Story Title: Goodbye My Lover

Type of story: 2 Parter

Main Characters: Jack and Martha

BTTB rating: G

Genre: Drama (Sadness)

Does story include spoilers: No

Any warnings: None

Summary: Jack and Martha fic.

So I was bored. And sad. So yeah, it's a crappy, soppy fic from me. Please leave a comment :)

“I love you” He whispered gently, gazing deeply into her beautiful eyes. He would never forget her, he promised himself that. Whenever she talked about times when she would no longer be there, no matter how true he knew it was, it broke his heart. It hurt him so much to know that this was happening to her and he felt so helpless within it all. If he could, he would make her better, make her live. He would cure her from this devastating disease and they’d live together forever, just like they had promised.

He was intent on staying with her, every second of everyday, until that time would come for her to go. They knew it was soon now, but neither wanted to believe it. They wanted to stay like this forever. They wanted to stop time at this moment, right now, and hold each other forever.

This is how it was supposed to be though, this was their fate, all they could do now was wait and hope and pray.

“I love you too” came her soft voice. She was looking back at him, lost in his eyes. She knew what he was thinking, she knew what was happening. This was it, this was the end yet she told herself not to believe it.

A large tear spilled down his soft cheek and rolled slowly onto his shirt, he didn’t move, or wipe it away, he didn’t want to loose her gaze. He was now reminded of when she had started her first cycle of the chemo, how scared she was, yet how brave she acted, she was doing the same now, he could see the fear in her eyes but she refused to admit it.

Cycle after cycle he had seen her waste away, watch as she became thinner and weaker, looked on as she lost all she had called her own and all he wanted to do was make it better. Looking at her now, she looked so different, so weak. But she was still the most beautiful woman he had ever seen his life. He adored her, from her head to her toes, her laughter to her feistiness, her smile to her frown. He loved ever part of her with all his heart and he would do until the end of time.

He was sure that in all his life, he had never met anyone with half the spirit she had, he had never talked to someone with such strong views, and someone who would do anything to stick up for what they believed in. He had told her all of this on their wedding day, the best day of his life.

Standing at the alter, hand in hand, he had showed her how he felt, spoke words which everyone present knew were true of her. And her words were true of him. They knew each other more then even they dared to believe, more than they knew themselves, and they loved it.

Whenever he thought of her it brought a smile to his face, even if thinking of their arguments, she would make him laugh. The things she said, the things she did, the way her nose twitched when she got angry. Like he told her when they were first getting to know each other, and she wasn’t too pleased with him at the time, but she later realised by avoiding him, she was avoiding her fate. Her destiny with the man she loved.

The loud, consistent beeping sound pulled him back from his thoughts, the flat line on the heart monitor, the deafening noise ringing in his ears. Before he knew what was going on, he was watching as the doctor rested his hand on her face, pulling her eyes closed.

“No” He whispered, so no one could hear.

“I’m sorry Mr Holden”, the doctor walked over to him, “she’s gone”, while the doctor turned around to the nurse and announced the time of death, Jack looked over at Martha’s peaceful form,

“But I didn’t get to say goodbye” he sighed, letting the tears fall.

Goodbye my lover.

Goodbye my friend.

You have been the one.

You have been the one for me.

I am a dreamer but when I wake,

You can't break my spirit - it's my dreams you take.

And as you move on, remember me,

Remember us and all we used to be

I've seen you cry, I've seen you smile.

I've watched you sleeping for a while.

I'd be the father of your child.

I'd spend a lifetime with you.

I know your fears and you know mine.

We've had our doubts but now we're fine,

And I love you, I swear that's true.

I cannot live without you.

Goodbye my lover.

Goodbye my friend.

You have been the one.

You have been the one for me.

I lvoe that song! Its one of the best ones,

Okay, so abit off topic...back to the fic.

I love your style of writing Lauraa (I swear, I almost typed Emma there :P(cuz I was thinking I havnt spoken to her in days)

Anyway, Sad fic...but great :)

Update soon hun

Well if this fic was suppose to make people cry then Laura I nearly am :( That was soo sad...Poor Jack...can't believe Martha's gone...I was waiting for the song to come in as soon as I saw the title, like Rosey said that is one of James Blunt's best songs...Update soon...xx

Archived