Someone’s Watching You

Guest valli

IMPORTANT! This story contains spoilers for people outside Australia. If you do not want to read spoilers, do not continue

Story title: Someone’s watching you

Type of story: Long fic

Rating: T/A

Main characters: Martha, Jack and Sam. Some appearances by others

Genre: Drama and romance

Warnings: Some sexual content and some violence

Is story being proof read: No

Does story include spoilers: Yes, for people outside Australia

Summary: Someone is watching Martha. They follow her every move. Sam tries to destroy Jack and Martha's friendship in fear that it might become more than just a friendship. Jack is unsure about his feelings for Martha

Chapter 1.

The Diner flat

It was just past 7.30 am. Martha had got herself out of bed and was ready for work. She was tired and upset about what happened the day before:

Noah’s bar

Martha was working late and was minding her own business when Jack walked in.

“I need to talk to you” Jack said, looking troubled at Martha.

“Why, what’s up?”

Jack looked over his shoulder and took one step closer to Martha.

“You know that Sam and I are getting married, right?”

“Yes...”

“Well, Sam doesn’t feel so secure when you’re around, so… ehm… not quite sure how to say this, but…”

He took a deep breath before continuing:

“You can’t come to the wedding” he finished before looking anxiously at Martha.

Martha was stunned by this and just looked at Jack before realising what he just had said.

“What? Who does she think she is?”

Martha was furious and started yelling at Jack, about how he couldn’t stand up for himself.

“Hey, don’t push it! I tried to tell her that you are not a threat, but she wouldn’t listen!”

“I’m not a threat?” Martha said, looking hurt.

“That’s not what I meant…” Jack tried to explain, but Martha wouldn’t listen.

“Just go Jack. I’m tired of you always making excuses. So just go.”

Jack looked as if he truly wanted her to understand, but he did as she asked him to and left.

The Diner flat

Martha tried to call Jack several times, but he didn’t answer his phone. She was really sorry for the way she had treated him the day before and wanted to apologise.

The Bachelor Pad

Jack had got out of bed and was getting ready for work. He tried to block out the fight between him and Martha, but it wasn’t easy when she kept on calling him all the time. Rachel was already up, and then the phone rang.

“Don’t answer it.” Jack said.

“Why not?”

“It’s probably just Martha and I don’t want to talk to her.”

“It might be Martha, but you don’t know that, so I’m answering it anyway.”

Rachel picked up the phone.

The Diner flat

At last someone answered the phone.

“Rachel speaking”

“Hi Rachel, it’s Martha. Is Jack there?”

Rachel looked at Jack and whispered:

“It’s Martha. Are you sure you don’t want to talk to her?”

Jack looked up, thought about it and answered:

“Yes.”

Rachel picked up the phone.

“I’m sorry, but he’s not here. Can I take a message?”

Martha, who had heard them talking, was disappointed that he refused to talk to her.

“Just tell him that I called.”

“Sure. Bye.”

“Bye.”

Martha hung up and looked out the window. A tear fell down her cheek. After everything she and Jack had been through, how could he just shut her out after an argument like that? And then there was Sam. Martha knew, deep down in her heart, that if Sam hadn’t come back when she did, she and Jack would have been together. She sat quiet a little while before she decided to go and see Jack. At that moment someone knocked on the door. Martha walked over to the door and opened it. Nobody was there. Or, at least that’s what she thought.

“Hello? Is anyone here?”

She walked out in the hallway. Then someone grabbed her from behind. She screamed and tried to get away. There was a struggle before Martha lost her balance and the unknown person pushed her down the stairs. Her head hit a shelf and started to bleed.

Promo: Will they find Martha before it’s too late? And who pushed her down the stairs? Will Jack regret pushing Martha away and realise what he really feels about her?

Sorry this is a bit late. I hope you like it. Enjoy! :)

Chapter 2.

The Bachelor Pad

Jack was feeling guilty for not talking to Martha. Sam had just got up and saw that something was bothering Jack.

“What’s wrong?”

“Nothing, I’m fine.” Jack answered, but he didn’t sound convincing.

“You don’t fool me. I can tell that something is up. So spit it out!”

Jack looked at Sam for a while, as if he was trying to decide which option was the worst.

“Fine, I’ll tell you. Last night, I told Martha that she couldn’t come to the wedding. This you already know. But today, when she called, I refused to talk to her, and now I’m feeling guilty about it.”

He looked at Sam and expected the worst. Sam just looked at Jack. She was not too happy about him being friends with Martha.

“Well, I think you should go and talk to her then.”

Jack looked as if he had seen a ghost.

“Are you sure?”

“Yes, I am sure. Now go.”

