Peter Baker's Lost Love

Guest Mrs Bishop

Story Title: Peter Baker's Lost Love

Type of story: Short/Medium fiction

Main Characters: Peter Baker, Dan Baker, Irene Roberts, Alf Stewart. Drew Curtis, Lorraine Curtis

BTTB Rating: G

Genre: Romance

Does story include spoilers: No

Any Warnings: SC,V/D, L

Summary: The high school sweetheart of Peter Baker has come to the bay after finding out the father of her son has been killed.

Peter Baker's Lost Love

Lorraine walked into the diner not knowing what she was going to find or who she would see,Lorraine went to the counter,"yes Irene ask,swhat can i get you.

Lorraine replyed "she was looking for Andrew Curtis, I was told he was living here in the bay with Dan Baker his uncle,"sorrry Lorraine said i,am his mother,Lorraine held out a well manicured hand Irene shook it,Lorraine went on to say she had riceved a letter saying Peter had been killed in a bomb blast,and Dan Baker was looking afterer Andrew her son.

Lorraine was lost in her own train of thoughts, it had been sixteen years since she was last here she went on to say and now she really did,nt quite np what to expect,Peter and I were at high school together I,am deeply in shock.

about Peter,but I am longing to see my son once again. Irene snapped her back to reallity.

The woman standing in front of her looked skocked, "my god you dont no Peter is still alive,and is here in the bay.

Alf" Irene yells"with gusto Alf came from the diner kitchen,he clasp eyes on Lorraine,"strewth youre a blast from the past."

Lorraine replyed ,"I only came because I thought Andrew was on his own, I found a letter by accident in my father,s

belongins,is there any chanceI can see Andrew."

Mr Stewart looked at Lorraine he knew the story about Lorraine and Peter he said he would go and see if he could find Dan or Peter that Lorraine was back in the bay.

Lorraine went back to her own thoughts, what was she going to find Peter still alive, would he reconise her after all this time,? Irene pulled her back with a jolt,"come and sit down and i will bring you a coffee over, Lorraine smiled

I think i could do with something stronger."Lorraine commented,with that Lorraine went and sat at a booth.

Out of her purse she pulled a old crumpled photo ,of her and Peter the love of her life, would he ? could he still be her,s?

Lorraine just sat in silence thinking when Irene came and sat with her,Tell me if iam sticking me bib in but if youre

from the uk how come Drew is Ausralian?Lorraine looked confused and asked who Drew was, Irene replyed that is what he likes to be called, and that he prefered it to his given name of Anrew,Lorraine smiled yes i like it.

, =======================================================================

Would Peter remember?

Lorraine sat in the booth for some time time thinking with Irene looking on,Irene asked "if Lorraine minded if she whent into the kitchen"

"No Lorraine said you dont want burnt muffins" with that Irene dissapered leaving Lorraine to her own thoughts once again.

Going very misty eyed Lorraine vowed she would not cry, she had cryed heaps when her father had taken her away back to England, with out being able to say good bye to her one and only love Peter,god kmowes what he had thought, she dried her eyes knowing people were looking at her,Irene came back and sat with her, by bthis time Lorraine had pulled her self together.

Irene spoke and " asked about Drew,"Lorraine told Irene the events leading up to Drews birth and what she and Peter had planned to do , they were going to elope after the baby was born" "but as she said my father had other ideas,the plan was for Drew to be put up for addoption, no way was i having that"Lorraine said "I wrote every day to Peter care of his mothers address even birthday cards, but I never hear a word, there wasnt a day whent by when she never thought about Peter or her son."

Irene sat in silence thinking how cruel Lorraine,s father had been,"Irene said i,am so sorry no wonder youre in a state."

All of a sudden Peter came rushing into the diner, quite out of breath, he looked stunned after all this time his girl had come back to him.

Lorraine took one look at Peter she did,nt know wheather to stand or remain sitting but she did,nt have any thing to worry about ,because all Peter did was to wrap his arm,s around her as if she had never been way.

Peter could,nt stop kissing Lorraine "I Thought I had lost you for good "Lorraine kept saying "sorry that she never said good bye all thoes years ago, but you know what my father was like"

"Yes Peter agreed he was a bit of a tyrant, Lorraine agreed "yes that was my dad" Peter pushed Lorraine slightly

"you havent change you,re still my gal.After they kissed again Dan came into the diner having bin told by Alf that

Lorraine was in the diner, and she wanted to see Drew.

Dan could,nt believehis eye,s he had heard about Lorraine but he had,nt relised how lovley she was,

er! hum! Dan coughed they both turned round "oh Dan Peter said"this is Lorraine Drew,s mopther.

