Second Best

Guest Dotti

Story title: Second Best

Type of story: Short fiction

Main characters: Belle, Geoff and Aden

BTTB rating: G

Genre: Romance/Angst

Warnings: Mild Sexual References

Summary: Belle is torn between Geoff and Aden. Can you really love two people at the same time? What does it feel like knowing you'll always be second best?

It all begun when I overdosed at Rachel and Tony’s wedding, what a stupid, pathetic thing to do! That mistake cost me the love of my life, Aden. So after I fell unconscious and was taken to hospital, Rachel made sure I was sent to rehab immediately, no ifs and no buts. Aden not once visited, but when I did get out for a day I witnessed something I’ll never forget. Aden getting it on with Nicole on the couch, one word – disgusting! The image will be burned into my memory and last for a lifetime.

Geoff, my best friend, my foster brother, was there for me when Aden wasn’t. Geoff visited me once a week in the clinic, to give me reassurance and keep me company. Annie and Irene couldn’t bring themselves to see me in here, but they did send their love via letters and phone calls, which was nice.

But Geoff had been my rock; he was supporting me through thick and thin. I owed him for that. I don’t think I could have made it this far without him. When I was down, he would always find a way to make me smile. But I still loved Aden, I wasn’t able to get him out of my head, at least one to two times a week I’d dream of Aden Jefferies, holding me, kissing me, telling me he loved me more than Nicole. Why did they have to be dreams, why?

Well after plenty of counselling secessions and the love and support of Geoff, Annie and Irene, I was finally able to go home from this place. I was nervous to be honest, what would people think of me – Belle the junkie. I hope the name wouldn’t stick. Then there was Colleen what would she be telling people? Argh, these thoughts are nauseating.

“Belle...you’ll be fine. I’ll be right here with you” Geoff squeezed my hand; we were sitting in the back of Irene’s car together. “Thanks” I whispered faking a laugh. ‘It doesn’t matter what anyone says okay, because they’re wrong....”

“So if they say Belle we’re so proud of you, we always believed in you, I shouldn’t listen to that right?” I teased, “What – no – I mean....you know what I mean, Belle, stop it....you’re really mean sometimes...” We laughed together. I loved teasing Geoff; sometimes he was just so gullible. “You’re really cute when you’re confused you know that right” I smiled as I reached for his hand giving it a gentle squeeze. “And you’re.....really beautiful....”

“T-thanks...I think....” I looked the other way; I didn’t want him to see me blush. “Even when you were in the clinic, with those dark circles under your eyes, you still looked....beautiful” Geoff and I were talking in a low tone so Irene couldn’t hear us, she hadn’t taken much notice that there was something new, something different happening between us, a unidentified spark beaming each time we stared at each other.

I was a little scared at first, but mostly I was feeling guilty for my feelings towards Geoff so soon after Aden. I felt like I was cheating even though I hadn’t kiss, touched him in a romantic way, it was all friendly interaction with him, was there such a thing as emotional cheating? I did notice I tended to be nicer towards Geoff, maybe even a bit of flirting, oh god, who am I kidding?

“We’re here!” Irene sung, “Great.....” I said in a sarcastic tone rolling my eyes. “Hey remember what I said, everything is going to be ah-okay”

“Ah no it’s not going to be ah-okay. Okay!” I hissed at Geoff. “Look love, if people are gonna judge then there’s no point in wastin’ your time and energy on them, you got it girlie”

“But it’s human nature!” I replied, but Irene didn’t acknowledge she had heard me. Geoff just shrugged smiling.

“I’m starving” I moaned, rubbing my stomach in circles. “You’re always hungry” Geoff grumbled. “No I’m not”

“Well it’s a good thing we’re going to the diner isn’t it?” Irene was in front of us, Geoff and I dawdled behind, walking towards the diner. My stomach grumbled, “You see, you see, I am hungry”

“Well shut up because we are all hungry” Geoff obviously wasn’t in the mood for jokes. “I know...”

“Oh Belle, welcome back” Leah pulled me towards her and squeezed me tightly. “Can’t.....breathe...” I said. “Oh sorry”

“Only kidding” I smiled, I wanted to convince her I was back to my old self. “There’s something different about you..”

“What there’s nothing different about me” I replied quickly. “Yes there’s definitely something different about you...you have this glow around your face” And then he entered, Aden staring at me with a blank face. “What glow, there’s no glow”

“Hm, I think you’re right Leah there’s something different about Belle” Irene joined in. “Oh my god you guys, don’t tell me you’ve only just noticed my blonde hair highlights”

“It’s not the highlights....something else is going on, best keep your eye on this one Irene. Something’s up” Leah teased before heading back into the kitchen.

“Oh my god she knew!” I whispered quickly at Geoff. “Knew what?” Geoff said in a serious tone. “About us” I whispered again. “What about us?” Geoff asked in a stupid voice. “Oh god Geoff, I think she knows that we’re....”