“Thank you.” Jack said, and gave her a kiss.

The Diner

Jack walked over to Irene, who had just opened the Diner.

“Hi Irene, mind if I come in?”

“Of course not. Are you looking for Martha?”

They both walked in to the kitchen. Behind their backs, Martha was lying, unconscious and bleeding from her head.

”Yeah, I need to talk to her.”

”I think she’s still upstairs. Just go and…” She never finished the sentence, because in that moment, she noticed Martha on the floor.

”Oh my God!” She ran over to Martha. Jack had seen her too now.

”Martha talk to me! Martha!” Irene was getting hysterical.

”I’ll call the ambulance!” Jack said, taking out his cell phone.

Northern District Hospital

At the hospital, Ric, Alf, Cassie and Sally were waiting for Martha to be brought in. Jack had called them as soon as he had called for the ambulance. Then, after 5 tough minutes, Martha finally arrived.

“Oh God, what have happened to her?” Cassie asked Jack, who was coming right behind the people from the ambulance.

“We think she fell down the stairs and hit her head.”

“We?”

“The police.”

The police? Do you think someone pushed her?”

“Maybe, but it’s just a possibility.”

Cassie looked worried at the operating theatre, were the doctors, including Rachel, tried to stop the bleeding.

After about 20 minutes, which felt like forever, Rachel came out. Everyone ran over to her.

“How is she doing? Is she going to be alright?” Alf asked.

“Yes. We managed to stop the bleeding and there were no signs of a brain injury. But…”

“But what? There might be something worse?” Ric asked.

“No, nothing like that. But she is going to have trouble remembering what happened.” Rachel said, looking at everyone, waiting for a reaction.

“So there is no point asking her what happened?” Jack asked, looking disappointed. He was hoping she would remember, so he could get the person who did this. He knew that someone had pushed her, since there were traces of another person in the stairs. He didn’t tell the others that because he didn’t want them to worry.

“Can we see her?” Alf asked.

“Of course. She is right through there.” Rachel answered, pointing towards one of the rooms.

“Thank you.” Alf said as he started walking to the room.

Jack was about to follow when Sam arrived.

“Jack, what are you doing here? What’s going on?”

Jack looked at Sam and tried to come up with a better explanation than “I was going to see Martha”.

“Ehm… I was just… You see…”

He pulled himself together.

“I was going to see Martha.”

Sam just looked at Jack. She couldn’t believe what she was hearing!

“Always Martha, isn’t it? You care more about her than you do about me! And you are going to marry me!”

“Sam…”

“No, Jack. I’m tired of excuses. If it weren’t for the fact that I love so much, I would have left you by now. But if Martha shows up at our wedding, I’m leaving you at the altar!”

Promo: Is Sam serious? Who will Jack choose, Martha or Sam? When Martha leaves the hospital, someone is waiting for her. They follow her home. They are waiting for the right moment…

Enjoy :D

Chapter 3.

Northern District Hospital

Martha was lying in her bed. Alf and the others had just left her room. She was supposed to rest, but she couldn’t. The attack was going through her mind over and over again. She was frustrated that she couldn’t remember who her attacker was.

“Don’t worry about it, love. If someone pushed you, the police will find him or her.” Alf had said to calm her down. They didn’t believe her when she said that someone pushed her. Jack hadn’t been to see her. That was no surprise, really. He didn’t want to talk to her, so why should he want to see her?

Meanwhile, out in the hallway, Jack looked after Sam as she took off. He was surprised that she could sink so low. He and Martha were only friends. He then turned around and walked to Martha’s room. Martha looked up when he entered.

“I didn’t think you would show up.” Martha said, without looking at him.

“Why would you think that?”

“Well, I don’t know. Maybe because you refused to talk to me this morning?”

Jack was taken by surprise. He had no idea that Martha had heard everything he had said.

“I’m sorry. I just… I didn’t want another fight, that’s all!”

“I was going to apologise! Now I’m not sure why I even bothered to try.”

“Martha…”

“Just go.”

Jack left the room, sad because his friendship with Martha could be over. But did he really want just a friendship? With a shock he realised that he still loved Martha! He sat down on a chair and tried to decide if he wanted to be with Martha or Sam. At last he made a decision.

Later that day it was time for Martha to go home. The wound was healing just fine, so Rachel saw no reason for her to stay. Martha went out on the parking lot. In the bushes someone was waiting. They had been waiting there a long time. They followed Martha to her car. Martha thought she heard something, but she ignored it. Then one of the security guards came out.

“Are you alright?”

“Yeah, I’m fine.”

She didn’t know how close she had been to be attacked again. She drove home and locked herself in. Someone had been following her all the way.