Promo

Will Peter cancel the wedding

Will Amanda try to spoil thing,s

Lorraine sat in the booth for some time time thinking with Irene looking on,Irene asked "if Lorraine minded if she whent into the kitchen"

"No Lorraine said you dont want burnt muffins" with that Irene dissapered leaving Lorraine to her own thoughts once again.

Going very misty eyed Lorraine vowed she would not cry, she had cryed heaps when her father had taken her away back to England, with out being able to say good bye to her one and only love Peter,god kmowes what he had thought, she dried her eyes knowing people were looking at her,Irene came back and sat with her, by bthis time Lorraine had pulled her self together.

Irene spoke and " asked about Drew,"Lorraine told Irene the events leading up to Drews birth and what she and Peter had planned to do , they were going to elope after the baby was born" "but as she said my father had other ideas,the plan was for Drew to be put up for addoption, no way was i having that"Lorraine said "I wrote every day to Peter care of his mothers address even birthday cards, but I never hear a word, there wasnt a day whent by when she never thought about Peter or her son."

Irene sat in silence thinking how cruel Lorraine,s father had been,"Irene said i,am so sorry no wonder youre in a state."

All of a sudden Peter came rushing into the diner, quite out of breath, he looked stunned after all this time his girl had come back to him.

Lorraine took one look at Peter she did,nt know wheather to stand or remain sitting but she did,nt have any thing to worry about ,because all Peter did was to wrap his arm,s around her as if she had never been way.

Peter could,nt stop kissing Lorraine "I Thought I had lost you for good "Lorraine kept saying "sorry that she never said good bye all thoes years ago, but you know what my father was like"

"Yes Peter agreed he was a bit of a tyrant, Lorraine agreed "yes that was my dad" Peter pushed Lorraine slightly

"you havent change you,re still my gal.After they kissed again Dan came into the diner having bin told by Alf that

Dan could,nt believehis eye,s he had heard about Lorraine but he had,nt relised how lovley she was,

er! hum! Dan coughed they both turned round "oh Dan Peter said"this is Lorraine Drew,s mopther.

Promo

Chapter Three

Peter got up and said to Dan "do,nt leave her Dan, take Lorraine to youre,s but do not let her out of you,re sight "

Lorraine had never heard such urgency in his voice, with that Peter said he wouldnt be long dont worry Dan will take care of you ".Peter kissed Lorraine again" this wont take long"

Dan could see the love in his brother,s eye,s never before had he seen him glow with pride at his long lost girl coming back to the bay for what ever reason.

Dan said to Lorraine "come on I,ll take you to my place, at least you will be in comfort." Lorraine said "thank you"

and so they left the diner but not before she held Irene and "thanked her for all her help and comfort".

Lorraine and Dan walked slowly out of the diner, "why have you come " Lorraine explained about the letter her fatherhad kept from her", "oh I see "said Dan "so you believed Pete to be dead ""yes Lorraine replyed, you cant imagine how I felt how could my father do a thing like this" Dan did,nt know a lot about the event,s of years ago

all he knew was that Pete had come home from school saying "Lorraine,s gone and I dont know where.

Peter,s mother knew but wasnt saying , all she said "well you can get on with you own life now ,"but the baby mum

what about the baby".

Dan found Lorraine had started to cry once again "now now "Dan said I have a feling things will work out just fine"

I,am sorry Lorraine said" but all I want is Peter and Drew to be happy", Dan had a funny feeling he knew where Pete had gone round to Amanda,s Dan thought to him self there was not going to be a wedding now.

They arrived at Dan,s he said "come in meet Lea my wife", Lorraine held out her hand to shake Lea,s hand ,but

dot the shock of her life Lea squeezed her tightly, "pleased to meet you "Lea said.

Lorraine just stood there rather dazed ,"er pleased to meet you Lea nice home you have" Lorraine walked over to where all the photos were "who,s this little man "picking up a photo of VJ" oh he,s mine Lea said from my first

marrage only he died in a fire"oh Iam sorry to here that "replyed Lorraine.

With that Lorraine sat down she looked at Dan will Pete be long I do really want to see Drew.Lea looked from Lorraine to Dan, she was confused, Dan explained Lorraine was Drew,s real mom.

Lea sat down with a thud" Drew,s mother " "yes Peter and I were high school sweehearts hence Drew, Lea put her head in her hand,s she couldnt believe what she was hearing, Dan told Lea the whole story about Pete and Lorrie

every thing fell into place,Lea put a hand on Lorraine,s "Iam so sorry I did,nt know."Lea went to put the kettle on Dan followed her into the kitchen "please treat her well Lea she,s been through a lot beileveing Pete was dead ,

and now she has to confront Drew"

Just at that moment Drew came walking in "howdy folks "Drew said he looked at there faces "whats up",

Dan spoke "gosh I wish Pete was here erm Drew there is some one to see you.