“Hi Belle” Aden cut me off, how rude, oh well I’ll get over it. I was just glad he was here. “H-Hi” I said nervously tucking my hair behind my ear. “You look....healthy...”

Healthy? I look healthy! What happened to gorgeous or beautiful? “I mean...you look.....better...”

“I get it” I nodded and then looked away. “Belle, I just wanted to say what happened with Nicole....I’m sorry, I didn’t want you to see that”

“Well she did!...and what do you care anyway” Geoff snapped at Aden. “You should be” I added, “You should be sorry, do you have any idea how hard it is to picture the two of you together”

“Belle....” Aden began to say. “Come on let’s go” Geoff tugged my arm in the other direction. “Yeah” I agreed. Geoff and I walked outside, the hot sun burning my skin, the sweat droplets forming above my upper lip. “What was that all about” Geoff asked, with a furious expression. “Remember I told you Aden and Nicole slept together”

“But you said it was hard to picture them together, why is it hard, why Belle?” Geoff was still talking in an angry tone. “What are you going on about?” I asked in a confused voice. “You’re still in love with him aren’t you?”

“Of course I am Geoff....”

“But you said you like me”

“I do like you Geoff, but I love Aden still...”

“Right so you love Aden and you like me....like and love, they’re two different things”

“Geoff..You know I love you, but I just don’t love you in a romantic way yet....I think you’re overreacting”

“Overreacting, Belle my point is, you still care whether Aden is with Nicole and you shouldn’t because you’re over him and you’re with me now”

“Am I? We haven’t even kissed”

“Yeah well....we’re talked about it.....you said when you get out of rehab you wanted to start a relationship, we agreed that we wanted to explore whatever this thing was between us. I was there for you Belle and he wasn’t, he let you down, he ...”

“Alright....alright, you’re alright. He didn’t support me and you did.....I’m sorry Geoff. It’s just going to take some time to get over him, you know”

“Yeah...I know, I’m sorry for being pushy”

“It’s okay, just shows you care.”

The next day it was Valentine’s Day, a stupid American tradition. I hated Valentine’s Day.

“Happy Valentine’s Day, Belle!!” Annie squealed as I came out of my bedroom, still sleepy. “Meh”

“Aren’t you excited, I’m sure Aden is gonna buy you something to die for”

“I doubt it....” I sat down reaching for the milk. “But why not, he still loves you doesn’t he”

“Annie, just leave it!” I snapped. “Sorry....I just wish I had a Valentine’s...to spoil me rotten”

“What about Jai”

“What about Jai, he’s such a jerk....I never want think see Jai ever....he better not get me anything”

“But you just said you wanted to be spoilt”

“Just forget it” Annie hissed walking into the bathroom. I laughed, ah young love.

It was around three pm and I decided to go to the Surf Club to grab a fruit smoothie. “There you are!” Geoff smiled. “Here I am” I said back. “I got you a Valentine’s gift...”

“Aww Geoff you shouldn’t have..”

“So you’re sure she’ll like it” Aden asked Nicole as he finished his workout in the gym. “Trust me, she’ll love it. I think it’s sweet you’ve written her a piece of music. I’d love for a man to play me a love song on the piano, so romantic I think...”

“Yeah well that guy’s not me Nic”

“I know....I know....you’ve only got eyes for Belle, blah blah....”

“You shouldn’t have Geoff” I was touched but I hated gifts for Valentine’s, girls always had to compare who got the better gift.

“Flowers.....and chocolates of course” Geoff presented me with a gift bag, inside Jessica Walker chocolates and a bunch of white roses, “Geoff....thank you....I love it” I smiled sniffing the flowers. “You’re welcome”

“Oh” Nicole said as Aden watched Geoff give Belle some flowers and chocolates. Aden was unimpressed and almost shed a tear. “Oh well there’s no point in playing that pathetic musical piece for her now Bible boys showered her with gifts”

“No wait Aden, you need to show her how you feel” Then Aden turned back to watch Belle, but Geoff was closer they stared into each other’s eyes, Geoff and Belle were inches away from each other’s lips, it didn’t take a genius to work out what they wanted to do.

“Forget it Nic, she’ll be more impressed with a bunch of flowers than a corny piano song”

“You’re making a mistake” Aden walked away, angry as hell. “Whatever princess”

“You can play it for me! Aden play the song for me!” Nicole shouted back, but Aden walked further and further away.

Aden wrote her a song ? That was so sweet, and I have tears brimming in my eyes.

This is a really great start, and I can't wait to see what happens

I like the idea behind it, especially the Geoff and Belle interaction.

Can't wait to see how it plays out, if Aden fights back ...

Update soon.

Georgia. xx

I was going to post in the advertisement thread that this sounded like a really good idea and I was looking forward to it...but you've started it so I can post in here instead.Looking forward to seeing where you take it.(Well...maybe...)The complicated tangle between the four of them was really well-written and I liked Annie's little cameo.I'd like to think Geoff and Belle would work out and they do seem to be happy together but the fact she's still having those thoughts about Aden suggests it's not going to be as simple as that...

Archived