The Diner flat

When she had got inside, someone was about to follow when Jack turned up. That someone just got enough time to hide.

“Hi. How are you doing?” Jack asked when he walked in the door.

“Fine. What are you doing here?”

“I need to talk to you.”

“What now? Can’t I see you anymore?”

“No. I’m still in love with you.”

Martha almost fell of her chair.

“What?”

“I realised it today at the hospital.”

“Then you have a funny way of showing it! Getting engaged to someone else.”

“Yeah, that’s the thing. I’m going to stay with Sam. Things never worked out between us, so I’m leaving us in the past. I suggest you do the same.” Jack said before leaving. Martha was in shock. He still loved her! She then started to cry. She had lost Jack. Every chance of them getting back together had been crushed. The “someone” outside in the hallway decided not to approach her tonight and left.

The Bachelor Pad

When Jack got home, Sam was there and she was not happy.

“You still love Martha, don’t you?”

“What? Where did that come from?”

“Just answer the question, Jack!”

Jack looked at Sam. He knew that he was going to hurt her.

“Yes, I am…”

“I knew it! This relationship is over!”

“But I’m not going to do anything about it! I love you Sam. I want to be with you.”

“But you love Martha too.”

“Not as much as I love you!”

Jack tried to comfort Sam, but she was too upset.

“Is there any chance you can forgive me?” Jack begged.

“Maybe. You are sleeping on the couch tonight.” Sam said, before she went to bed.

Jack looked after her before getting the couch ready, so he could sleep on it.

Promo: Sam is pushing Jack away. Is she pushing him right in to the arms of his ex? Things heat up between Jack and Martha. Will they make a big mistake?

Content might not be suitable for younger readers

Chapter 4.

The Bachelor Pad

Sam was coming out of the bedroom; she looked at Jack before going to work. Jack woke up, confused about why he was on the couch. Then he remembered the argument with Sam.

“Sam?” he called out.

No answer. Jack was wondering how Sam had figured out that he was still in love with Martha. Was it that obvious?

The Diner flat

Sam was supposed to go to work, but she wanted to talk to Martha first. She knocked on the door. Martha opened.

“What are you doing here? Thought I was the last person you would want to see.” Martha said. She was confused about what Sam was doing here.

“Do you know that Jack is still in love with you?”

“Yes, he told…”

“Thought so. Now listen to me. I don’t like you and if I see you with Jack, I’m not responsible for my own actions. I might hurt you.”

Sam looked at Martha, waiting for a confirmation that she had understood. Martha was shocked. Who does she think she is, coming here and threatening me? Sam had got what she came for and left. Martha went back in, thinking that she needed to tell Jack what Sam had told her. She rang Jack.

“Jack Holden speaking.”

“Hi, it’s Martha.”

“Hi. Ehm… so… how are you feeling?”

“Not too good. Sam was just here.”

“Oh. How did that go?”

“She threatened me.”

“What? What did she say?”

“She said that if she saw me with you, she wouldn’t be responsible for her own actions.”

“Oh, are you alright? Do you want me to come over?”

“Why would you do that? Wouldn’t that be the end of you and Sam?”

“Me and Sam are almost over anyway. I’ll come over.”

“Thank you Jack.”

“No problem.”

The beach

Jack was walking at the beach on his way to Martha, when he ran into Sam. Jack was angry with Sam for threatening Martha.

“Why did you threaten her?”

“She was about to come between us. I couldn’t allow that to happen.”

“I’m so tired of you. I don’t want to talk to you, I can hardly look in the eyes.”

Sam was taken by surprise by this sudden change in Jack. Jack kept on walking.

“Where are you going?” Sam asked.

“None of your business!” Jack replied.

The Diner flat

Jack arrived at Martha’s place. He went inside when Martha opened. He wanted to explain that he was sorry for everything that had happened and that he didn’t know how Sam had figured out that he was still in love with Martha.

“Take a seat.”

Jack sat down on the couch with Martha right next to him.

“Look, I’m sorry for everything. I never should have told you that I still have feelings for you.” Jack said, because he wanted to save the friendship.

“It’s okay, Jack. I’m glad you told me.”

“Why? I mean, look at the mess we’re in. None of this would have happened if I would have kept my mouth shut.”

“I know, but… I’m still in love with you.”

This time it was Jack’s turn to almost fall of the couch.

“What? But I thought that you didn’t love me anymore. This changes everything.”

“What do you mean?”

Martha looked puzzled. Jack smiled at her. He leant forward. They were very close.

“What are you doing?” Martha asked, smiling.

“Something I should have done a long time ago.”

He kissed her gently on her lips. She looked at him. He kissed her again, this time more passionately. She took his hand and led him in to the bedroom. He gently laid her on the bed and started removing her clothes.