Promo

How will Drew react

Promo

Chapter Three

Peter got up and said to Dan "do,nt leave her Dan, take Lorraine to youre,s but do not let her out of you,re sight "

Lorraine had never heard such urgency in his voice, with that Peter said he wouldnt be long dont worry Dan will take care of you ".Peter kissed Lorraine again" this wont take long"

Dan could see the love in his brother,s eye,s never before had he seen him glow with pride at his long lost girl coming back to the bay for what ever reason.

Dan said to Lorraine "come on I,ll take you to my place, at least you will be in comfort." Lorraine said "thank you"

and so they left the diner but not before she held Irene and "thanked her for all her help and comfort".

Lorraine and Dan walked slowly out of the diner, "why have you come " Lorraine explained about the letter her fatherhad kept from her", "oh I see "said Dan "so you believed Pete to be dead ""yes Lorraine replyed, you cant imagine how I felt how could my father do a thing like this" Dan did,nt know a lot about the event,s of years ago

all he knew was that Pete had come home from school saying "Lorraine,s gone and I dont know where.

Peter,s mother knew but wasnt saying , all she said "well you can get on with you own life now ,"but the baby mum

what about the baby".

Dan found Lorraine had started to cry once again "now now "Dan said I have a feling things will work out just fine"

I,am sorry Lorraine said" but all I want is Peter and Drew to be happy", Dan had a funny feeling he knew where Pete had gone round to Amanda,s Dan thought to him self there was not going to be a wedding now.

They arrived at Dan,s he said "come in meet Lea my wife", Lorraine held out her hand to shake Lea,s hand ,but

dot the shock of her life Lea squeezed her tightly, "pleased to meet you "Lea said.

Lorraine just stood there rather dazed ,"er pleased to meet you Lea nice home you have" Lorraine walked over to where all the photos were "who,s this little man "picking up a photo of VJ" oh he,s mine Lea said from my first

marrage only he died in a fire"oh Iam sorry to here that "replyed Lorraine.

With that Lorraine sat down she looked at Dan will Pete be long I do really want to see Drew.Lea looked from Lorraine to Dan, she was confused, Dan explained Lorraine was Drew,s real mom.

Lea sat down with a thud" Drew,s mother " "yes Peter and I were high school sweehearts hence Drew, Lea put her head in her hand,s she couldnt believe what she was hearing, Dan told Lea the whole story about Pete and Lorrie

every thing fell into place,Lea put a hand on Lorraine,s "Iam so sorry I did,nt know."Lea went to put the kettle on Dan followed her into the kitchen "please treat her well Lea she,s been through a lot beileveing Pete was dead ,

and now she has to confront Drew"

Just at that moment Drew came walking in "howdy folks "Drew said he looked at there faces "whats up",

Dan spoke "gosh I wish Pete was here erm Drew there is some one to see you.

Promo

How will Drew react

Chapter four

Drew walkewd into the living room snd stopped "mum" he said "how did you get here"Lorraine just could,nt grasp

how tall and good looking her son had grown into, I recived a letter from of you,re foster mother telling me you had left the school that youre dad had found for you,and that youre father had been killed in a bomb blast. but like every thing else my father had kept the letter from me. Drew smiled "youre dad interceptedyoure letters."

"yes"Lorraine said my father dd,nt want youre father and me getting back together let alone for me to see you again"

Iam sorry I wished youre dad was here he would tell you as well "

with that Peter walked through the back door of Dan and Lea,s "hello son hope you are keeping youre mom company" Drew shrugged his shoulder,s "why" "where has she been for me?"Peter took hold of Drew by his shoulder,s and reminded" him that his attitude was going to get him into a lot of trouble. if he did,nt stop and listen to people when thay were talking to him." after all he and Lorraine were trying to tell him what happened.

Drew sat down and sighed,"ok what is so important I must listen to more bull , from you and her"

"firstly i must add this is not new to me a minuet ago you were with Amanda"now what?

Peter sighed and looked to Lorraine he knew it would,nt be easy for Drew after all he,d been through a lot in the last few month,s ,it must seem as no one could make up there mind,s and who they wanted in a relation ship.

Dan and Lea said "they would go out to the diner to give space so Pete and Lorraine could talk to Drew".

with out being interrupted".

Peter thanked his brother as they had a lot to tell Drew and it was,nt going to be easy,

With Dan and Lea gone Peter asked Drew if he would come and sit by his mother on the sofa, Pete thrust his hand,s in to his trouser pocket,s and thought where the hell did they start. Lorraine could see Peter struggling

and thought perhaps it would be better coming from her, after all she was the one who had turned up at the diner that after noon asking for Drew?" because of that dam letter her father had kepr from her.

