Guest allibaz91

Story Title: Here With Me

Type of story: Short/Medium - Two parter

Main Characters: Peter and Leah

BTTB rating: T

Genre: Romance

Does story include spoilers: No

Any warnings: Mild SC

Summary: A Lete fic, set a few nights after their illicit kiss when Peter returned from the city. Leah is still pregnant, and Dan has no idea about her feelings for Peter.

Here With Me

I didn't hear you leave

I wonder how am I still here

Peter threw down his pen in despair. He couldn’t concentrate on his work any more. Small wonder, given that it was after midnight, and he’d been working all day. He wanted sleep. But he knew sleeping was worse, because when he slept, he would dream. And when he dreamt, he thought of things he really shouldn’t be thinking of. How could he be doing this to his own brother again?

And I don't want to move a thing

It might change my memory

Leah climbed out of bed, pulling on her dressing gown. Maybe a hot drink would help her sleep better. She couldn’t seem to rest beside Dan any more – not after what she had done. His own brother! She condemned herself under her breath as she listened to the kettle boil. All she kept thinking about was the last time she had been out here in the middle of the night – committing adultery, she reminded herself forcefully, as memories of that incredible kiss flooded her mind. Why, of all the people she could’ve fallen for, did it have to be Peter?

Oh I am what I am

I'll do what I want

But I can't hide

He really needed to start getting a decent sleep, Peter thought angrily, looking up again to find it was nearly two am. If only there was some way to empty his mind of all these thoughts he shouldn’t have! But any time he saw her, he wanted to hold her. And she was Dan’s wife – she was having his niece or nephew! He felt sick to his stomach when he thought of how hurt Dan would be if he ever knew he was having these feelings. But then, thinking about that kiss … she had definitely felt it too. Which made it even harder to walk away. That was the smart thing to do, he knew that much. But it was far easier said than done.

I won't go

I won't sleep

I can't breathe

Until you're resting here with me

Nothing on the TV, just for a change. Too late at night to wake Rachel and ask her advice – and she was the only one who might have any idea what to do. But she had enough on her plate: walking into a new town and a new life, right in the middle of a cyclone? She didn’t need this dumped on her, too. Leah sighed heavily and hugged her knees, rocking slowly backwards and forwards on the couch. Anything she tried was failing. She couldn’t get Peter out of her head; not during waking or sleeping hours. He was really affecting her.

I won't leave

I can't hide

I cannot be

Peter finally arrived home somewhere in between four and five am. His keys clattered loudly as he dropped them on the worktop, and then skittered over the marble surface onto the floor. He just left them there. But somehow, he couldn’t bring himself to go to bed. Despite his exhaustion, and the fact that he was meant to be working in about four hours, he somehow wasn’t mentally tired enough to sleep. Physically, he was totally drained. Emotionally, a wreck. But not five minutes had gone by since he and Leah had kissed that he hadn’t thought about her, and how much he wanted to be with her. He did know how wrong it was; deep down, he was disgusted; but something wouldn’t let him stop thinking about her. Maybe he had never really stopped loving her at all.

I don't want to call my friends

They might wake me from this dream

It didn’t matter that Dan was asleep next door, or that VJ could wake up any minute – Leah wanted to call Peter; talk this through. She was sure it would only take a few moments to get things sorted out. It was just because she hadn’t spoken to him since it had happened, that she was feeling this way. The awkwardness was setting in. But when she reached for the phone, she knew she was in denial. If she called him, she’d end up fighting with him. Dan might hear. Aside from that, she didn’t want to fight with him. She didn’t think she could handle that, on top of everything else. She got up suddenly. Maybe a walk would help her clear her head.

And I can't leave this bed

Risk forgetting all that's been

Looking at the clock yet again, Peter was mildly surprised to see that it was only just after five now. Time was certainly dragging tonight. He wondered if maybe he would see Leah at the Diner later, if she were working. He might have to stop in for breakfast. He knew he shouldn’t be planning ways to see her, but he just couldn’t help it. She was so amazing – even if she was pregnant. He didn’t care, as long as they could be together. But then, he didn’t want to hurt Dan again … Everything had been so screwed up lately, ever since he had taken the decision to leave the City. Not that he regretted it. Seeing Leah again made it worthwhile.

Oh I am what I am

I'll do what I want

But I can't hide

She didn’t even know where she was going right now. She was just … walking. She had been along the beach, out on the pier, past the Diner and the Surf Club … now she was on a long, deserted road. Trees on one side of her, wild bush land on the other. She should have been afraid, probably. But she wasn’t. If anything happened, Peter would find her. She knew he would. That was part of why she was so confused – Dan had gambled away their savings, and Peter had saved her life. She felt so much safer with him. But he was still Dan’s brother.

I won't go

I won't sleep

I can't breathe

He wanted to go for breakfast at the Diner as soon as possible – but it wouldn’t even be open, Peter knew. But maybe she would be there early to set up … or Dan might be there with her. Which would be the worst thing that could possibly happen. But somehow, he didn’t seem to be able to care right now. He just knew he had to see her, and see her soon. He cared about her so much. And he was convinced Leah cared for him too. It was going to hurt Dan, but surely it was even less fair to keep lying to him? Wasn’t it?