Promo: Jack is cheating on Sam. Will he get busted? Jack and Martha spent the night together, but there is a surprise ahead for them. And it is not a good surprise.

Chapter 5.

The Diner flat

Jack and Martha were lying next to each other. Jack looked at Martha, who was still asleep. He was unsure if he had made the right decision.

“A penny for your thoughts.” Martha had woken up.

Jack smiled at her. He didn’t want to show her that he had second thoughts.

“I’ll give them to you for free.”

“Bring them on!”

Jack laughed.

“I’m thinking that your smile is so cute.”

“That is just something you’re saying!” she giggled.

“No, it’s the truth!”

They smiled at each other before she kissed him. He felt bad when he thought about Sam. But he gave in and gently touched her body, but, of course, Jack’s cell phone rang and destroyed the moment.

“I better get it.”

He picked up the phone and to his consternation; it was Sam.

“Hi, Sam.”

Martha looked at Jack. If Sam found out that she and Jack had spent the night together, she would go completely insane.

“No, I just needed to clear my head. Of course I’m not with Martha! I’ll be home soon. Love you too. Bye.”

“Did she buy it?”

“I think so, but I need to hurry home. You know, just in case.”

He picked up his boxer and started dressing.

“Martha, I need to be completely honest with you.”

“Now you got me worrying. What’s wrong?”

“I think this was a mistake. We should just forget about it and move on.”

“Yes, of course. We got caught up in the moment, that’s all.”

“I’m glad you agree.”

Jack then took on his shoes and left. Martha was still lying in bed. She didn’t think it was a mistake, she had just said that to please Jack. Everything had been perfect when she woke up, now it was just a nightmare.

The Bachelor Pad

Jack got home, where Sam was waiting for him.

“Oh, thank God you’re home! I missed you.”

Jack just looked at her.

“Why aren’t you saying anything?”

“I’m afraid I’m going to say anything I might regret.”

“Look, I know that it was wrong of me to threaten Martha. I just… I love you so much and I don’t want to loose you. Can you find a way to forgive me?”

Jack smiled.

“Of course I can. I love you.”

“I love you too.”

They sat down on the couch. Jack kissed Sam.

“You know, Rory and Rachel aren’t here, so…” Sam looked into Jack’s eyes.

“What are you suggesting?”

Sam took his hands and guided him in to the bedroom.

Jack got out of the bedroom.

“You know, I love it when we make up.”

Sam laughed. Jack looked at Sam.

“Sam, I’m not going to see Martha anymore.”

“Thank you”

She smiled and kissed him. Jack kept his promise. At least, for a while. After three weeks Martha sent him a text message that read: “We have a problem”.

The Diner flat

“What do you mean, we have a problem?” Jack was furious.

“I thought I made myself perfectly clear when I said we just should forget about it.”

“You did, but…”

“But what? What could be this important?”

“Would you just listen to me?” Martha cried out.

“Yeah, sure. I’m sorry. What were you going to tell me?”

Martha just stood there. She was really nervous. She was afraid of Jack’s reaction.

“Are you going to use all day?” Jack was getting impatient. Martha knew she had to tell him.

“I’m pregnant!”

Promo: Jack is taken by surprise. What will happen when he tells Sam? And in chapter 7, a terrible accident leaves 2 lives hanging in the balance.

Thanks for you comments! :) Enjoy :D

Chapter 6.

The Diner flat

Jack couldn’t believe what Martha just had told him. She couldn’t be pregnant! Didn’t they use protection?

“This is not happening! Why didn’t we use our heads? Why didn’t you tell me before now” Jack was walking around, yelling at Martha.

“I didn’t know before today. My period was late, so I took a pregnancy test and it was positive!”

“Great! You know, you could have stopped me! This isn’t my fault. It’s yours. You should have made sure that you weren’t pregnant! You are going to take an abortion, and that is not up for discussion!”

Martha started crying. Jack realised that he had been a bit harsh and tried to apologise.

“Look, I’m sorry. I just didn’t see it coming, that’s all. And mostly I blame myself for this.”

Martha looked at Jack with tears in her eyes.

“I can’t take an abortion. Not after Ash. It’s too hard.”

“I know, but you have to. We can’t have this baby.”

“I don’t have to do anything! It’s my baby and it’s my body! I’ll decide what to do and I’m keeping this baby!”

Jack was stunned by Martha’s anger.

“But…”

“No buts. You can leave now.”

Usually Jack would have left, but not this time.

“I’m not leaving before we have sorted this out.”

Jack grabbed Martha and held her in front of him.

“If you want to keep the baby, I’ll support you. But Sam is going to kill me when she finds out.”