Peter said no it was up to both of them to explain what had happened in the past and Drew would have to sit there

and listen. Peter started to tell Drew how he and Lorraine were together in high school, yes Drew said i know that ,

his dad turned round .just shut up and listen Drew. Drew lowered his head even Lorrain had,nt heard Peter speak

like that before, his voice was normally so controlled, she had never heard him raise his voice not even at school.

she felt drawn to Drew and just wanted to cuddle him but she knew that was impossible at that precise moment,

Peter said he was sorry for raising his voice Drew raised his head Lorraine could see the tears in his eye,s, Iam sorry dad carry on Iam listing.I gather thing,s were impossible for you and mom.

Peter said sure near dam impossible but he and Lorraine had worked every thing out, we had it arranged that after the baby was born he and his mom were going to elope. there was one time he had managed to get in to see youre mom after you were born they had arranged he would come back the next day and fetch Drew,s mom before her dad got wind what was going on they were both excited about this arrangement Peter whent on to say I kissed youre mom goodnight plus you you scrawny little thing that you were ,believe me I was never so happier than having a son who was going to bear my name.but when I got to the hospital the next day youre mom,s room was empty .so I whent and asked one of the nurses, she looked shocked "shes gone her fathers been and fetched her."

I didnt know where he had gne with youre mom then a couple of years ago you Drew got intouch wanting to see me up till then I had,nt known where you were.

Lorraine aske d did you not reiceve any of my letters Peter i sent them care of you,re mom,s address.

Peter looked skocked no I just thought you had forgotten Inever reiceved one letter from you Iam so sorr,Lorraine said. Lorraine asked Peter if he thought his mom was in on this thing to keep them appart.

Promo

will Peter find the letters

will his mother find out Lorraine,s back

Chapter Five

Drew stood uDidn’t mind after all he ahead a lot to take in.p and asked to be excused as he wanted to go to bed, his father said “no he or his mother

iven ,

Drew lent towards his and kissed her on the cheek, night mom pleased you’re here “see you in the morning” he moved towards the door and shouted to his dad “night dad see you in the morning”mother

Peter replied night son have a good sleep“. with that Drew was gone to his room .

Peter came and sat by Lorraine asking if she was ok ,yes she said just thinking all the lad has to take in I,am surprised he can still hold his head up with all that information he’s been given Peter agreed “but he had to be told "?

Pete smiled "you know he’s a lot like you " in so many way’s , Lorraine said get away with you Pete kissed her “would you like a cup of tea “he asked Lorraine exclaimed make tea ! I,llhave yoiu know I,am the best tea maker in summer bay “ they both laughed .As Pete went into the kitchen.Lorraine sat she thought to herself how lucky she was not only you find her son but her love aswell.Peter had meant the world to her and she didn’t think she could be happy again.

Peter came in with the tea ,“I’ve found some cakes as well “he remarked “so don’t tell me you’re on a diet or watching you,re figure because I wont believe you” and the y both once again burst out laughing

! My sides are hurting with all this laughing” she remarked.

Lorraine caught hold of his face and started to kiss all round his cheeks ,and lips so hard and Pete looked at her and pulled her to him “please don’t leave me again I dont think Ican live without you. they just kept kissing till they nearly had know breath , I love you Pete said Lorraine and i,am not goingany ware not if you do,nt want me to. Lorraine put a finger cross his mouth shush she said nothing is going you take me away .from you.

.Drew popped his head round the corner of the door to the living room err hum excuse me but I,am just getting a drink of water, “ok “his dad said “carry on “once again peter turned to Lorraine they didn’t realise Drew was watching them he thought how happy they seemed and he thought perhaps this at long last ,was the last of Amanda. to travel half way round the world to find him.Drewsat on his bed his mom had take the time to come half way round the world to find him he went to his room he , him self he was quite happy because because it showed she was,nt selfish after all.Pete put his arm round Lorraine and squeezed her tightly aia love you I realy do love you, Lorraine looked up into his eye,s I love you too I allwsys have.

Lorraine covered his mouth with hers kissing him all the time , she pulled away" what about the letters she asked

Pete said he,d never got them but he certanly was going to find out about them in the morning

All of a sidden pete got up "come on let,s go to bed "Lorraine held back "come on they wont mind you sure ?

come on before they get back and want to know all the in,s and out,s, pete indicated to his room Lorraine looked into his eye,s yes she said this is the man I want to spend my life with.

chapter 6

-----------------

Lorraine woke early the next morning her tried to focus on items in the room, she looked towards the window

suddenly she thought ware am I? she looked around the room and focused on a photo on a chest of draws

she could,nt make who was in the photo, then she heard a gentle snoring, turning her head in the direction of the sound she relised it was Peter lying next to her.