I won't leave

I can't hide

I cannot be

Leah was stuck. She had walked for over an hour, and found herself outside Peter’s apartment. The walk was a bad idea. Should she go in? Maybe they could talk this over, and come to an agreement. But then again, would she be able to control herself? She hadn’t been able to this far, so why now? She should really walk away … but she just couldn’t. She took a deep breath and knocked slowly three times on the door, and waited.

Oh I am what I am

I'll do what I want

But I can't hide

Peter opened the door, not even thinking about how odd it was to have a visitor at six in the morning. After his night, he couldn’t really comment on anybody else’s sleeping habits. And then when he opened the door, he froze. Leah walked in uncertainly past him, and he closed the door after her. They looked into one another’s eyes, breathing heavily. They shouldn’t be here together. Both of them knew it. And yet, somehow, neither one cared. Peter pulled Leah into his arms and kissed her lovingly.

I won't go

I won't sleep

I can't breathe

As the sun crept over the horizon; its first pale rays gleaming through the window; Peter sighed and kissed Leah’s neck. They lay there in his bed, wrapped in one another’s arms, neither of them speaking. They knew they would have to tell Dan later today, but it wasn’t important right now. All that mattered was each other. This was it. This was right. Leah snuggled closer into her lover’s arms and let out a peaceful sigh. She then turned and smiled faintly into his eyes.

“I love you …”

I won't leave

I can't hide

I cannot be

Until you're resting here with me ...

Song: Here With Me by Dido

Please R&R :)

Thanks loads Eli, Abi, Shannon and Chrissie!! :D

Chrissie, I'm not a Lete fan either, believe it or not!! :lol:

This is what we call being afraid of Amy and doing things because she might hurt you!

Career change from what, exactly? Currently I'm in school and ..... well, plotting to take over the world with you, Chrissie :ph34r:

Anyway, blame Apples and Lil, because this is no longer a oneshot <_<

So here's part 2 (personally, I think it makes more sense as a sequel-oneshot, but there will be several, so they can all go in the one thread)

Surf's Up

The waves are pounding on the sand tonight

I wanna take your hand and make it feel so right

You know I'm ready and I'll never be like this again

“Do you think he’s missed you yet?” Peter asked Leah softly. She sighed, although not entirely unhappily, and held him close to her.

“Maybe,” she said quietly. “But he’ll find out soon enough, I guess …”

“Assuming you still want to tell him, that is.”

“All I want is to be with you, Pete. I told you already. I love you.”

And the sky is trembling and the moon is pale

We're on the edge of forever and we're never gonna fail

I know you're ready and we're running on the back of the whale

“I love you too,” Peter told her, smiling. She leaned up and kissed him passionately, and he kissed her back for several long, tender moments. They both just wanted to lie there together forever, but they couldn’t. The hard part hadn’t come yet. Telling Dan would destroy him; they both knew it; but they had to be honest with him, and themselves, about how they felt. They couldn’t deny the attraction any more.

And my body's burning like a naked wire

I wanna turn on the juice; I wanna fall in the fire

I wanna drown in the ocean and the bottomless sea

I wanna give you what I'm hoping you'll be giving to me

The phone began to ring. Peter got up regretfully to answer it, leaving Leah in bed.

“Hello?” he said. “Dan, hey … Leah? No, not this morning, mate, sorry” – he shot a guilty look at her – “when did she go out? Uh, if I see her, I’ll tell her you called. Yeah, bye.”

He hung up and sighed aloud. Leah climbed out of bed and hugged him tight.

“God, Dan’s going to hate you, isn’t he?” she asked him sadly. He half-smiled.

“I’d be lucky to get hatred,” he joked. “He’ll never speak to me again.”

“I’m so sorry it’s all come down to this,” she said. “I know how much he means to you.”

“Yeah, he does,” Peter admitted. “But you mean more.”

And when the waves are pounding on the sand tonight

I wanna take your hand and make it good and make it right

And now the sky is trembling and the moon is pale

We're on the edge of forever and we're never gonna fail, no

Leah kissed him lovingly again, and he held her close to him.

“When should we tell him?” he asked her slowly, looking into her eyes. She gulped.

“We’ll need to do it this morning,” she sighed, “before work. I’ll do it, if you like.”

“No way,” he insisted. “We’re in this together. And I’ll be there the whole way.”

“Thank you,” she said gratefully, hugging him again.

How hard?

How hard?

How hard do I gotta try?

Just over half an hour later, they stood outside Leah’s kitchen door. They could hear Dan getting the boys ready for school inside. Peter squeezed Leah’s hand tightly, silently letting her know he was here for her, and she smiled. She then pushed open the door.

“Hey, there you are!” Dan hurried through and grinned bemusedly at his brother. “Hey, Pete, what brings you over this early? Not hoping for a free breakfast, are you?”

“Dan, you’d better sit down, mate,” Peter said gravely. “We have to tell you something.”