Martha laughed.

“It’s going to be alright. Everything is going to be alright.” Jack said and hugged Martha.

The Bachelor Pad

Sam was sitting on the couch when Jack walked in. He was really worried about how Sam was going to react.

“Jack, what’s wrong? You just took off and now you look like someone just died.”

“I need to tell you something and you aren’t going to like it. Promise me that you won’t go crazy and slap someone.”

“I promise. What’s this about? I’m getting worried.”

“You know when I had been out all night and I said I wasn’t with Martha?”

Sam nodded.

“I lied. Martha and I… we… ehm… we kind of… spent the night together.”

Sam was speechless. She froze on the spot.

“Please tell me that’s all.”

“I would if I could. You see… Martha… ehm… she is… pregnant.”

For someone who doesn’t like Sam, her face expression would have been priceless. For Jack it was like watching someone die.

Tears fell from her eyes and she couldn’t look at Jack.

“Sam…” Jack said with a voice like a five-year-old girl who just got busted.

“No, Jack. I don’t want to hear it. The engagement is off.”

Sam left, leaving Jack heartbroken.

“Don’t go and see Martha!” he yelled after her.

Jack started to cry. Even though he and Sam weren’t the best couple, he still loved her.

The Diner

Sam stormed in to the Diner. She couldn’t decide if she should see Martha or not. Colleen saw that she was crying and walked over to her.

“What’s wrong?”

“Jack and I just had a fight and I’m not sure if we are going to stay together.”

“Oh, poor you…” Colleen tried to comfort her.

Then Martha came down. She saw that Sam was there, and tried to sneak out without Sam seeing her. Unfortunately, that didn’t work. Sam saw Martha and was really angry. Martha didn’t want everyone to know, so she went outside. Sam followed. She caught up with Martha and started to yell at her.

“I told you to back off! You couldn’t do that, could you?”

“Sam, I’m…”

She didn’t get to finish the sentence, because Sam slapped her. Martha touched her cheek. It had turned red. Sam looked angry at her, before turning around and marching away.

The Diner flat

Martha had run home, and sat down by the kitchen bench, and started to cry. What she had thought was a fairytale, was now a nightmare she couldn’t get out of. There was no way things could get any worse! She was wrong. Very, very wrong…

Promo: In the next chapter, 2 lives will be hanging in the balance. Jack’s world will be turned up side down. Who is responsible?

(In a part of this chapter, there is two people called UP 1 and UP 2. I have called them this because I can’t tell you who they are. UP stands for unknown person)

Chapter 7.

The Diner

Jack walked in to the Diner, looking for Sam.

“Are you looking for Sam?” Colleen asked.

“Yeah, have you seen her?”

“Yes, she was just here. Poor, little thing. She was crying her eyes out. Promise me that you will try and work things out.”

“I promise. But where did she go?”

“When Martha came down, she walked after her. I don’t where they were headed.”

Jack swore to himself.

“Thanks. I’ll see if I can find her.”

Jack feared what Sam might have done to Martha, so he went upstairs.

The Diner flat

Jack walked in and saw Martha crying at the kitchen bench.

“Hey, what’s wrong?” he said with a soft voice.

Martha looked up and Jack saw her red cheek. He sighed.

“She slapped you, didn’t she?”

Martha nodded. Jack hugged her.

“I’m so sorry. This is my fault. I should have made sure that Sam stayed away from you.”

“It’s not your fault, Jack.”

“Yes, it is. And now, the engagement is off.”

Martha looked at Jack, shocked.

“What? Oh God, I’m so sorry, Jack.”

“You have nothing to be sorry for.”

“Yes, I do. I should have made sure that I wasn’t pregnant.”

Jack took Martha and looked deeply into her eyes.

“I’m glad you didn’t. We’re going to be parents! That’s the best thing that ever could have happened to me.”

“Are you sure? I mean, you were happy with Sam until I came along.”

Jack looked shocked at Martha.

“Is that what you think?”

“Do you blame me?”

“No, I don’t. Martha, you are the one for me. It just took me awhile to realise it.”

He smiled at her. She smiled back. He then leant forward and kissed her on her lips.

“I love you.” Jack said with a gentle voice.

Martha looked at him. Had he just said, “I love you”? Jack saw the confusion in Martha’s eyes and started to laugh.

“I got you, didn’t I?”

Then Martha started to laugh too.

“But I do love you. In fact, to be completely honest, I never stopped.”

“I love you too.”

He smiled.

“So, since we love each other, you wouldn’t mind going on a date with me?”

“No way!”

Jack looked shocked at Martha. Martha looked back, but she soon started to laugh.