How come I,ve ended up in pete,s bed? thing,s just would,nt register, she told her self she did,nt have any think

to drink the night before, then all of a sudden she rembered,o.m.g. she thought what have I done?.

Lorraine turned towards Peter sleeping like a baby,and kissed him gently on the fore head.

Peter stired a little and moaned " hum thats nice do it again."

Lorraine jumped "I did,nt relise you were awake"

Peter slipped his hand under her waistslip "oh yes i,m awake and you young lady can just lye down again"

m,m Lorraine started quietly moaning, "what if Dan or Lea come in?,

They wont" Peter said" anyway they will knock the door " "what about Drew" "shut up and let me kiss you and stop worring".

They snuggled together kissing ,Lorraine excepted Peter,s urgent tounge searching her mouth, she responded

with all her might, she wanted him to love her all the way.

=============================

Drew was in the kitchen eating his breakfast that Lea had done for him,

"wonder if dad or mom want any think to eat or drink "he said ,

Dan overheard and said" leave youre mom and dad alone" he replied, they will get food when there hungry"

Drew smiled "yea right this time tomorrow" he left the table ,turned to his uncle Dan if they should enquire i,ll be at the surf club.,then with a twinkle in his eye,s Drew left.the house humming to him self.

=======================================

Dan looked at Lea and niticed the scowl on her face, "what is the problem now" he asked?

Lea shrugged her shoulders "oh I do,nt know , what do we know about her"?

"Lorraine you mean" Dan said "yea "replied Lea "why has she turned up now".

"dont you think that you have to wait and see what they have to say before you condem her",

Lea was facing the kitchen sink she thought to her self Peter could have been her,s,

Lorraine emerged into the kitchen, "sorry that we,ve over slept", Peter came and stood behind her , he noticed

the look on Lea,s face , but took no notice he thought she had her chance now no one was going to take his true love away.

================================

"Dan" Peter said "have you got a key to mom,s place?"

"yes Dan said "why?

!Iwould like to go over there to search fore some letters that Lorraine sent to me and never recieved".

"we,ll go to day "Dan replied , "we can be there and back in a day"

"ok "Peter said" let me know when youre ready and we,ll go the sooner we make a move the sooner we can get back". Dan looked at his brother and knew this was some thing he had to do .

With the men gone Lea started to clear the breakfast thing,s away, and Lorraine went to get dressed,

Lea went into dreamy moad thinking of the time when Pete had first come to the bay, ah well ca,nt dwell on the past ,

Lorraine made her jump asking "if there was any thing she could do ", Lea turned "know thank,s you go and sit down in the living room",

Lorraine walked up to the photograph,s and picked up one of Dan and Lea,s wedding with Peter on the photo,

how handsome he looked and a warm glow came over her,

Lea came in with two cups of coffee and sat at the table, Lorraine joned her "Ihope you did,nt mind me looking at the pictures you have up".

"not at all "Lea said "tell me how close where you and Pete"?

Lorraine looked "you think i,am taking him for a ride well I,m not , "its very hard for me over the years knowing that i had a son in Australia you dont know how many night,s i,ve cryed waiting and praying to get back here ",

Lea smiled "i,am so sorry I did,mt relise it must have really broken you up " yes"Lorraine commented

Lea explained to Lorraine how thing,s had gotten out of hand with all that had gone on and she couldnt help feeling protective towards her brother inlaw".

Lorraine put her hand on Lea,s "Iknow you would,nt let any harm come to any of them including Drew," but I love Pete I really do, plus i,ve found my son and I certanly do,nt want to hurt either of them.

Will Peter find the letters

Will Pete,s mom intervene

Chapter 7

Lorraine sat for a while after Lea had gone to work, thinking of what she should do wheather to chicken out and leave or stay, perhaps her arriving in the bay was,nt a good Idea, she told her self not to be silly and to go for a walk

that would clear her head and helpt to make up her mind.

============================================

She put a cardigan on and left the house remembering Lea had said "not to get her self lost",

hum whitch way shall i go,? this way I think and with that she headed in the direction of the surf club,with in a few minuets Lorraine was joined by Irene.

I thought it was you" Irene said with a grin on her face "where,s Peter"?

"he and Dan have gone to the city. Ijust hope they are ok"" sure they will" Irene replied "I gather Pete,s gone looking

for those letters you wrote".

"yes Lorraine said "I hope his mother dosent decide to come and pay a visit I think that would put the icing on the cake if she did".

Irene looked her face saying it all "Igather from that remark you and she never got on"

hum Lorraine quirked "she thought I wasent good enough for her son or so she thought

Irene put her arm through Lorraine,s "do,nt you worry I ca,nt immagine Pete letting her get any where near you,

and in any case you both are older now".