“Boys, go wait for Dad in the car, okay?” Leah said quickly, and Ryan took VJ out of the room. Dan sat down at the table, looking up at her and Peter perplexedly.

“What’s going on, guys?”

Surf's up

Surf's up

Surf's up and so am I

Surf's up and so am I

“We never meant for any of this to happen,” Leah tried to explain. “And we feel awful!”

“Yeah, you feel so awful you went ahead and cheated on me anyway!” Dan screamed. “And with my own brother, too! Of all the people, Leah, why did it have to be him?! I mean, I’ve come to expect this from him, but I thought I could trust you!”

“Dan, we really are so sorry,” Peter told him. Dan turned around and punched his older brother in the face, sending him flying to the ground. Leah ran instinctively to Peter’s side.

And my body's burning like a naked wire

I wanna turn on the juice; I wanna fall in the fire

I'm gonna drown in the ocean and the bottomless sea

I wanna give you what I'm hoping you'll be giving to me

“I am never going to forgive you for this, do you hear me?!” Dan shouted. “I should have known better than to trust you again! You’ll never change – all you ever think about it yourself! It doesn’t matter what I want or how it hurts me, as long as you’re happy!”

“Dan, don’t do this,” Peter said, getting to his feet, but Dan swung for him again – this time, he only just missed, as Peter managed to duck in the nick of time.

“Dan, stop!!” Leah cried, upset. Dan whirled on her next, his face purple now.

“And what are you going to tell the boys?” he challenged her. “How are you going to explain yourself to your son – what were you going to tell Ryan, for God’s sakes?!”

“I don’t know!” she shouted. “We weren’t thinking about all that!”

And when the waves are pounding on the sand tonight

I wanna take your hand and make it good and make it right

And now the sky is trembling, the moon is pale

We're on the edge of forever and we're never gonna fail, no

“How long?” Dan asked suddenly. Leah and Peter looked at one another unsurely.

“HOW LONG?!?” he repeated, his voice louder than it had been all day.

“We’ve only decided today that we can’t hide our feelings any longer,” Leah squeaked, shaking uncontrollably. She was frightened – she’d never seen Dan like this.

“Look, I don’t care how angry you are, you have to stop scaring her!” Peter yelled, coming suddenly to her defence. “Take it out on me, but she’s terrified, Dan, look at her!”

“You’re right – this is your fault! I can’t believe you’d do this to me again! I honestly believed you’d changed – I thought you gave a damn about me, but I was wrong!”

“Dan, you’re not wrong!” All Peter wanted was for his brother to listen to him.

How hard?

How hard?

How hard do I gotta try?

“Just forget it!” Dan shouted, the tears streaming down his face. “Forget it!”

Before either of them could stop him, he had run from the house, and a moment later they heard his car pulling away and screeching along the road. Leah sobbed as Peter pulled her into his arms, stroking her hair softly and whispering comforting words in her ear.

“He really does hate us, doesn’t he?” she whispered, distraught. He sighed.

“Yeah, I think maybe he does,” admitted Peter. “If it bothers you this much … I mean, I know we’ve told him now, but you can still get out of this if you want to.” Leah looked up at him, stunned.

I want only your love!

“Peter, I love you,” she told him, sniffling a little in an attempt to stop the tears.

“And I love you too,” he reminded her quickly. “But, Dan …”

“Is important to both of us. But can we really keep living in denial?”

“No, but …”

“But, nothing! Peter, anybody would think you didn’t want us to be together!”

Surf's up

I need it so bad!

Surf's up

I need it so bad!

“Leah, how can you even question that?” he said quietly, hugging her tight.

“You keep saying this stuff about how, if it hurts Dan then maybe we shouldn’t, and if I’m unsure we can stop – you’re the only one that sounds unsure here, Pete.”

“No, I’m not, I just … I’ve had too many screwed-up relationships to risk losing my brother on another one. And I don’t think we will be screwed up, at all, but I can’t take the chance that you might change your mind about this. I just have to be sure.”

“Well I am sure,” Leah told him. “No matter what. We’re together now. Okay?”

“Okay,” Peter agreed, and he kissed her tenderly.

Surf's up and so am I

I'm gonna give you some love

“You know we’re going to have a major fight on our hands when it comes to the baby, right?” Leah said as they lay on the couch together, her with her head in his lap.

“It’s still Dan’s baby, and I accept that,” Peter replied soothingly. “I mean, I’ll love him or her as if they were my own, because they’ll be a part of you. But I hope Dan will at least give me a chance to tell him I’m not trying to step on his toes there.”

“I doubt he will,” she said sadly. “I wish there was an easy answer to all this …”

“Hey, whatever happens, we’ll get through it,” he promised, leaning over and kissing her forehead lovingly. “This is it, you know. You’re never getting rid of me.”

“Is that a promise?” she asked him. He responded by kissing her passionately.

“It’s a guarantee.”

Surf's up and so am I

And so am I

And so am I

And so am I …

Song for part 2 - Surf's Up by Jim Steinman

:)

Comments

Archived