“What’s so funny?”

“Gotcha!”

Jack looked at Martha for a moment before he realised that she had been joking.

“Very funny. Ha-ha.”

“You’ve got to admit that you bought my act?”

Jack laughed.

“Yeah, I did. But you didn’t answer my question. Would you like to go out with me?”

“Of course. When?”

“Can you meet me on the parking lot outside the police station at eight o’clock?”

“Sure. So you will be wearing a uniform, then?”

“No, I will just pick you up there.”

“Okay, I’ll be there.”

Jack kissed her, before he got up.

“See you later.”

“Bye.”

Jack walked out, happy that everything was where it should be.

The Bachelor Pad

Sam was waiting for Jack when he walked in.

“Where have you been?”

“None of your business! But if you really want to know, I’m going on a date with Martha.”

Sam was shocked. Jack was pleased with himself and went in to the bedroom. He needed to plan something special for Martha. Sam marched out in anger.

A bit later, in an old warehouse, two people met without anyone knowing. UP 1 was very angry with UP 2.

“You’re going to mess up the plan!” UP 1 said.

“I’m sorry.”

“You better be! I want my revenge, and no one is getting in the way.”

“I know that, but I’m not so sure that I can go through with it.”

“Why not?”

“It doesn’t feel right.”

“So they should get away with it, is that what you’re saying?”

“What? No! I just don’t think that we should take it so far.”

“They deserve it! Are you with me or not? If you’re not, I might have to get rid of you.”

“Why?”

“You know too much.”

“Fine, I’m in.”

“Brilliant! We start tonight!”

The police station

Jack was ready for the date, but he was really nervous. He didn’t want anything to go wrong. He walked out to the parking lot, where he saw Martha standing 200 meters ahead of him.

“Hey, Martha!” he shouted out, to get her attention.

She saw him and waved at him. At that moment, a car arrived, driving very fast. It was heading for Martha. She didn’t see the car before it was too late. The car hit her; she landed on to the roof, before she fell down to the ground. Jack saw everything in slow motion when her body hit the ground.

“MARTHA!” he screamed with the knowledge that his world was now up side down.

Promo: Will Martha survive? And what about the baby? What will Jack do when he has to tell Martha’s family that she’s pregnant?

First I would just like to thank you for your comments and say that there might be a while before I add chapter 9. Just so you know.

Chapter 8

The police station

Jack ran over to Martha’s body. He was in shock and he was afraid that she could be dead. He sat down by her body and tried to wake her up.

“Martha, talk to me! Martha, please!”

He took his cell phone out of his pocket and called for an ambulance. He couldn’t stand still. What if they came too late? He sat down by Martha’s body again, constantly checking her pulse. After what felt like forever, the ambulance arrived.

Northern District hospital

Martha was brought in. She was having trouble breathing and the doctors suspected internal bleeding.

“Name’s Martha Mackenzie. 20 years old. Pregnant. Been hit by a car.”

“Bring her in to theatre 1.”

Jack came in behind them. He tried to listen to what they were saying, but he couldn’t. He saw it in his head over and over again. The way her body had landed on the ground and the blood around her. Jack wasn’t the type of guy that cried a lot, but now he couldn’t hold the tears back. He sat down on a chair and cried. Then, of course, the last person he wanted to see showed up; Sam. Sam walked over to him and sat down on the chair next to him.

“What’s wrong?” She asked.

“As if you care!”

“How can you say something like that? Of course I care!”

Jack looked at her. He was trying to figure out if she was genuine or not. Then he remembered that he hadn’t called Alf and the rest to tell them what had happened.

Summer Bay House

Alf, Sally, Ric, Mattie, Pippa and Cassie were eating when the phone rang.

“Summer Bay caravan park, Ric speaking.”

“Hi Ric, it’s Jack. Can I talk to Alf?”

Ric could hear that something was wrong, but he didn’t say anything, he just gave the phone to Alf.

“It’s Jack.” Ric said when he gave the phone to Alf.

“Hi mate, what’s up?” Alf said when he got the phone.

“There’s been an accident…”

Ric was first in the door, followed by Alf, Cassie, Sally with Pippa and Mattie entering last. They ran over to Jack (and Sam).

“Do we know anything more?” Alf asked.

“No, they wouldn’t tell me anything!” Jack said, with a desperate voice. He wanted to know if Martha and the baby were okay. Then it suddenly hit him that no one knew about the baby except Sam and the doctors.

“Hey!” he shouted to the others, to get their attention. They turned around and looked at him.

“What’s up? Have they told you something?”

“No, not exactly. But there is something I need to tell you.”

They looked confused at him. Sam got a grumpy face and turned her body away from Jack. He saw this, but he didn’t mind.