=================================

Lorrraine looked at Irene "have you ever met pete,s mother talk about the wicked witch of the west" and she started laughing "oh good grief Isound awful do,nt I",

Irene giggled "i,ve never met any one who enjoyed there mother in law,s company, oh flippin ek i,m jumping the gun a bit you and Pete ar,nt even married"?

Lorraine asked again had she met Pete,s mom "yes I met her when Dan and Lea got married but I did,nt say a lot to her just a polite hello and how are you but I could see things were strained between her and Pete even then,

but as I said I did,nt take any more notice after that".

===========================================

By the time two women had finished there conservation they were nearing the diner, Lorraine could see Drew

he turned and waved" hi mom" Drew said hello Irene"with a cheeky grin on his face,"you no Lorraine you,ve got a lovely boy there he,ll break some girls heart one day".

Lorraine smiled "yep you could be right just like his dad", "goin for a coffee " Drew said "why "replied Lorraine I suppose you want a drink as well",

Drew came and gave his mom a squeese "well you do love me "?

Lorraine clipped his ear "go on then it,s a sign youre dad,s not around".

They walked into the diner, Lea saw them come in "hello and what can I get for you"?

Coffee for me please"Lorraine said ,and i,ll have an o.j please Drew replied,

"come on let,s go and sit down. Lorraine did as she was told, waiting for her coffee, Lea came with Drew,s o.j and sat by Drew.

"you ok Lorraine you look rather peeky, accually i thought you would have gone back to bed yesterday was a big day for you"

Lorraine said she was ok just waiting for the boy,s to come back frome the city "how long do you think they will be"?.

Lea thought they would,nt be that long it all depends on the traffic. and of couse pete dosent like going to his mothers, the gulf between them is even wider now so just hope for the best,"

Lorraine wouldnt let Pete,s mom put her off again she,d had enough of her father,

Drew sat looking and listening to all that had been said "she,s not that bad is she "?

both Lorraine and Lea looked at each other, she shrugged her shoulders "youve not met her then"? Lorraine said

"ok Drew said and left it at that, perhaps it might be best that you ask youre dad when he get,s back.

"do you mind if I go and see my mates" Drew asked his mom, no of course not you go and enjoy youre self.

any case youre dad and Dan will be back soon.

Lorraine sat for a while longer deep in thought, when Dan and Pete burst through the door of the diner

Pete put a box on the table makeing Lorraine jumped "gosh do,nt do thing,s like that" she looked at Pete,s face I gather thoes are the letters"?Pete sat down opposit "yep"

"and"?

"you were right she tried to keep them from me and because I had left home and went to the city she thought that was the end of you and me. but when you started sending the letters she wasent quite sure what to do so she put them in a box I have,nt had chance to looke at them yet".

--========================

Lorraine took the box and removed the lid and right on top was a valentine,s card that shed sent this year,

she picked it out for Pete to read in side the card it was covered in heart,s with kissesand the wordsI love you Pete with all my heart please please reply.

Lorraine put her head down again crying ,Peter came and sat next to her putting his arme around her hugging her tightly "come on let,s go home we can be in private for a while no one to disturb us,

Peter whispered in her ear I love you very much and I intend to show you how much".

Chapter 8

========

As Peter and Lorraine pulled up outside Dan and Lea,s house they noticed Noleen and Kevin,s car Peter,s perent,s

Lorraine looked at Pete and let out a rather big sigh, "oh dear what now"?.

Peter took hold of Lorraine,s hand "come on we have nothing to hide".

They both got out of the car to be met by Peter,s mother Noleen and his father Kevin,

Noleen took one look at Lorraine put a hand to her mouth and started crying, Lorraine frowned and looked to ward,s Peter, he shrugged his shoulder,s in disbelieve.

Lorraine kissed Noleen on the cheek said it was nice to see them again as politely as she could.

Noleen put a arm round Lorraine"I,m so sorry she said we thought we were doing the right thing at the time both of you were to young to be perent,s.

==========================================

"I dont know what to say but one thing I,m in love with Pete I all way,s have been", Peter chirped in" come on let,s go inside we cant talk out here."

Lorraine went to put the kettle on to make tea, whilst Peter took his mom and dad into the living room,

Lorraine heard raised voices oh no I dont need this neither dose Pete,she walked into the living room all went

quiet,"please dont stop on my account let,s hear what you have to say."

Noleen admitted knowing that Lorraine was back but hadnt bargained for her turning up in the bay,

"no"! and I suppose you wanted me to forget I had a son here in Australia, I know my father was hoping but hey !I,m back and I,m staying, she looked at Pete and he agreed Lorraine wasent going any were.

