Martha MacKenzie - Jodi Gordon

emmasi

I hated Martha when she first arrived. I didn't rate Jodi as an actress, and the character was doing nothing but breaking up my favourite trio for kicks (Robbie, Tash, and Kim) >.< However, it was nice to see a female character who was a qualified tradesperson, rather than being automatically stuck behind a counter serving drinks - either coffee or alcohol. Unfortunately, that didn't last, and she ended up working behind the bar at Noah's. Apparently the bay doesn't need an electrician anymore (gotta wonder why both Kim and Jai got themselves electrocuted fiddling about with fuse boxes then...)

Jodi's become a much better actress since then, and therefore Martha, for me, is a much better character to watch. She first got my attention in the pole dancing storyline, which I know a lot of people hated and thought was cheap, but I really liked it. Not just because she was hot, which she was :P, but because Martha's vulnerability and hopelessness came through very strongly in Jodi's acting. I was blown away by it. The cancer storyline now is also being played out well.

Edited by QUIET ACHIEVER

I actually hated the Pole Dancing storyline. :P I couldn't come to terms with it. I think it would have been better if that sleezeball Cam or whatever his name was wasn't there.

I really like Martha at the moment. Her cancer is very sad and I hope she makes a speedy recovery!

I find myself liking Martha these days as well. I hate her when she and Jack are broken up, and that's not because I'm a big fan of that pairing or anything (cause I'm not :P) but she's far less annoying when she's with him. Actually for some weird reason they focus more on the character when they're together, just like they seem to focus more on the couple when they're not together :P

I think the cancer storyline has been surprisingly good. It has gone from "potentially very interesting, but not quite there yet" in the beginning to being really good and also pretty sad lately. Martha's concerns about the last round of chemo this week has definitely been the best so far, Jodi's really doing a great job :)

Well I liked the pole dancing storyline :P She was completely annoying in some parts of it, but it made her grow up and mature, which she needed. That combined with the cancer storyline has given Martha alot more depth.

As for Jodi, she has come such a long way in her acting. I don't know if its because she's been having acting lessons for a while or because she has personal experience with cancer, but whatever it is, she's doing a great job at the moment.

• Like 1

Martha’s a difficult one. Initially I just couldn’t stand the woman. She seemed to have a serious attitude problem and she came across as though she was up herself and better than everyone else. There were times to be honest where I could have swung for her. I disliked her even more when she married Jack (the person I dislike most out of everybody incidentally). I didn’t mind her when she was with Cam as I found that whole storyline reasonably entertaining. I then found myself disliking her intensely when all that stuff with Sam happened (which I don’t particularly want to go into).

It’s funny because as much as I’ve said to myself I could never like Martha, since the cancer storyline, I have warmed to her and I now actually quite like her (*hangs head in shame*). I know! I am the sort of person that can change my mind about characters very quickly. I’m only at UK pace at the moment but I feel now that she has a whole different attitude. It’s quite refreshing actually. I would prefer her not to be with Jack as I feel that she is a far better character on her own and there is potential for better storylines. On another thread I said I was glad that she lost the baby (because I wanted Charlie and Roman to be together without any interference) but even though this storyline has been explored before it would be interesting to see her raise a child as a single parent and how she copes with that.

I really love her. Not ashamed of it either :P She's always been my favourite (or one of) females. I think she's really complex and I love that she's finally grown. I think it's realistic to have someone at that age finally coming into their own- some people just have to learn the hard way and it can be a very tedious process, and I do completely understand why that didn't make her endearing to everyone. But personally I found it interesting.

Anyway I love the cancer storyline and tonight's scene behind the bars I thought was very poignant. It's nice to have this storyline to substantiate the development site one, and instead of actually having people just say what cancer suffers go through is hard you can actually see it. I also really love the way the community has a sense of hope when it comes to her, I think it's being beautifully played out.

Edited by Jamey-Maria

I have always loved Martha/Jodi. She shines when she acts and I love watching her scenes. In the pole dancing storyline it did show how hot she was but it also showed how vulnerable she was after all that had happened to her. I am watching the cancer storyline and in awe about how she is doing it :) She is great and I am glad she is in H&A.

• 2 months later...

I have always been a fan of Marthas. I prayed every night that her and Jack would finally reunite. Jodi's portrail of Martha with cancer is brilliantly done. It goes to show that Breast Cancer is not just a old persons disease. Any one can get it. No matter the age. Jodi was brave taking on the role after loosing her sole mate to Leukimnia. Well done Jodi :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

I just realised how much Martha needs a friggen friend!

I'd say Charlie if they had of bothered laying any ground work before their sudden "best friends" for-the-sake-of-the-episode chat last year when she came back from the retreat. But it's going to take a bit more than that for me to believe there's any real friendship there. The only person I can think of is Rachel and she's supporting Tony and protecting/worrying about her baby at this stage so it's not as if she's going to be of much help.

-Angelo (supposedly) shot her husband so she's going to feel betrayed and disgusted when she realises she let him in.

-Bridget is a lying, manipulative cow. 'Nuff said.

-And the whole Roman thing is just messy. You can't possibly be good friends with someone when they're in love with you and bla bla bla.

especially if she finds out

That just won't work.

She really needs a friend. :(

But on another note I think Jodi's been doing her best acting in this storyline so far. Tuesday's episode was heartbreaking, especially the scene with Tony on the bed.

Edited by Jamey-Maria