Writers Etiquette

Guest Skykat

I'd actually forgotten I'd suggested this but seeing as a few people agreed I'll start it. I'm just going to pin it for now, until it gets going and it can probably be added to the pinned topics thread once it's fully up and running.

Thanks to emmasi for the inspiration and to Jess (sevenpuddings) for the topic title.

The way I think this should work is like the tutorials thread in the Artwork and Creations section whereby writers post tutorials (lessons) on good writing habits. It can also include tips, advice on anything relating to writing so structure, grammar, spelling, punctuation. If there's a question you want to ask, a spelling you're unsure of etc, you can ask it in here and another writer can answer.

This thread is not designed to take anything away from Nicole's fantastic proof reading thread. I'd still recommend having a proof reader look over your work because quite often they'll pick out things that you miss.

Online Resources

Online Dictionary: Simply type in the word how you think it is spelled, if you get it right it will provide a link to the definition. If you get it wrong it will suggest possible words you might mean and if you click on them you will see an explanation of the word and can figure out if it's the word you mean or not.

Online thesaurus: You know what you want to say but can't think of the right word? Type in similar words and this will suggest possible alternatives you can use plus an explanation of what each means.

Reference.com: The homepage to the above sites. Contains lots of useful links including language translators for foreign writers and lots of links you can use for reference.

I'll keep adding to the links and if anyone has a link to add please PM me.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We can see how it goes anyway and I'll start by posting the tutorial Emmasi posted in the fanfic request thread regarding format.

Tutorial area: Format

Author: emmasi

You should start a new line when someone new starts talking, and the "he said, she said" stuff normally goes at the end or in the middle of what is being said. When it's in the middle of the dialogue, you can work out where it's meant to go by reading it out loud, and where you take a break, like at the end of the first sentence, that's where you put the "she said."

This sort of stuff just makes things easier to read, otherwise it can get a bit confusing as to who's saying what.

Example: (Writing credited to SarahLewis).

“Rachel where are you?” Kim yelled out, Rachel replied “I’m in here, Tasha came over before and asked if I’d look after baby Ella” Kim said “why what’s she doing?” Rachel replied happily “she had to go to the city, Josie wanted her for something “ Kim said “oh ok!” Rachel replied “you don’t sound very happy with it” Kim said walking into the room “No no I’m ok with it I was just asking!”

change to:

“Rachel, where are you?” Kim yelled out.

“I’m in here," Rachel replied. "Tasha came over before and asked if I’d look after baby Ella.”

“Why, what’s she doing?” Kim asked.

“She had to go to the city," Rachel replied happily. "Josie wanted her for something “

“Oh ok.”

“You don’t sound very happy with it.”

“No no," Kim said walking into the room, "I’m ok with it, I was just asking!”

This might be teaching some people to suck eggs but some people might find it useful.

Tutorial: common errors

Author: SKYKAT

1# Effect/ Affect.

Affect is a verb meaning to influence and effect is a noun meaning the result of an influence.

An easier way to put it is that 'affect' is something that is or is not going to happen and effect is something that has already happened.

Examples:

How is this going to affect me?

Matilda's scars are going to affect her confidence.

(These are examples that are or are not going to happen)

Have you seen the effect this has had on me?

The effect of Matilda's scars on her confidence.

(These examples have already happened.)

2 # Accept / Except

Accept is to recieve, approve or agree

Except is to exclude or leave out.

Examples:

Ric accepted Beth's appology.

Beth accepted Matilda and Ric's relationship.

Everybody was invited to the party except Cassie.

Before Brad Sally had never loved anybody except Flynn.

3 # Advise/ Advice

Advise is the verb to suggest something.

Advice is the noun for the suggestion or recommendation.

The easiest way to understand this one is that if the suggestion is being given the word to use is advise but if it has already been received then it is advice.

Examples:

Tony advised Jack not to give up on his marriage.

Jack refused to listen to Tony's advice.

4 # Where/ were/ wear/ we're

Where is talking about a place or a point in time.

Were is the past tense of are.

Wear applies to something you have or put on you.

We're is actually an abbreviation of we are.

Examples

Robbie wears glasses. (They're something he has or puts on him)

We're here. (Would make just as much sense if you changed it to we are here)

Where are my car keys? (asking about a place)

They're where you left them (again refering to a place).

Who were you going to see? (The present tense would be who are you going to see?)

'Were' is the most difficult of the four to understand and if you can't get your head around which it should be try out all four and see which fits so:

What wear Martha and Jack rowing about? (No mention of clothing or something they put on themselves therefore wear is wrong)

What we're Martha and Jack rowing about? (What we are Martha and Jack rowing about just sounds strange so we're is wrong).

What where Martha and Jack rowing about? (Question has nothing to do with a place therefore were is wrong)

What were Martha and Jack rowing about? (If it was happening now you'd say what are Martha and Jack rowing about? And that makes sense so were is the right word to use in this sentence.

5 # There / Their/ They're

There is referring to a place.

Their is something that belongs to them or something they do.

They're is an abbreviation of they are.

Examples:

There it is.

Your keys are over there Beth.

Robbie and Tasha are coming round with their baby Ella.

Brad is their principle.

They're coming.

They're here.

6 # To / Too/ Two

Two is the number.

Too is another word for also.

To is a joining word.