===========================

"what are you going to do Kevin asked,

"what do you mean replied Peter,

"well are you going to get married? Peter looked at Lorraine "you know that,s a good idea",

Lorraine,s eyes widened she couldent believe what she was hearng,

I"! "hum! "oh" was all she could come out with, err I must go and make the tea", with that she disappeared

into the kitchen,

Peter followed her "dont you want to get married "he asked.

"yes of course I do but that was a little bit out of the blue" I want you for all the right reason,s and you havent asked me".

With that Peter went down on one knee taking Lorraine,s hand in his he looked up at her Lorraine Joyce Curtis

will you do me the honnor of marrying me and becoming my wife".

Lorraine looked with tears in her eye,s "yes she raplyed "yes I will", Peter stood up and wrapped his arms around Lorraine tightly and they just stood there kissing, hey is any one making tea came a voice and as they both turned

they came face to face with Peter,s perent,s Lea Dan and Drew who were clapping them,

Dan smirked and about time I didnt think you would ever pop the question.

Chapter 9

Peter decided that he and lorraine needed some time to them selves so arranged for himself and Lorraine to go out for a meal,

"Hope you dont mind guys but I think Lorraine and I need to be on our own".

The family agreed but as Pete was following Lorraine into the bedroom Dan caught hold of his brothers sleeve,

"Mate dont you want to celabrate your engagement",

"Sure Petersaid " but some other time lets face it Lorraine and I have some catching up to do ,we need to be alone.

"ok Dan said "if thats the way you want but you know what mom and dad are like",

"yea ok mate leave mom and dad to me I,ll have a word and we,ll arrange a party some other time".

Peter caught hold of Lorraine and turned her to him "happy"he asked?

"yes very happy I do love you Peter Kevin Baker and I always will, I will never let you go".

There was a gentle tap on the door, Peter opened it to find his mom standing there,

Son me and your dad understand so we are going back to the city but will be back for your party, but we both want to wish you both all the happiness in the world and I hope one day you can for give me.

Lorraine gave her future mother inlaw a hug and kissed her on the cheek as she did so Noleen said look after him and we will see you soon.

Peter shut the door once again "now where were we ah yes he kissed Lorraine passionatly as they both fell on the bed, mm Peter moaned now this is what I call getting to know my gal."

Lorraine just lay there as Peter looked down "are you staying ther or are you coming for that meal "?,Lorraine

lifted her self up on one elbow "do we have to "?,

Peter lent into her kissed her on the tip of her nose "yes I,m hungry" as he threw a pillow at her ,"hum so its a fight

you want Lorraine said as she tried to throw a cussion at him, Peter ducked "missed " with a cheeky grin on his face

Peter pulled Lorraine into his arms and held her close and whispered "I love you Lorraine" into her ear.

They left the room hand in hand and said bye to Dan Lea and Drew then left for the restrant.

Peter knew Lorraine deserved a fantastic meal as a treat but did not want to go into the city because he had work the next day ,and it would be rather a long drive for both of them so he,d booked a table at a nice little place in Yabby Creek.

they pulled up out side a beautiful restrant dim lights on the tables making the whole place feel cosy , a waiter came up to them "have you a reservation sir" Peter said he had booked a table in the nameof Bake about two hours ago, "ah yes said the waiter will you come this way and showed them to a secluded table in the corner "is this alright for you sir",

"Yes Peter said "perfect".

Lorraine slipped her jacket off and the waiter hung it up for her,"thank you " I,ll go and get you the menu sir"

"oh and can we have your best bottle of champayne.

"Yes sir certanly "and also could you give us a few moments Peter said,

"Yes sir and went away with a smile on his face.

Peter pulled a box out of his pocket and placed it on the table, Lorraine looked "hang on is that what I think it is "

Peter smiled "well you did say yes"

Lorraine opened the tiny box to find a beautiful diamond ring "omg it,s beautiful " Peter picked out the ring from the box ans placed it on her finger, he bought her hand up to his lips and kissed her fingers.

She looked at the ring sitting on her finger and she took hold of Peter,s hands "I never thought this day would happen but i,m so happy."

Peter now had a confession to make "you know the other day when I rushed off leaving you with Dan ,"

"Yes "lorraine said getting slightly worried , "well I went to call my relation ship off with Amanda.

"But why" Lorraine asked,

"Well I knew thing,s between Amanda and me wernt working out , I knew there was some think missing and I just could ,nt put my finger on it, and when Alf came and found me and he said about a Lorraine Curtis being in the diner ,thats when I relised every thing just fell into place, you dont know how many times I tried not to think of you ,then when I found Drew and he,s so like you I knew I had to finish with Amanda.

Any way she wasnt there when I went round some thing about she,d gone to the city,.

Lorraine just sat there a little stunned Peter said "Lorraine you are my missing link in my life not Amanda or any one else you "," well did you tell her !"" no " Peter said she wasent there any way lets not worry about her ,tonight is about us you and me" but dont worry those thing,s I have to deal with but in the morning.

