still hadn’t looked at her, instead his eyes were fixated on the wall above Belle’s bed. With a deep breath he finally started to lower them and for the second time that day he felt as though he had been hit by a bus. The eyes that were staring back at him were the exact replicas of the ones he thought he had lost forever.

“Lola” he whispered.

“huh?” Nicole asked looking to him.

“You keep saying she or the baby…” he whispered his voice croaky with emotion “…her name’s Lola.” And without another word he lifted the baby into his arms and holding her tight against his chest let free the tears he had been holding back for hours.

Woah, this is really good.I loved everyone's reaction to the baby and to Belle dying, I loved Irene taking Lola when Aden couldn't.I was worried that Nicole's gambit was going to backfire so I'm so glad it worked.Looking forward to seeing where you take it.

awww I'm all teary-eyed :(:lol:

that was so sad and sweet at the same time lol , love the idea and great first couple of chapters, can't wait to see where this is going.

Cant believe Belle's dead, how's Aden gonna cope? :(:unsure:

Lola's a really nice name :D and she sounds so cute and sweet already =D

Are you still contining Brother in Arms?

Update soon (:

xx

Archived