“Well, you see… ehm…”

This was definitely not the way he had wanted to tell them.

“Martha’s…”

He didn’t get any further, because then one of the doctors came out of theatre 1. They ran over to him and started bombarding him with questions.

“How is she? Is she going to survive?”

“I can’t tell you anything yet. And I really don’t have time for this, I need to get back.” He said and went back in to theatre 1. They looked after him and went disappointed back to their seats. Then Alf remembered that Jack was about to say something.

“Hey, Jack. What was it that you wanted to tell us?”

Jack was caught by surprise and for a moment he didn’t know what to say.

“It doesn’t matter.” He answered at last. Alf nodded and continued to talk to Sally and Ric.

After several hours with lousy hospital coffee and Sam flirting with Jack, everyone was very tired and just wanted to go home. But even though a nice, cosy bed was tempting, they still refused to leave. Jack was getting tired of Sam and tried to get her off his back.

“Can I be alone for a few minutes?” he asked.

“Why?”

“Would you just get off my back?!” he snapped.

“No! You need support.”

Then Jack started to laugh.

“I’m glad you’re capable of finding the joke in all of this, but what’s so funny?”

“You are! First you say you don’t want to be with me and now you’re all over me!”

“Look, I know I was a bit harsh. I can see that now. But I regret it.”

Jack looked confused at Sam.

“What do you mean?”

“I want you back, Jack!”

Promo: Martha’s struggle for survival continues. And how far is Sam willing to go, to win Jack back? And the hunt for the driver begins.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally chapter nine is done! I’ll try to post chapter ten faster :P

Chapter 9

Jack looked at Sam (think of the expression: If looks could kill).

“What?!”

“You heard me Jack.”

“Who do you think you are?! I’m having a baby with Martha! I love Martha! Still you come here and tell me that you want me back?!” Jack was furious. How insensitive could she become? He was waiting for news on how Martha was doing and here she was, trying to win him back. Jack was so furious that he didn’t realise how loud he was talking. Alf and the rest turned around and looked shocked at Jack.

“What did you just say?” Ric asked.

Jack tried to come up with a good explanation, but his brain seemed to have been turned off.

“Ehm…” he began.

“Is Martha pregnant?”

Sam reacted faster than Jack.

“Yes.”

They all looked at Jack. Jack started mumbling.

“I was going to tell you… We were going to tell you together…” he said with a low voice.

Nobody said a word; they just stood there, looking at each other. Then, finally, Alf spoke up.

“It’s okay, mate. We’re happy for you. All three of you.”

Jack smiled. They were taking it better than he expected. Sam looked from Alf to Jack to Ric, before she looked at Jack again.

“Hello?! Is it nobody who cares about me? He cheated on me, for God’s sake!”

They all looked at her. Then Jack started laughing. After a few seconds, they were all laughing at Sam.

“It’s not funny!” she yelled out.

Nobody cared.

“Arrgh!”

Sam marched out of the hospital. Jack looked after her, wondering if she was going to come back. He hoped that she wasn’t.

Back at the old warehouse, UP 1 was just looking at UP 2.

“You did what?!”

“I ran her over.”

“You idiot! What were you thinking?!”

“I saw her and I just lost it. I guess you could say that I wasn’t thinking.”

“This could mess up the entire plan!” UP 1 took a deep breath “Did she see you?”

“I think so. She looked at me for a few seconds before the car hit her.”

UP 1 started swearing.

“If the police catches us, the blame is on you!”

The police station

Jack walked in the door to the police station. He had been called in because they were starting the investigation. He didn’t want to leave the hospital, but Sally had promised that they would call if there were any news.

“Hey Jack, how are you holding up?” Fitzy asked.

“I’m okay.” Jack lied.

“No, you’re not. I can tell that you’re lying.”

“Okay, I’m a mess.” He confessed.

Fitzy gave him a hug, before McGrath came out of his office and told everyone to get ready. They walked out to the parking lot. McGrath walked over to the place where the car had hit Martha. He waved at Jack, and Jack walked over.

“This is the place?” McGrath asked and pointed at the blood.

Jack took a deep breath. Seeing the blood brought back memories. McGrath saw this and put his hand on Jack’s shoulder.

“I know that this is hard for you, but we need to find the driver.”

“I know, it’s just…”

“Bringing back memories that you have been trying to block out?”

“Yeah.”

“Can you still answer the question?”

“Sure.”

He looked around.

“Yeah, this is the place.”

McGrath signalised to the officers and they came over.

“Start searching the area. I want to see everything you find.” He said to them before he turned to Jack: “You can go back to the hospital if you want to.”

Jack was about to answer when his phone rang.