Examples:

Come here you two. (You're talking to two people, therefore referring to a number.)

I'd like you to hear this too. (If you substitute too for also it still makes sense).

to joins the sentence together.

If you're unsure on this one its best to try all and see which one fits.

I'm going two the shops. (no numbers mentioned so this is wrong)

I'm going too the shops. (I'm going also the shops, sounds silly therefore not too)

So the answer is I'm going to the shops.

Tutorial: spelling/synonyms

Author: emmasi

A handy tip for spelling is to type the word out in Word with Spellcheck on, and if a red squiggle appears under it, that is not the correct spelling :P. Then just keep changing the spelling until you get it right. That's what I do.

eg:

Necesary = red line = incorrect

Nessecary = red line = incorrect

Necessary = no line = correct

(If a green line appears, don't worry. That's just a grammatical error, and when you're typing random words, the computer will often read it as incorrect. Just ignore it in this instance.)

If you have autocorrect on, it may change the word for you to the correct spelling automatically. If that happens, you should take note of the change that has been made for you.

Of course that can sometimes lead to using the wrong word altogether, so if you're still not sure, get a dictionary. Or, if you can't be bothered finding a dictionary (and I rarely can) right-click on the word and go the the Synonyms. Synonyms are words that can be used in the place of another word. Usually there'll be a short list of alternative words, and from those you can determine the meaning of the word you've used. For example:

Necessary --> Synonyms -->

essential

needed

required

compulsory

obligitory

indispensable

basic

crucial

If there are no Synonyms, get a dictionary :P

Using the Synonyms function is also a good way to broaden your vocabulary.

Example: (Writing credited to SarahLewis).

“Rachel where are you?” Kim yelled out, Rachel replied “I’m in here, Tasha came over before and asked if I’d look after baby Ella” Kim said “why what’s she doing?” Rachel replied happily “she had to go to the city, Josie wanted her for something “ Kim said “oh ok!” Rachel replied “you don’t sound very happy with it” Kim said walking into the room “No no I’m ok with it I was just asking!”

change to:

“Rachel, where are you?” Kim yelled out.

“I’m in here," Rachel replied. "Tasha came over before and asked if I’d look after baby Ella.”

“Why, what’s she doing?” Kim asked.

“She had to go to the city," Rachel replied happily. "Josie wanted her for something “

“Oh ok.”

“You don’t sound very happy with it.”

“No no," Kim said walking into the room, "I’m ok with it, I was just asking!”

What a usefull thread! I have a question if I'm using the above writing style would I need to put a space in between the discriptions, for example.

We spent the next twenties minutes catching up on I had missed out on.

"I just can't believe it!" I said

OR

EDIT: I don't know what the boxes are :huh: I did it the way I normally do ....

What a usefull thread! I have a question if I'm using the above writing style would I need to put a space in between the discriptions, for example.

OR

EDIT: I don't know what the boxes are :huh: I did it the way I normally do ....

First of all, thanks :D. Second of all, I'm not great with paragraphs myself, but the general rule seems to be that you start a new paragraph for a new thought. So, to answer your question, it would depend on what the "I just can't believe it!" is refering to.

So if you were saying, 'We spent the next twenty minutes catching up on what I had missed out on,' and the "I just can't believe it!" was a part of that thought - as in you're astonished that it's taken twenty minutes to catch up - I'd say keep it in the same paragraph. If however you were to go on and say, "I just can't believe it!" I said. "Who knew that all that could have happened while I was away?" then... you might want to start a new paragraph, because that's a different thought; now you're not talking about catching up, you're specifically talking about what you've missed... if you get me...

Did I mention I'm not good with paragraphs :P?

Anyway, the main thing is to keep one person speaking per paragraph. If you were to have the other character start talking, you'd start a new line. Eg:

We spent the next twenty minutes catching up on what I had missed out on. "I just can't believe it!" I said.

"I know!" said my friend. "We've been talking for ages!"

OR

We spent the next twenty minutes catching up on what I had missed out on.

"I just can't believe it!" I said. "Who knew that all that could have happened while I was away?"

"I know!" said my friend. "It's amazing!"

I should point out that it's 6.11am, so I'm not sure how much of that made sense. Hopefully some of it :P

Those boxes you're talking about, were they in place of these "" ? Because if you use the quick edit function, for some reason it will change those things to boxes. I have no idea why. If that happens, you just have to re-edit your post in full edit, and then when you complete the edit it should be back to normal. I've said edit too many times.

Im yet to make a fan fic, I just came in to this thread to see what it was about and I have to say I am VERY impressed. I think it's fantastic the way you guys all help and support each other in everything, it's one of the best things about this forum, and this thread just goes to show how great a forum it is. Ok i think im going to stop as it sounds like Im rambling :unsure: but im sure y'all get my drift! (I hope)

It is easier to read with different lines for each speaker, but why can't we just do THIS:

"I really don't get it, I'm sorry!" said Rocco...

"Well, you see, if X equals 90875643, and Y equals F, and A equals 423156789..." Sally tried to explain

"Ohhh...I'm confused" Rocco says.

Instead of:

"I really don't get it, I'm sorry!" said Rocco...

"Well, you see, if X equals 90875643, and Y equals F, and A equals 423156789..." Sally tried to explain

"Ohhh...I'm confused" Rocco says.

Sorry, I just don't really get it. Does that make sense?

Archived