"Ok" Peter asked "I know it,s come as a shock but let,s concentrait on this evening."

They had a lovely meal and arrived home about eleven thirty Dan was still up and watching telly ,

"Had a good evening" he asked?

"Yes "they both rep;ied and with that whent to bed.

Chapter 10

Peter woke just before his alarm went off he reached out to switch it off so as not to disturb Lorraine, he rubbed his eyes thinking of work but also he had to confront Amanda, he skirmed at the thought f coming face to face with her.

He sat up in bed still thinking, this is no good he thought I have to get my self ready for work,he turned to wards Lorraine lying there sleeping, how beautiful she looked.

This was no good as he let out a rather big sigh, he reached for his robe as he got out of bed,little did he know a pair of eyes were watching him, as he got up he turned to look Lorraine had been watching all the time,

Hey you been peeking as Lorraine cought hold of Pete,s robe, good morning and how are you this bright morning,

Lorraine giggled come back to bed with a cheeky grin on her face, sweeheart I cant I ,ve gt to go and get a shower

before work, "spoil sport" Lorraine said and turned over and went back to sleep.

===================

Lea was in the kitchen preparing breakfast,"morning Pete she shouted as she heard Peter come out of the bedroom.

Pete yawned "morning he replied "just going for a shower ok".

"yea fine Lea said but dont belong i,m doing your breakfast",

Peter turned to the bathroom now for that shower, as he looked into the bathroom mirror gawd you look a mess he thought.

Pete turned the shower on slipped his robe off and got in hum thats nice he thought.

Lorraine sat up wiped her eyes hum she felt all warm inside, then she looked at her finger so it was right there on her finger was the most beautiful diamond she had ever seen, she thought she had dreamt it but no it was real.

Lorraine smiled with happines, she hoped Drew would be happy for her and his dad, now at long last they could be a family.

=====================

Lorraine had her legs dangling over the side of the bed, when Peter came back into the room with just a towel round his waist, "hum thats temptation" Pete looked I thought you would still be asleep it early you know",

"hum I know but well I cant sleep and it looks a beautiful day out side",

Peter came and sat next to her on the bed,""you ok you seem rather quiet"

"yea I,m ok just thinking thats all ",

Peter put his arms around her and gave her a cuddle I have to go to work ",

"I know" Lorraine said but it,s nice when your around and we spend time together",

"Look I,ll get finished as quickly as i can then we can have the day to ourselves how,s that",

Lorraine nodded ok,

"But remember I do have to go and see Amanda sometime to day."

==============================

Drew was eating his breakfast when his dad came into the kitchen,

"Hey dad can I have some money please",

"How much do you want " Peter asked with a sigh,

"I was thinking of taking Belle to the movies in Yabby Creek",

"well how much do you want his dad said again"

" about 30 "Drew said ,

Peter handed him over the money "and bye the way dont tell you mom" placing a finger across his mouth.

Lea laughed "oops",

"Dont tell your mom what" Lorraine said as she came into the kitchen, Peter hid his face "I,m outta here" he said

see you all later, Peter ! Drew ! as Lorraine looked from one to the other,

Lea was still having a giggle when Pete had gone,"men ay "

"Hum Lorraine said as Dan came into the room, "both Lea and Lorraine looked "what now what have I done",

"its not you Drew said it,s dad he,s in trouble for giving me money ",

============================

Dan commented "yes and i,ll be late come on Drew you ready ",

"ok Drew replied " bye mom oh nice ring",

"you ok about this son"

"sure mom what makes you and dad happy were a family now",as he planted a kiss on her forhead.

Lea asked if she could look at the ring "oh Lorraine it,s beautifull happy "?

Lorraine nodded "yes very happy".

=========================

Peter walked into the station to be greeted bye Laura Fitsgearald " congratulations Detective",

"Thanks Peter said "anyone want,s me i,ll be in my office"

"you,ve already got a visitor" Laura said,

Peter fround" who"

"Amanda Vale " Laura mimed "she,s still in your office",

Oh gawd Peter thought as he opened the door to his office, "hi" he said "and what bring,s you here ",

"well "Amanda said just to let you know i,m back from the city,

"Amanda do you think i,m stupid whar do you take me for",

"What are you going on about I just thought it was for thew best as we were fighting all the time so I gave us some space".

"No you were thinking of your self as per usall I came to your house a few days ago and that sister of yours

told me you had gone away",

"Well I left a note",

Peter shrugged his shoulders well I didnt get it not that it would have made a difference, were over Amanda it wont work were too much alike",

Amanda sat down with quite a thud looking shocked "so were finished "

"Yes"

Archived