“Jack Holden.”

“Hi Jack, it’s Sally. They just brought Martha out of theatre 1 and they are going to take an ultrasound.”

Jack took a relieved sigh.

“I’m coming.” He said and started walking towards the car.

“Hey Jack!” Fitzy yelled.

Jack turned around.

“I hope everything goes well.”

“So do I. So do I.”

Jack walked in the door and over to Sally.

“She’s in there. They have been waiting for you.”

“Thanks.”

Jack walked towards the room, and he was about to find out, if he still was going to be a father or not…

Promo: Jack finds out if the baby is still alive. The investigation takes an unexpected twist. Martha wakes up. Can she identify the driver?

I can’t write anything more, before I know what you have decided, so if you could add an answer in your review of this chapter, it would be much appreciated :)

Chapter 10

Jack entered the room and saw Rachel waiting for him. She got up and signalised that he should sit down on the chair that was next to Martha’s bed.

“You do know that there is a possibility that there is no baby anymore?” Rachel asked while she was getting ready for the ultrasound scan. He nodded. He knew about the chance of a dead baby, but he couldn’t think about it. Rachel started checking for a heartbeat. The only sound came from the hallway. Rachel checked upper part of the stomach, but there was no heartbeat to find. She turned around and looked at Jack.

“I’m really sorry, but I don’t think there is anything that is alive in here.”

Jack was hearing what she was saying, but he refused to believe her.

“Don’t give up yet.”

“Jack, the chance of the baby…”

“Just do as I say!”

Rachel went back to checking for heartbeat, and to her surprise, when she got a bit further down on the stomach, a sound filled the room. It was the sound of a beating heart. When that sound hit Jack’s ear, he just smiled. Martha’s body had somehow managed to keep both herself and the baby alive. He took Martha’s hand and kissed it. Rachel was smiling as well. She got up and signalised that she was leaving.

“Thank you.” Jack said with a smile.

“No need to thank me.” She replied and left the room. Jack looked back at Martha. She looked so peaceful. So calm and beautiful. If she could only wake up. He was so caught up with her that he didn’t notice that Tony came in.

“Hi mate. I hear that I’m going to be a grandfather.”

Jack looked up. He had been so busy with Martha and the baby that he had forgot to tell Tony.

“I’m sorry. I should have told you. It’s just with everything that has been going on lately…” He sighed.

“I understand. So… How is the baby doing?”

“It’s fine. We’re all fine…

Jack smiled to Tony. He returned the smile and sat down next to Jack. While Jack was holding Martha’s hand, suddenly, she was squeezing his hand. He looked at her. Were her eyes moving?

“Martha?”

Jack…

He got up and leant over her body. Her eyes were trying to open. He touched her cheek.

Come back to me, Martha!” he whispered. Her eyes were slowly opening. When they were open, she looked at Jack and smiled.

“Dad, go and get a doctor. She’s awake!” he said and looked at Tony, who had been watching them. He was surprised that she had recovered so quickly.

“Dad?!”

“What?”

“We need a doctor…”

“Right”

Tony got up and went to get a doctor. Jack looked at Martha and smiled.

I’m glad you’re back…” he whispered and gave her a soft kiss on the lips. Rachel came in and saw that Martha was awake.

“We’re glad to have you back.” She said and smiled.

“I’m just going to check that everything is all right, and then I’ll leave you to it.”

Jack was still holding Martha’s hand, when his phone rang.

“I should get this.” He said and took the phone out of his pocket. It was Fitzy.

“Jack Holden.”

“Hi, it’s me. You should get down here. There’s something you need to see…”

Outside the police station

Jack got out of his car and slammed the door after him. Fitzy came over to him, and she looked worried.

“This ought to be important. I left Martha’s side for this.”

“It is important. It’s a clue.”

Jack looked confused at Fitzy. Did they know who the driver was?

“A clue? What kind of clue?”

“See for yourself.” Fitzy replied and showed the way. They walked over to McGrath, who was waiting for them.

“Hi, Jack. Is Martha awake yet?”

“Yeah, she is. I was actually about to ask her if she remembered anything from that night.”

“We may not need that.”

“Why not?”

McGrath pointed towards a car that was parked behind them.

“Is this the car?” Jack asked eagerly.

“Yes, but you need to see what’s written on it.”

Jack looked at McGrath and walked over to the car.

“We think the driver wanted us to find the car.” Fitzy said as Jack saw the writing. He went a bit closer and was shocked when he saw what was written:

Tick tock

He could only think of one person who would write that.

“Zoë!” he exclaimed.

Promo: Could Zoë have returned from the dead? Or is it all just a game to fool them, so the real driver can get away?

Archived